Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I bought the JK right when it came out, scored a $500 under invoice deal and have been driving it happily ever since. I'll probably keep driving it to be honest, it has 180k-ish miles (bigger tires, no speedometer calibration). It's literally covered in salt and sand nonstop as I'm at the beach driving on sand quite a bit.

It's great for around town, but I don't quite trust it for longer trips, and I'd like to have something to take to the Outer Banks/Florida for surf/kite/foil when conditions are right. So.....looking at it, a regular JLU, or the Bronco. Right now, the Bronco is winning just because it's different than what I have.

Here's some questions:

1. The reliability issue concerns me, what's the overall maintenance year to year on it?
2. Most of my driving (90%) is under 21 miles, so that's a huge draw. My electrical bill in SC is pretty low per kwH to begin with. I'll research the cost/benefit analysis there.
3. I do itemize, so....tax wise I'm assuming that $7500 is still effective even on a '22 order?
4. Any dealers with invoice pricing, I'm ok waiting as long as the $7500 stays in place.
5. JK/JL owners, how's it compare?

·
Registered
164 Posts
So, I bought the JK right when it came out, scored a $500 under invoice deal and have been driving it happily ever since. I'll probably keep driving it to be honest, it has 180k-ish miles (bigger tires, no speedometer calibration). It's literally covered in salt and sand nonstop as I'm at the beach driving on sand quite a bit.

It's great for around town, but I don't quite trust it for longer trips, and I'd like to have something to take to the Outer Banks/Florida for surf/kite/foil when conditions are right. So.....looking at it, a regular JLU, or the Bronco. Right now, the Bronco is winning just because it's different than what I have.

Here's some questions:

1. The reliability issue concerns me, what's the overall maintenance year to year on it?
2. Most of my driving (90%) is under 21 miles, so that's a huge draw. My electrical bill in SC is pretty low per kwH to begin with. I'll research the cost/benefit analysis there.
3. I do itemize, so....tax wise I'm assuming that $7500 is still effective even on a '22 order?
4. Any dealers with invoice pricing, I'm ok waiting as long as the $7500 stays in place.
5. JK/JL owners, how's it compare?
I can answer question 5. I had a 2012 JK Sport, 6 speed manual. I never thought I’d want to give up my stick shift but as I’m getting older I was starting to get tired of shifting. I am absolutely loving the 4xe. My 2012 was super reliable and I was hesitant to trade up but this vehicle is so awesome. The biggest thing for me since I do a lot of highway driving is having so much more acceleration. And the technology (touch screen, back up camera) is fun to have, which I didn’t have in the JK.

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
74 Posts
The reliability issues all seem to be poor assembly issues, and the issues are not because they put in defective powertrains, or created a dangerous design problem (look at the 737 max). The common issues are simple like the systems they use to assemble the fuse box did not push in all the fuses, or the high voltage harness was not fully connected, and somehow came loose. I am sure there are other problems, but the majority seem to be these types of issues.

The $7500 tax credit is by manufacturer, and Stellantis only really started using it recently, they have to sell a lot of EV and Hybrids to reach their quota, it will take a few years. I heard there is legislation on the table to increase it to $10,500 next year, and give all the manufacturers even more vehicle quota’s, so even GM and Tesla vehicles will be eligible again.

Most of our driving too is under 21 miles, and the Jeep is great for that, make sure to get a level 2 charger so you can get it charged back up in 2.5 hours and you could probably drive it exclusively on electric. The Jeep has a countdown meter on your gas tank, and it counts down 90 days from the time you filled it, after 90 days it will start prioritizing the gas engine, so it can get rid of the stale gas, and it will stay in that mode until you deplete most of you tank, and fill it back up.

I read they sold out of the 2021’s, so the 2022’s might be your only option. The 4xe is going to be here for a while, next year it will be the only type of Wrangler they could sell in Europe, and as emissions tighten up here to European standards, it might become the only type of Jeep they sell in North America too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
to get a level 2 charger so you can get it charged back up in 2.5 hours and you could probably drive it exclusively on electric. The Jeep has a countdown meter on your gas tank, and it counts down 90 days from the time you filled it, after 90 days it will start prioritizing the gas engine, so it can get rid of the stale gas, and it will stay in that mode until you deplete most of you tank, and fill it back up.

I read they sold out of the 2021’s, so the 2022’s might be your only option. The 4xe is going to be here for a while, next year it will be the only type of Wrangler they could sell in Europe, and as emissions tighten up here to European standards, it might become the only type of Jeep they sell in North America too.
The reliability issues all seem to be poor assembly issues, and the issues are not because they put in defective powertrains, or created a dangerous design problem (look at the 737 max). The common issues are simple like the systems they use to assemble the fuse box did not push in all the fuses, or the high voltage harness was not fully connected, and somehow came loose. I am sure there are other problems, but the majority seem to be these types of issues.

The $7500 tax credit is by manufacturer, and Stellantis only really started using it recently, they have to sell a lot of EV and Hybrids to reach their quota, it will take a few years. I heard there is legislation on the table to increase it to $10,500 next year, and give all the manufacturers even more vehicle quota’s, so even GM and Tesla vehicles will be eligible again.

Most of our driving too is under 21 miles, and the Jeep is great for that, make sure to get a level 2 charger so you can get it charged back up in 2.5 hours and you could probably drive it exclusively on electric. The Jeep has a countdown meter on your gas tank, and it counts down 90 days from the time you filled it, after 90 days it will start prioritizing the gas engine, so it can get rid of the stale gas, and it will stay in that mode until you deplete most of you tank, and fill it back up.

Great info, especially on the tax break. The issues if not systemic to the electical system are not as concerning though, early issues with assembly is to be expected to be honest. I do hate that a manual is not an option, ha it would be cool if with the gas engine it would still work, but I get it. Yeah, so basically 20 miles per day, if that, no issue charging at home for 12 hours between. My main concern would be the beating I basically give a vehicle, not so much rock crawling and all of that, but more sand, mud, etc. I'm wondering how a constant layer of sand/salt will do with batteries/electronics. I did the video of the batteries under the seats, can that area still be washed out with drain plugs?

·
Registered
20 Posts
So I'm a 2014 stock Rubi to a 2 week old 2021 4xe Rubi...can't speak to off-roading yet, but just daily driving (work from home, so just kids & errands), the feel is night and day to me...so much so that I kinda long for the feel of my '14 Rubi. That said - it is quite the refined driving experience and I do enjoy it. I am creating reasons to go out for a drive all the time....in all electric mode...it's truly something to experience in a Wrangler!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Still looking, hard to get over the fact there's no manual. It would be interesting to 4x4 in silence. Also - I am intrigued by the fact that 90% of my driving is under 28 miles round trip (roughly 20 R/T) once a day. I'm in South Carolina, and my current energy usage is running 12 cents per KWH, so I'm wondering how much money savings that would be. I'll look for some calculators.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I had an 08 JK… can’t really compare… I passed 2 JKs trying to go up a grade the other day in the right lane.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Still looking, hard to get over the fact there's no manual. It would be interesting to 4x4 in silence. Also - I am intrigued by the fact that 90% of my driving is under 28 miles round trip (roughly 20 R/T) once a day. I'm in South Carolina, and my current energy usage is running 12 cents per KWH, so I'm wondering how much money savings that would be. I'll look for some calculators.
Savings is personal… some weeks I use no gas. Other weeks ppl piss me off so I floor it to get around them… then your into the gas :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, well one thing I didn't quite read is the tax credit. We itemize/own businesses so......it generally works out to where we have a refund (at least the last few years). I could plan on adjusting withholding in 2022 to offset, but that would mean delaying purchase until that year as well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
So I'm a 2014 stock Rubi to a 2 week old 2021 4xe Rubi...can't speak to off-roading yet, but just daily driving (work from home, so just kids & errands), the feel is night and day to me...so much so that I kinda long for the feel of my '14 Rubi. That said - it is quite the refined driving experience and I do enjoy it. I am creating reasons to go out for a drive all the time....in all electric mode...it's truly something to experience in a Wrangler!!
I just got mine - and I agree with you. I kind of miss the bounce of my 15 JKU - the 4xe is almost too smooth but love it all and all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts