Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the 110v outlet on the Wrangler 4XE is still based off the 12v battery or does it draw off the main battery?

If it's based on the 12v battery does anyone have an idea of how hard it would be to add an aftermarket mod to add a 110v on the main battery? Especially with the e-save option this capability would make this vehicle a dream overlanding rig for people who also want to work remotely. A 17kwh battery would run a high-powered laptop and a Starlink dish for a long time!

Especially since it sounds like the car can be run effectively as a generator in a pinch for battery power as well?

thanks

·
Registered
264 Posts
Is the 110v outlet on the Wrangler 4XE is still based off the 12v battery or does it draw off the main battery?

If it's based on the 12v battery does anyone have an idea of how hard it would be to add an aftermarket mod to add a 110v on the main battery? Especially with the e-save option this capability would make this vehicle a dream overlanding rig for people who also want to work remotely. A 17kwh battery would run a high-powered laptop and a Starlink dish for a long time!

Especially since it sounds like the car can be run effectively as a generator in a pinch for battery power as well?

thanks
The way the vehicle is set up (in the simplest of terms) the high voltage battery is connected to the DC to DC converter which then supplies power to the 12 volt system. There’s no need (nor do you want to) to connect to the high voltage battery. Instead of having an alternator, the DC to DC converter supplies power from the high voltage battery. If you put the vehicle in eSave then select Battery Charge in the hybrid system screen, the gas engine will charge the high voltage battery which feeds the rest of the electrical system down stream.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you saying that the 12v battery essentially can't run dry unless the main battery is dry? That would be great and probably good enough for my needs.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Are you saying that the 12v battery essentially can't run dry unless the main battery is dry? That would be great and probably good enough for my needs.
From everything I’m seeing, yes. What I haven’t tested is what happens if you run the 12 volt battery down. That’s my big question right now. I don’t know if there is a point that the vehicle will disconnect the 12 volt from the DC to DC converter to preserve the 400 volt battery or if it will start the gas engine. That’s the big question mark for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah yeah, I see. Thanks a lot(!) this is really great information I haven't been able to find anywhere else. The Jeep salespeople had no idea.

·
Registered
65 Posts

thanks
What you are asking for is a system available in the new Ford F-150 hybrid. They have as an option a 7.5kW series of outlets, including a 240v, 30 amp outlet In the truck bed. When the hybrid battery starts running down, the truck engine turns on and starts charging it. Just like your run of the mill $80,000 RV generator.
‘The folks at TFL asked the 4xe designer about adding this feature to the Jeep 4xe and the response was it was being considered.
I suspect the 120v outlet is powered by the 12v battery for the engine. if You look at the specs of the 4xe, the 12v battery is charged by a 2.5kW DC to DC converter. This means the 12v battery is being charged by the main 17kW battery. So if the power draw of your equipment is within the 150w maximum output of the plug in the Jeep, you can use it, until the main battery runs out. 150 watts is not much capacity.
OR, you can add your own inverter under the hood and increase your 120v capacity, since the main battery is what charges the 12v battery. This will let you achieve what you want today.
There is No alternator on the 4xe engine.
Be careful what size inverter you add and where you install it. A 600 watt inverter, which should power most of what you need for computer, satellite, etc. Draws 5 amps at 120volts, but from the battery to the inverter at 12 volts, it draws 50 amp. That’s some serious current draw. So you want to use large wires and keep them short or you will, burn up the inverter, burn up the wires or start a fire. So unless you understand it well, get some professional help To install it.
‘Very important on the 4xe, if you are going to mess with the battery, pull fuse F-09, that disables the IDCM, which is the computer brain for charging both batteries.
I installed a 2000 watt inverter in my RV, the wires are 4/0, that’s the size of your thumb and they are 2 foot long.
‘From the Stellntis website. I hope my Jeep has Wrangler on its side and not Stellantis....
The Wrangler 4xe hybrid system includes an Integrated Dual Charging Module (IDCM), which combines a battery charger and a DC/DC converter in a single unit that is more compact than two separate components, and a next-generation Power Inverter Module (PIM) that is reduced in size.
Remember, pull the F-09 fuse before working on the battery.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Ah yeah, I see. Thanks a lot(!) this is really great information I haven't been able to find anywhere else. The Jeep salespeople had no idea.
I guess I’m going to have to do a test at the house some time by just hooking up some stuff to the battery and seeing what happens. I have to assume that the DC to DC converter will disconnect before draining the 400 volt battery. Or, it will call for the engine to start. But I’m thinking a random call to start the engine would be a safety issue.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Rather than DC > AC > DC, you can now get decent 45W USB-C chargers run off the cigarette lighter. I use this $18 one with my 2018 MacBook Pro 13". It may not be sufficient for the 15".

I was annoyed by USB-C in the beginning, but now starting to dig it :)

Not sure how much power you can get from the onboard USB-C outlets, but guessing 12W it probably the max.

PS: Got my Hellayella JLUR 4xe last night :)

·
Registered
610 Posts
Is the DC to DC converter active in ACC mode? I'll listen for the switches.

I'm also curious what happens when the 12 battery goes bad. Would a total 12V failure prevent the 400V contact switches from closing? Thus resulting in a dead battery? Can a regular jump start be used?

What impact does the hood being open have on all these conditions too?

So many questions, but this info could be helpful for post hurricane living.

·
Registered
70 Posts
If you drain the 12V starter battery all vehicle electrical is inoperative even with a full hybrid battery charge requiring a jump start. Once jump started vehicle is operable even with the depleted battery even when the motor stops running (and stops charging the battery!). If you turn off ignition the vehicle will need to be jumped again. My experience has taught me that the vehicle electrical system appears to be wired like the conventional gas JLU and that the hybrid drive is integrated as an add on (which actually makes sense from an engineering and manufacturing standpoint). My only concern is that a dead battery situation does not allow you to charge the battery by idling the motor as you cannot force the 4xe into ‘idle engine while stopped’ mode. If you get a jump start, plan to drive the vehicle for 15-20 minutes in manual sport mode to force the engine to run and recharge the starter battery!

·
Registered
610 Posts
If you drain the 12V starter battery all vehicle electrical is inoperative even with a full hybrid battery charge requiring a jump start. Once jump started vehicle is operable even with the depleted battery even when the motor stops running (and stops charging the battery!). If you turn off ignition the vehicle will need to be jumped again. My experience has taught me that the vehicle electrical system appears to be wired like the conventional gas JLU and that the hybrid drive is integrated as an add on (which actually makes sense from an engineering and manufacturing standpoint). My only concern is that a dead battery situation does not allow you to charge the battery by idling the motor as you cannot force the 4xe into ‘idle engine while stopped’ mode. If you get a jump start, plan to drive the vehicle for 15-20 minutes in manual sport mode to force the engine to run and recharge the starter battery!
Good to know, I couldn't find anything when reading through the manual.

I did listen for the 400V battery switches and they do seem to activate when powering on to ACC. I suspect at that moment it may be providing charge to the 12V battery. When powering on I did not hear any additional clicking.

Now, is that charge being provided when the hood is up? :unsure:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts