Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner

17.3 kWh battery and no way to use it!

9K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  One Eyed Mack 
#1 ·
Wranglers are built for off-roading and camping. These are activities where people may want use to bring along a fridge, a heater, play some music, or many other activities. Why the heck didn't Jeep add in an outlet that can access this MASSIVE battery to use when camping? It seems like such a huge selling point but I can't fathom why it wasn't done. I'm sure someone here may have an answer or maybe I'm missing it and there is a way. I'm curious as to what it is! Running off the 12v battery and then running the engine to charge up the 12v battery risks accidentally draining it and having a dead Jeep. What are your thoughts?

#3 ·
The 4XE maintains about 15-20% for hybrid operation already from my understanding, even when it says < 1%. This ensures it can still operate. The same parameters could be used and shut off power to the outlet if power dropped below a certain level that would prevent the ICE from functioning.

#5 ·
You run off the ICE when you go camping and leave it in battery save mode (since it's going to run out of juice the first 20 minutes into the drive anyways, it's useless). 17.3kwH doesn't let you drive far but it's a hell of a lot of juice for running a few appliances.

#6 ·
Aye, this is frustrating if it's not possible. The power it takes to move a 2.5 ton vehicle for 20min at 60mph should be plenty of power to run some appliances.

On a similar note, I'm really looking forward to testing how long the climate control systems last on battery alone

#7 ·
It would be cool to see us have access to the “big battery” — but that is pretty rare anywhere. Actually the first mass produced car I’ve seen with V2G/H capabilities will be the forthcoming Hyundai Ioniq5. That car will offer an adapter (presumably at a cost) that will allow up to 3.6kW charging OFF the car’s big battery, Keep in mind though that the big battery on that car is over 400% larger, and could therefore last 20 hours running 3.6kW of power.

Our car could benefit from at least having a 110v 15a output, or 1.65kW load. That would give us 8-9 hours of load capabilities, which would be great. It really wouldn’t be hard to Jeep to add this down the road with an adapter, and a software update. Perhaps the 2nd version 4XE will include such a feature.

#9 ·
Yeah I've watched this video and the trick of pulling the door sensor and leaving the Jeep in ACC or Run is definitely a possibility, though I wouldn't want to go on a hike and leave the key in the Jeep to keep the fridge running. He definitely shows that it's possible though to keep the 12V battery charged from the hybrid battery while pulling a huge load on it.

#10 ·
The 12 volt battery would probably run a fridge for 2 days before it would be an issue, I regularly ran my ARB 50 fridge in various Jeeps over the years with just the starting battery from a Friday night to Sunday afternoon without running the Jeep, the starting battery would have no problem running a fridge while you go on a hike. If your going to pull more watts/amps then just the fridge, you may need additional power from another battery or solar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.