Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When is the 1st OIL change due on your 4xe? Is it every 5000 miles? Anything special we need to know before taking it to the dealer? Thks

·
Registered
116 Posts
I asked this same question when I got my 4xe that summer and everyone said to just go by the oil life indicator on the instrument cluster as it will tell you when it’s time. At 10,000 miles the oil life was still at 23% for me, but I decided to get it changed then anyway.

According to the Mopar app, every 10k miles is the recommended interval.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I asked this same question when I got my 4xe that summer and everyone said to just go by the oil life indicator on the instrument cluster as it will tell you when it’s time. At 10,000 miles the oil life was still at 23% for me, but I decided to get it changed then anyway.

According to the Mopar app, every 10k miles is the recommended interval.
Its not recommended its the maximum allowed should you want to maintain warranty coverage

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think it depends on your use of the electric engine vs ICE. Mileage reflects both, but the electric miles don't impact the oil for the ICE. I anticipate that is the reason an oil change is not likely necessary as frequently as we might anticipate.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I’ve built a few motors myself, obviously required a lot of research to learn how. My first oil change would be in 60 seconds of running the engine. Then 5-10 minutes. Than hard break-in procedure, change again. Than 100 miles, then 500 miles. Then 2000 miles. Then switch to full synthetic at normal intervals. That’s what a highly experienced engine builder taught me.

Yes a modern engine built by a major manufacturer will not need that. But it’s still an undeniable fact that all new engines will have lots of metal in the oil when they are brand new and you start driving it. There is plenty of evidence of this out there. There is no way the engine manufacturer wastes all that money to replicate a full genuine break in. 500+ miles of simulation is a lot of time and fuel.

How harmful it is to your engine is debatable, I mean that’s what oil filters are for. An oil filter should catch anything big enough to be harmful.

But combine that with the fact that there really isn’t any incentive for the manufacturer to recommend an early oil change. These things usually do not effect engines in short term.

Personally, I don’t know if it’s necessary, but I’m definitely not waiting 10k miles. I intend to do the first oil change at 1-2k, but I will probably procrastinate to 3k-4k miles.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Like I said my statement still stands, the owners manual that came with your vehicle states exactly what i did. Using the "app told me" excuse wouldn't fly when it comes to a warranty claim
Yep, you’re correct. Interesting question I was wondering about… a lot of people do their own oil changes, so could any warranty claims be denied if they’re not done by a dealer? How does that work? The dealer at least has the documentation in their systems, but John Q. Jeeper who does his own oil changes wouldn’t have truly verifiable documentation, right?

·
Registered
2022 4xe Rubicon
15 Posts
I waited until I had just over 500 miles of ICE mileage, and it felt icky waiting that long.

I plan on going 3000 max ICE mileage between changes, as my usage often doesn’t allow engine to fully come up to temp for oil to shed moisture.

Break-in oil was shiny. I’ll Blackstone the next few changes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts