Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello...I'm a first time Jeep owner as I purchased a 4xe HA last month. I've always been more of a speed-demon kind of guy, but I guess age and (hopefully) wisdom are catching up to me. We love our new Jeep and I'm already spending some small $$$ on upgrades.

Just came out of a 2019 Audi e-Tron, so very familiar with the EV life. Before that was a long line of mostly German cars: 911s, Panameras, Boxsters, M3, X5M, RS7, S7 and even an older RX7 and GTO. One month with this Wrangler and it's already towards the top of my list (nothing will take the place of my 911/Boxsters).

Looking forward to getting a better solution to taking the hard-top off as my wife can't handle the weight...so that's where I'll be spending some time here...getting guidance and wisdom from others.

Reactions: mule65 and Kenji

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
like this thing ?
Yes...one of the options, but not sure I want to spend the $$$ for it, esp when it's going to be sitting empty for a large portion of the year just taking up space in the garage. Been thinking about putting in my own DIY system that only leaves 4 Hook Screws visible in the ceiling when not in use and uses 'free space' in the garage.

Reactions: mule65 and Kenji

·
Registered
157 Posts
Plenty of options for inexpensive winches as long as you have the garage ceiling for it. I plan on getting the Lange hard too hoist eventually. Easy to pull the top off and stores on the cart itself.

Congrats on your first Jeep!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Plenty of options for inexpensive winches as long as you have the garage ceiling for it. I plan on getting the Lange hard too hoist eventually. Easy to pull the top off and stores on the cart itself.

Congrats on your first Jeep!

Yep, another one on my radar as well as the RollnJack. I was gifted a Hardtop Cart for Fathers Day, if I go with any of these hoist solutions then I’ll just sell that since it won’t be needed. Just not sure I want to take up more real estate in my garage for one of these options, or just hang it from the ceiling with a few Eye Hook screws and some ratchet straps.

For some reason my wife doesn’t like the idea of a few screws in the ceiling (new house) but is ok with a bulky hoist/contraption. The thing is, when the top is installed on the vehicle, the straps will be stored is my shelving and only the 4 screws remain in the ceiling. I’m sure she’s also worried about it falling and damaging not only the Jeep, but her new ride as well. I just need to show her a few pics/videos so she can see what it looks like and how sturdy it is (assuming the hooks are properly installed in the joists).

·
Registered
91 Posts
Here you go my friend, all solutions for hardtop from 100$ to 1000$. I prefer the hoist on celling just around 150$ And 2-3 hours build you problem solved

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I just made a trip to The Depot and picked up 4 Cam Straps and 4 hook eye screws. Since I already have a hard-top carrier, the plan is to use the straps mounted to the ceiling to lift the top off of the vehicle. If I'm only planning to keep it off for a day or two, I can simply leave it there. But if I'm going to be storing it for longer (or the wife is uncomfortable with it suspended), then the straps are long enough to lower it to the ground/cart.

Slow saturday planned, so hopefully will be able to get everything installed...only to see rain planned for Sunday (n)

Reactions: Shakes

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Job DONE. Was able to lift the top with some cam straps, then drop it down to a few inches above the ground to easily transfer it over to the storage cart. When I’m done, just remove the straps from the ceiling and all is clean and no worries about it crashing down later. I tend to believe I’ll be putting some miles in it this week!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
nice garage..do you need the water heater ?
It might be hot in Texas in the summer, but we still like hot water for showers and washing dishes. And as this last winter told us, we're not very good of dealing with frigid weather. The drip pipe from the heater actually froze INSIDE the garage during our winter storm, but thankfully didn't crack.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Next step: Doors Off + Mirrors. Before I go and find a solution for storing the doors, I need to get them off and get some miles in. BUT, I did order some mirrors from Kikbax (a 'local' N Texas business) a couple of days ago, being delivered tomorrow. These connect at the door hinges AND the door strap hook to keep them firmly in place...with a foot peg as an added bonus. Should be fun

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Those look slick. Curious how stable they are. I need to get some mirrors for when I remove the doors.
There's a few YT videos that sold me on them...here's a couple that shows how easy to install as well as how stable they are on the road:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
One additional update…got my Kikbax mirrors in last night which gave me the perfect excuse to take the doors off this morning. Hoping I can keep it nekkid thru the weekend.

Reactions: JeepBhoy and Shakes
1 - 16 of 16 Posts