Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the 4xe in May. Had a blast until a month ago when the check engine and service hybrid electric system light came on. I was in a middle of my vacation to yosemite…had to cancel rest of the trip and come home. I called local dealers around yosemite; all had no idea how to fix it and would not agree for a loaner vehicle.
I drove the vehicle back to Monterey where I live and turned it into the dealership where I was told that non of their mechanics know how to service the 4xe and need a jeep engineer to send them a “key” and to take them step by step. Needless to say my confidence was at an all time high.
20 days later I got my vehicle back. I’m told they reinstalled all the modules and updated software….
2 days later exact same lights are back on and the jeep is back in the shop.
I was planning on taking this vehicle to my overseas assignment but now I have no confidence; if it cant even be serviced here, I doubt I can get help elsewhere. In CA, 30days in the shop = lemon…sigh
@jeepcare

·
Registered
47 Posts
That's awful and it sucks to hear these stories. Are they giving you any indication of root cause? Per your description, it sounds like they're just re-seating all the connections and updating software and it works again for a while. Are these bad connections in the harnesses and terminals, bad connections inside the module(s), or shitty software? I've worked in enterprise IT for 25 years and I've seen a bad batch of cables shipped to many customers cause a wide range of random failures across a seemingly random selection of customers. I would expect Jeep is reviewing all the serial numbers of these failures and will be able to find a group of parts made within a certain range in a certain place that is a common denominator, but I've not seen that yet. I've not even seen any press about these issues... only in forums. Fortunately the NHTSA isn't warning us about parking in the garage yet (looking at you, Chevy Bolt), but I do hope this is being tracked at a macro level somewhere.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts