Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New to the 2.0L. Can anyone tell me if this "loose nut" rattle, that seems to be coming from inside the oil pan at 1,405 RPM is normal for the 2.0L. It is not present at 1,000 RPM or over 1,500 RPM. Did not notice it during the first month of ownership. Seems to be getting louder and the vehicle is idling near or @ 1,400 RPM more often, especially when first started up in hybrid when the ICE hasn't been used in a while. This goes on for over 2 minutes before the ICE shuts off on its own. Oil pump pickup tube rubbing on the pan maybe?

·
Registered
2021 4xe Rubicon sting grey
66 Posts
NVH issues can be tricky to diagnose. Were the oil pump pickup to be contacting the pan it would be present the entire time the engine is running.

I've seen exhaust leaks sound like rod knocks... your vid sounds like a knock but that is only relative to my perception.

I used to be a dealer tech and would get NVH issues from time to time. They can be frustrating to solve.

If your oil pressure is good then roll with it, tell the person doing your oil change to check for shavings. It's unlikely that there is a mechanical issue but shavings in the oil would prove an issue.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NVH issues can be tricky to diagnose. Were the oil pump pickup to be contacting the pan it would be present the entire time the engine is running.

I've seen exhaust leaks sound like rod knocks... your vid sounds like a knock but that is only relative to my perception.

I used to be a dealer tech and would get NVH issues from time to time. They can be frustrating to solve.

If your oil pressure is good then roll with it, tell the person doing your oil change to check for shavings. It's unlikely that there is a mechanical issue but shavings in the oil would prove an issue.

Best of luck.
Thanks for the info Rocksmith. Good point on the pickup tube touching would be continuous. It just sounds like something laying in the bottom of the oil pan bouncing around like 1911 parts in the bottom of the ultrasonic cleaner, but definitely RPM specific. :unsure:
Really hoping someone with a 2.0L 4xe or non-4xe comes on and says, "yep, they all make that noise".
Really tempted to pull that pan, but... I'll leave it for the service techs and the first oil change. Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts