Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New to the 2.0L. Can anyone tell me if this "loose nut" rattle, that seems to be coming from inside the oil pan at 1,405 RPM is normal for the 2.0L. It is not present at 1,000 RPM or over 1,500 RPM. Did not notice it during the first month of ownership. Seems to be getting louder and the vehicle is idling near or @ 1,400 RPM more often, especially when first started up in hybrid when the ICE hasn't been used in a while. This goes on for over 2 minutes before the ICE shuts off on its own. Oil pump pickup tube rubbing on the pan maybe?

·
Registered
2021 4xe Rubicon sting grey
199 Posts
NVH issues can be tricky to diagnose. Were the oil pump pickup to be contacting the pan it would be present the entire time the engine is running.

I've seen exhaust leaks sound like rod knocks... your vid sounds like a knock but that is only relative to my perception.

I used to be a dealer tech and would get NVH issues from time to time. They can be frustrating to solve.

If your oil pressure is good then roll with it, tell the person doing your oil change to check for shavings. It's unlikely that there is a mechanical issue but shavings in the oil would prove an issue.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NVH issues can be tricky to diagnose. Were the oil pump pickup to be contacting the pan it would be present the entire time the engine is running.

I've seen exhaust leaks sound like rod knocks... your vid sounds like a knock but that is only relative to my perception.

I used to be a dealer tech and would get NVH issues from time to time. They can be frustrating to solve.

If your oil pressure is good then roll with it, tell the person doing your oil change to check for shavings. It's unlikely that there is a mechanical issue but shavings in the oil would prove an issue.

Best of luck.
Thanks for the info Rocksmith. Good point on the pickup tube touching would be continuous. It just sounds like something laying in the bottom of the oil pan bouncing around like 1911 parts in the bottom of the ultrasonic cleaner, but definitely RPM specific. :unsure:
Really hoping someone with a 2.0L 4xe or non-4xe comes on and says, "yep, they all make that noise".
Really tempted to pull that pan, but... I'll leave it for the service techs and the first oil change. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So this is definitely not normal, right? The last 10 seconds it goes from 1,400 down to 1,000 and the noise dissipates.
I came across your post while googling the same thing about my 2.0T Cherokee. Did you ever find anything out or have any problems?

From what I can tell it's the high pressure fuel pump and injectors, which are loud at startup. This engine is direct injected and has a fuel pump near the fuel rail delivering 2900psi. The pump is cam driven, pretty sure that's what you're hearing, or the rapid ticking if the injectors. When my idle slows down and my engine is fully warmed up, the fast ticking settles into a rhythmic knocking a couple times a second, and has done it since I drove off the lot.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@SahrThundermane
Thanks for the info. This motor is a ticking time bomb. The rattling is present at startup and gets worse the more it is driven especially on long drives. It sounds like it's coming from the lower end, the oil pan specifically and you can feel it with your hand on the pan. Service center ordered a replacement oil pump and got it in last month, but they're not interested in pulling the pan and fixing anything at the moment.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
1,209 Posts
@SahrThundermane
Thanks for the info. This motor is a ticking time bomb. The rattling is present at startup and gets worse the more it is driven especially on long drives. It sounds like it's coming from the lower end, the oil pan specifically and you can feel it with your hand on the pan. Service center ordered a replacement oil pump and got it in last month, but they're not interested in pulling the pan and fixing anything at the moment.
You get this fixed??

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sadly the 4xe is still clattering away. There is still an open case for this and the fuel in the oil and the 13-14mpg. As far as I know the oil pump is still sitting on the shelf at the service center. The rattling has gotten worse and is now louder around 1,250-1,300 RPM. They would not drop the oil pan to do an inspection when I brought it in for an oil change, nor would they do the oil pump replacement without a field rep present but definitely agree something is wrong in the lower end. The pump was preordered so that the vehicle would not be out of service any longer than necessary since this 4xe has already been out of service so many times throughout 2021. They did promise multiple times to put in a whole new engine in it when/if this one leaves us stranded on the road somewhere.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
1,209 Posts
Sadly the 4xe is still clattering away. There is still an open case for this and the fuel in the oil and the 13-14mpg. As far as I know the oil pump is still sitting on the shelf at the service center. The rattling has gotten worse and is now louder around 1,250-1,300 RPM. They would not drop the oil pan to do an inspection when I brought it in for an oil change, nor would they do the oil pump replacement without a field rep present but definitely agree something is wrong in the lower end. The pump was preordered so that the vehicle would not be out of service any longer than necessary since this 4xe has already been out of service so many times throughout 2021. They did promise multiple times to put in a whole new engine in it when/if this one leaves us stranded on the road somewhere.
That’s too bad. Hope you get this resolved soon.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ya. Honestly, it's pretty embarrassing and obviously frustrating. Especially when so many people have asked me what is wrong with it. I can only respond that this is what you get with the new Jeep Wrangler 4xe. Even my daughter has asked me multiple times to stop picking her up from school in the Jeep because the clattering gets so much attention. Those are really the moments I wished Electric Mode would work reliably. Service center wants me to just keep driving it and see what happens.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts