Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

In December I am parking and flying, car will be left alone for 4 weeks. Anything I should do? I keep reading horror stories of these being left and coming back to them dead...

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
205 Posts
Since we don't have departure time feature.....we have to find some other way to force the vehicle to top off the LVB.

If it were me, I would turn off the radio and climate control heated seats and wheel.
Then park and lock it up.
Once a week, remote start via the app. Remote stop after 4-5 minutes.

This will force the DC/DC converter to wake up and will close the contactors to the HVB so it will charge the LVB.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I’ve been wondering about this as well. I thought I read that the lithium battery will seek to warm or cool itself depending on ambient temp. So, if the vehicle is going to parked in cold winter temperatures for a lengthy period, would it make sense to leave it plugged in to the charger?

·
Registered
82 Posts
I’ve been wondering about this as well. I thought I read that the lithium battery will seek to warm or cool itself depending on ambient temp. So, if the vehicle is going to parked in cold winter temperatures for a lengthy period, would it make sense to leave it plugged in to the charger?
This is what I was referring to…
BATTERY CONDITIONING
In extreme temperatures, high or low, the high voltage battery may need to be conditioned, and therefore may require the vehicle to be plugged in.
If the ambient temperature is 5°F (-15°C) or below at vehicle shut down, the instrument cluster will display the message “Plug In Vehicle To Condition Battery”.
If the battery temperature is below -22°F (-30°C), or 131°F (55°C) or above, the vehicle will NOT start:
 If the vehicle is plugged in at these battery temperatures, the instrument cluster will display the message “Please Leave Key In RUN — Battery Conditioning Needed”.
 If the vehicle is not plugged in at these battery temperatures, the “Plug In Vehicle To Condition Battery” will be shown in the instru- ment cluster display.
NOTE:
 When the “Please Leave Key In RUN — Battery Conditioning Needed” message is displayed, keep the ignition in the RUN posi- tion for the battery to recover. Place the igni-
tion back in the OFF position when the message disappears, and then start the vehicle. When this message is displayed, do not operate any air conditioning controls.
 Under these high or low temperatures, while the vehicle is plugged in and the ignition is in the OFF position, the vehicle may “wake up” to precondi- tion the high voltage battery for use.
 It is recommended that the vehicle be plugged in overnight when possible to maxi- mize the electric range of the vehicle.
 It is recommended that the High Voltage battery not be exposed to direct sunlight in high temperature environments while the vehicle is OFF. This may lower the life of the battery.
The messages will only be displayed when the ignition is in the RUN position and the high voltage battery is not ready to provide propulsion power. The messages will also display if there was a failed attempt to achieve READY state when the high voltage battery cell temperatures w

·
Premium Member
49 Posts
Hey guys,

In December I am parking and flying, car will be left alone for 4 weeks. Anything I should do? I keep reading horror stories of these being left and coming back to them dead...

Thanks in advance
How far is the airport from home? Would it be feasible for you to just hail an Uber or Lyft to the airport and leave your 4xe at home?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I never said it was… He’s looking for info on how to store his 4xe, that’s what I gave him.
Understood. I was noting this so people didn’t think there was something different about owning a hybrid (except for extreme temps). If you leave any car for a month, the battery may die.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
596 Posts
Understood. I was noting this so people didn’t think there was something different about owning a hybrid (except for extreme temps). If you leave any car for a month, the battery may die.
Absolutely, good point for sure.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Generally this would be true. However, keep in mind the LVB in a PHEV is more like the LVB found in a BEV which is to say they generally are lighter duty batteries since all they really need to do is start the computers and then power the various 12v devices (windows, fans, pumps, radio etc). Then factor into the equation that many EVs have bidirectional data transfers around the clock then it is easy to create a scenario where the LVB can be depleted quicker than a traditional ICE or even a mild hybrid.

All that being said......the 4xe is different than almost all other PHEVs in that Jeep provided a LVB that is nearly twice as strong as industry standard so your comments seem valid.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts