Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Purchased May 28 2021, less than 3000 miles, received a Charging Fault/service charging system error. The Jeep is still drivable, has not bricked, called dealership and they are out to Aug 18, to get it in to look at, still safe to drive? Not very happy with the wait to get it in. A bit grumpy to see others having the same problem, maybe should have waited to purchase until they worked the bugs out the first year.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Is the error on continuously and does it charge? I think people with similar issues reported either the battery needed to be replaced or the wiring harness.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the error on continuously and does it charge? I think people with similar issues reported either the battery needed to be replaced or the wiring harness.
It came on and stayed on. I read on the forum to check to make sure the fuses were seated, so I did that and made sure they were pushed all the way down. Then cycled the Jeep on and off a couple of times. The charging fault error then went away. I plugged it in and it charged to 100%. Then drove today and about 15 miles into driving the charging fault came back on. Still driving fine, not bricked as described by some in the forum. Just have to wait for the dealership to work on it in 9 days. A bit frustrating and a little worried when I read so many with similar issues.

·
Registered
462 Posts
@Steve4Xe_Jeep Hope it isn’t anything too serious. It seems like more and more people with issues like yours are getting their issues resolved. Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
1 Posts
It came on and stayed on. I read on the forum to check to make sure the fuses were seated, so I did that and made sure they were pushed all the way down. Then cycled the Jeep on and off a couple of times. The charging fault error then went away. I plugged it in and it charged to 100%. Then drove today and about 15 miles into driving the charging fault came back on. Still driving fine, not bricked as described by some in the forum. Just have to wait for the dealership to work on it in 9 days. A bit frustrating and a little worried when I read so many with similar issues.
Similar problem. I get the "service charging system" message after it has been parked and off for awhile. Ive gotten it while charging and unplugged. I simultaneously get the "Check plug status. Unplug vehicle before driving" message. It drives fine but when the message clears, the Jeep momentarily loses power. It has happened half a dozen times. Posting this in case anyone has had similar situation and resolution.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Purchased May 28 2021, less than 3000 miles, received a Charging Fault/service charging system error. The Jeep is still drivable, has not bricked, called dealership and they are out to Aug 18, to get it in to look at, still safe to drive? Not very happy with the wait to get it in. A bit grumpy to see others having the same problem, maybe should have waited to purchase until they worked the bugs out the first year.
Please keep us in the loop when your appointment is closer, Steve4Xe_Jeep. We would be happy to provide additional assistance while you're there.

Kate
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
30 Posts
@JeepCares Jeep has a major issue with these trucks.
Mine has been out of service for 3 weeks need a PIM eta November. My sister in law just had to get hers towed today with same lights on vehicle stopped on her on the hwy with her family in the car. This is not good at all. There needs to be a recall or something.
Just absurd your putting peoples lives at risk with these issues.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Steve4xe, I posted similar issues under Issues with the 4xe if you care to read the whole thing. Rather than retype the whole thing I will just give you what the dealer service department did to solve the problem. I picked up my 4xe from service today and so far so good. They recieved and replaced the charge port wiring harness. See attached for the part number. Also note the tech found an active code, POD57-00 internal short, when I took it in for the service. I am great full to the service department at my dealership. It was an intermittent problem which are hard to solve. They also told me that they send the faulty cable back for annalisiss.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Steve4xe, I posted similar issues under Issues with the 4xe if you care to read the whole thing. Rather than retype the whole thing I will just give you what the dealer service department did to solve the problem. I picked up my 4xe from service today and so far so good. They recieved and replaced the charge port wiring harness. See attached for the part number. Also note the tech found an active code, POD57-00 internal short, when I took it in for the service. I am great full to the service department at my dealership. It was an intermittent problem which are hard to solve. They also told me that they send the faulty cable back for annalisiss.
That was a weird diag. Most cars are needing a PIM (power inverter module) which are on endless back order

·
Registered
10 Posts
That was a weird diag. Most cars are needing a PIM (power inverter module) which are on endless back order
I've only had it back a day so we will see. I don't know what the charge port harness connects to but I would think if a short is bad enough and its connected to the PIM it could possably damage it. Just a thought though I'm no expert.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Your question about it being safe to drive. The answer is no. Check out @4xejeep on twitter and NHTSA website to see numerous complaints.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just a quick update. Went to the dealer today, they had 5 service bulletins, 1 of them was in reference to this issue. They completed software updates to several of the modules. I will keep you posted if this resolved the issue. I have included screen captures of the modules update and what they did in case it could be helpful to others.
Font Paper Document Paper product Event
Font Paper Document Terrestrial plant Paper product

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just a quick update on my case. 40+ days later the power inverter arrived. 3 days of labor and didn’t fix it.
Apparently needs a wire harness. Waiting on lemon law here to take over. Jeep is dragging their feet.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yikes. That is concerning for sure.
Now thats a fire hazzard for sure. Talked to my case manger and I told her I do not want this jeep back after seeing this and being out of service for over 40+ days.
She stated once the shop is done with the repair I am obligated to return my rental as they will not pay for it after that date. The buy back process is under review and could take
up to a month.
Jeep: Oh sure here Mr customer..... Let me give you your car back that almost started on fire. Please put your family in it, it will be fine

1 - 17 of 17 Posts