Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my 2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4XE a week ago. Just now, I noticed Carplay from the center console USB-2 disconnects frequently usually after 5-10 minutes of driving. This happens multiple times and it keeps disconnecting and reconnecting. I tried the USB-1 in the dash and the issue did not show up.
Any anyone with a remedy for this?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Unfortunately, this is an issue Jeep believes is fixed but seems to still be happening. Here's a thread on the JL forums discussing the issue and, on page 8, @JeepCares mentions that it should be fixed for any model built late 2020 or newer but I'm having the same experience in my 4xe with an April build date.

I've messaged Jeep Cares on that forum asking what I should do since the issues should supposedly be fixed, but that's been close to a week ago and I don't have a reply yet so I'm not sure I'll make any headway there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just got my 2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4XE a week ago. Just now, I noticed Carplay from the center console USB-2 disconnects frequently usually after 5-10 minutes of driving. This happens multiple times and it keeps disconnecting and reconnecting. I tried the USB-1 in the dash and the issue did not show up.
Any anyone with a remedy for this?
@JeepCares any updates on this?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have this with my iPhone 12 on an April build of the 4xe, but it does not happen with my wife's iPhone 11. Both are on the latest iOS.

It is not a dirty port because I use wireless charging 99% of the time and keep a rubber port plug in my phone otherwise to keep lint out of it.

I have not tried the dashboard connection, only the one in the center console.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Same issue with all the ports on mine. It’s like backup camera lines - hit and miss if they (lines or USB ports) work.

It’s frustrating and honestly pathetic they can’t fix these issues. I have two other cars (diff brands) that work flawlessly by wire or wirelessly with full
CarPlay. Jeep is way behind here.

Aside from those two ankle biter issues I do love the 4xe.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Unfortunately, this is an issue Jeep believes is fixed but seems to still be happening. Here's a thread on the JL forums discussing the issue and, on page 8, @JeepCares mentions that it should be fixed for any model built late 2020 or newer but I'm having the same experience in my 4xe with an April build date.

I've messaged Jeep Cares on that forum asking what I should do since the issues should supposedly be fixed, but that's been close to a week ago and I don't have a reply yet so I'm not sure I'll make any headway there.
I apparently spoke too soon. I just heard back from Jeep Cares on the JL forums. Standard first customer service message; told me to use an official Apple cord, clean my phone port, and unpair/repair my phone (all of which I'd already done). I've replied and let them know it still doesn't work from the USB2, so we'll see what they come back with next.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I apparently spoke too soon. I just heard back from Jeep Cares on the JL forums. Standard first customer service message; told me to use an official Apple cord, clean my phone port, and unpair/repair my phone (all of which I'd already done). I've replied and let them know it still doesn't work from the USB2, so we'll see what they come back with next.
Thank you for the update. I look for ward to their response.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have this problem with android, I have a iPhone for my work phone no problems with it though. I do have the the charge fualt issue as well tho and back up lines, it's at the dealership rn , they said that they are going to replace the battery wiring harness but no word when it will get there. @JeepCares

·
Registered
3 Posts
Taking my 4XE to the dealer tomorrow. I will update the thread if they have a fix for it. I am taking it to the CDJ in Tempe Arizona.
Great, looking forward to an update of some sort. I'd show them that thread I linked earlier just so they're aware of the issue in full. I've yet to hear back after the initial message from the Jeep Cares team, but I'll update here when I do.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hello everyone,

I came across this thread of your concerns and I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing concerns with your Uconnect system, predominantly with CarPlay, it seems? If anyone would like us to investigate their concerns or arrange additional help while working with your dealer to find a resolution, send our team a private message. That's what our team is here for!

I hope you get everything worked out smoothly!

Courtney
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hello everyone,

I came across this thread of your concerns and I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing concerns with your Uconnect system, predominantly with CarPlay, it seems? If anyone would like us to investigate their concerns or arrange additional help while working with your dealer to find a resolution, send our team a private message. That's what our team is here for!

I hope you get everything worked out smoothly!

Courtney
Jeep Cares
Thank You. Message sent. I also can’t get my USB Media port to maintain a CarPlay connection although everything works fine from the USB-1 Media port in the Media Panel.

·
Registered
201 Posts
My center console usb (usb2) just flat out does not work.
Sorry to hear that! If you'd like us to look into this for you, to see if there's any way we can get this sorted out, please don't hesitate to send us a private message!

Thanks,

Courtney
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to hear that! If you'd like us to look into this for you, to see if there's any way we can get this sorted out, please don't hesitate to send us a private message!

Thanks,

Courtney
Jeep Cares
Dear Jeep Cares - Is there a resolution to this issue? Just purchased my Rubicon 4xe on September 10th and it appears I have the suite of issues including: center console USB cutting out with CarPlay after a few min, Uconnect not showing car information, and backup camera guidelines not always working. Today I am focused on resolving the center console CarPlay issue as I am hoping Uconnect eventually self fixes. Please let me know. Thank you.

·
Registered
2021 4xe Rubicon
18 Posts
This indeed is a thing. I have used my phone connected via official cables after I had tried using an aftermarket wireless device to give me wireless CarPlay (thought the wrangler came with it but apparently wireless CarPlay is only on the grand Cherokee). It is very intermittent, in that I can go a few days and not have the issue, and then some days it’s every 5 minutes. Absolutely odd. But what I noticed because of the wireless adapter I was using is that it gets a delay and it builds up before it just reboots.
Makes me think it’s actually an issue with the usb standard. I believe the distance in cable from the second port is longer than the 1st.
Specifically I believe it is using the usb 1 standard and if it goes beyond 9 feet the connectivity is unreliable. Notice all both USB ports are white and not the 2.0 standard of blue.
Further standard 1.0 is more susceptible to noise and interference, especially if the shielding on the cables aren’t good enough.

if someone with more time was to wire a short lead and set it outside the dash and connect it to the second port this would test that theory.

another idea is to attach a powered usb hub into the second port and run it for a few days to see if that fixes it as well. Again that would confirm the issue is too much cable/distance or the cable is split between port 1 and port 2… which would be stupid. But I don’t have a wiring diagram to confirm that either.

·
Registered
2021 4xe Rubicon
18 Posts
Thinking about it even more my theory on the cable length makes even more sense. Likely you have about 5-6 feet of cable to get it to the center console. Then you add a standard apple charging cable to add another 3 feet. This likely is pushing right to the edge for the usb 1 specification.
Has anyone opened everything up and checked the wires? Specifically the length?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thinking about it even more my theory on the cable length makes even more sense. Likely you have about 5-6 feet of cable to get it to the center console. Then you add a standard apple charging cable to add another 3 feet. This likely is pushing right to the edge for the usb 1 specification.
Has anyone opened everything up and checked the wires? Specifically the length?
I did actually try a very short cable and it didn’t seem to make any difference but you may be right about the actual cause.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Dear Jeep Cares - Is there a resolution to this issue? Just purchased my Rubicon 4xe on September 10th and it appears I have the suite of issues including: center console USB cutting out with CarPlay after a few min, Uconnect not showing car information, and backup camera guidelines not always working. Today I am focused on resolving the center console CarPlay issue as I am hoping Uconnect eventually self fixes. Please let me know. Thank you.
This indeed is a thing. I have used my phone connected via official cables after I had tried using an aftermarket wireless device to give me wireless CarPlay (thought the wrangler came with it but apparently wireless CarPlay is only on the grand Cherokee). It is very intermittent, in that I can go a few days and not have the issue, and then some days it’s every 5 minutes. Absolutely odd. But what I noticed because of the wireless adapter I was using is that it gets a delay and it builds up before it just reboots.
Makes me think it’s actually an issue with the usb standard. I believe the distance in cable from the second port is longer than the 1st.
Specifically I believe it is using the usb 1 standard and if it goes beyond 9 feet the connectivity is unreliable. Notice all both USB ports are white and not the 2.0 standard of blue.
Further standard 1.0 is more susceptible to noise and interference, especially if the shielding on the cables aren’t good enough.

if someone with more time was to wire a short lead and set it outside the dash and connect it to the second port this would test that theory.

another idea is to attach a powered usb hub into the second port and run it for a few days to see if that fixes it as well. Again that would confirm the issue is too much cable/distance or the cable is split between port 1 and port 2… which would be stupid. But I don’t have a wiring diagram to confirm that either.
If either of you would like us to look into your vehicles to see if there's any way we can help mitigate your concerns, please send us a private message. If you choose to do this, please also forward us a photo of your system's information so we can start looking into it, right away. If you need help finding your system information:
  • Simultaneously press and hold hard buttons:
    • Driver Up Temp - Driver Down Temp - Front Defrost

• For radios without hard buttons-- On your Uconnect touchscreen, simultaneously press and hold the lower left and lower right icons.

Thanks,

Courtney
Jeep Cares

1 - 20 of 22 Posts