1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day! I'm hoping to document this to help future users. Videos are linked:

Noise:

Leak:

The problem is a noise that sounds like a woodpecker and is only present when coasting above 10mph. When I apply brake or gas the noise goes away. While beginning to apply the brake or gas the noise will progress in volume until I'm 25% into either pedal, then the woodpecker disappears. It sounds as if it's coming from underneath and behind the back seat. The night before I noticed water leaking from underneath the chassis - about where the back of the front passenger seat is. Looked like condensation - but it was 60 degrees out and I didn't use AC. Coolant and all fluid levels appear to be full. All fuses are secured (I have white check marks on the fuse box and other parts so Jeep must have quality controlled this one). The check engine light came on about the same time and I'm going to take it in on Monday morning.

I'll update as we go along and try to get the codes from the dealer.

My best guess at this point is something with electric regeneration, a clutch, and/or a seal.

Cheers!

·
Registered
27 Posts
See “battery cooling and traditional AC” section.

You may have a leak in the glycol loop and the sound you’re hearing might be the high voltage electric compressor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
If the fluid on the ground is slick to the touch it is either glycol coolant or oil. This may sound gross and proceed at your own risk: old trick is to taste the fluid. If sweet it is coolant, no taste to water, oily taste then it is oil (just a tiny little bit on the pinky and spit it out). You can skip all these if your curiosity can wait for the dealer to diagnose.

·
Registered
228 Posts
If the fluid on the ground is slick to the touch it is either glycol coolant or oil. This may sound gross and proceed at your own risk: old trick is to taste the fluid. If sweet it is coolant, no taste to water, oily taste then it is oil (just a tiny little bit on the pinky and spit it out). You can skip all these if your curiosity can wait for the dealer to diagnose.
Do not taste!!!!! lol

It's one of our best senses but health problems is not worth it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CEL went off on the way to dealer. It's there overnight and I may know in the morning. But the noise remains.

·
Registered
52 Posts
CEL went off on the way to dealer. It's there overnight and I may know in the morning. But the noise remains.
Hey, Woodthegreat. Our team would like to discuss any current concerns you're experiencing further. Send us a private message with more details.

Kate
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
It was a piece of metal in the the rear differential! All in all I'm kind of relieved because it's a Jeep/Dana rear differential and nothing to do with the hybrid system. Sure this sucks and I'm expecting a bit of a wait but I'm happy the source was found and is being looked into under warranty. Will update as things go along.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts