Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dealer is telling me that it is not a Jeep problem but a problem with my wall box 3rd party charger which is not supported or it is my house electrical. They also said that the Jeep is designed so that once a fault occurs then it will not charge on any charger. I asked him if I purchased an official Jeep charger and had an authorized Jeep electrician install it would they reimburse me for the purchase if the problem still occurs. He also would not guarantee that they still would not point the finger as a house wiring issue. Come on everything in the house works without issue and it is a nice house. I'm so disgusted!

·
Registered
244 Posts
1. Dealer is full of crap. Unfortunately, a lot of them are pulling “explanations” like this because they don’t have the talent to diagnose issues.
2. As @Getlm00 mentioned, clear the fault codes and try charging first at a public charging station. If it charges there, you know it’s likely not the Jeep. Try again at home.
3. Is your charger a Wall Box brand or another 3rd party brand? Wouldn’t hurt to have an electrician verify it’s installed correctly.

·
Registered
509 Posts
The dealer is telling me that it is not a Jeep problem but a problem with my wall box 3rd party charger which is not supported or it is my house electrical. They also said that the Jeep is designed so that once a fault occurs then it will not charge on any charger. I asked him if I purchased an official Jeep charger and had an authorized Jeep electrician install it would they reimburse me for the purchase if the problem still occurs. He also would not guarantee that they still would not point the finger as a house wiring issue. Come on everything in the house works without issue and it is a nice house. I'm so disgusted!
edit: didn’t realize you were talking about 220v

Our 4xe’s come with 110v chargers, that is the only “jeep” charger.

Just test your outlet

this is all you need to test your outlet, you can pick them up at most hardware stores.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
What he is saying isn't necessarily incorrect. A lot of the service charging issues are due to supply voltages that are out of specifications. Having an approved evse doesn't matter if you're getting over voltage or under voltage from the utility company.

·
Registered
509 Posts
What he is saying isn't necessarily incorrect. A lot of the service charging issues are due to supply voltages that are out of specifications. Having an approved evse doesn't matter if you're getting over voltage or under voltage from the utility company.
It’s probably is correct
What’s they said that’s incorrect is that once there’s a fault it won’t charge on any charger

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
It’s probably is correct
What’s they said that’s incorrect is that once there’s a fault it won’t charge on any charger
No, that definitely happens in many situations. That's why you see so many people that get a service charging error that is cleared by just resetting the system.

That's not saying that all faults won't let it charge on any charger, but there are definitely some that result in charging being locked out until it's reset.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is a Wallbox Pulsar Plus L2 charger both the charger and outlet were installed by a electrician that works for a reputable firm. The 40 amp L2 charger is on a 50 amp circuit and is the only device on the circuit. I do not have any electrical issues in the house which was built around 2002. The charger itself never produces any error codes. I was charging at home without any issues until I let the battery level drop below 1%. That is when I received my first fault which I took the dealer and they reset the code. It then worked for 3 charges and errored out on the 4th charge.

I was told by the dealer that they only support Jeep' brand chargers. I called the customer care number and was also told that they could not help me since it was not a Jeep charger. What OBD reader are people recommending for the Jeep 4xe? I would like to get a bluetooth enabled one that I could leave plugged in all the time. Also, will this at all void the Jeep warrantee? I guess if this does not work then I will look into purchasing an official Jeep charger and have it installed by a Jeep recommended electrician. Hopefully, then they will not have any excuses if the problem still occurs. If it fixes the problem then I will owe them and apology.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
It is a Wallbox Pulsar Plus L2 charger both the charger and outlet were installed by a electrician that works for a reputable firm. The 40 amp L2 charger is on a 50 amp circuit and is the only device on the circuit. I do not have any electrical issues in the house which was built around 2002. The charger itself never produces any error codes
None of these preclude you from having a voltage supply issues. Sometimes utilities have transformer issues, sometimes the voltage is intermittently out of spec, etc. The 4xe definitely seems more sensitive to out of spec issues than other equipment, but that doesn't mean that isn't the issue.

It certainly could be something else going on, just saying, nothing you have said thus far is sufficient to rule out out a voltage issue.

As for them only covering issues with the jeep brand evse, I'd challenge them to produce any documentation provided that suggests you must use the factory branded evse. The owner's manual specifically provides instructions for how to use public chargers, which certainly are not the jeep branded home units.

What the documentation does say is a requirement to use something to j1772 specifications. Some evses, like the mustart units, don't actually meet that, and would be a legitimate claim to not support a warranty repair.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
None of these preclude you from having a voltage supply issues. Sometimes utilities have transformer issues, sometimes the voltage is intermittently out of spec, etc. The 4xe definitely seems more sensitive to out of spec issues than other equipment, but that doesn't mean that isn't the issue.

It certainly could be something else going on, just saying, nothing you have said thus far is sufficient to rule out out a voltage issue.

As for them only covering issues with the jeep brand evse, I'd challenge them to produce any documentation provided that suggests you must use the factory branded evse. The owner's manual specifically provides instructions for how to use public chargers, which certainly are not the jeep branded home units.

What the documentation does say is a requirement to use something to j1772 specifications. Some evses, like the mustart units, don't actually meet that, and would be a legitimate claim to not support a warranty repair.
So what do I do? It sounds like you are saying that Jeep has a legitimate right to blame any evse and any electrical system for my Jeep having charging issues. It sounds like I do not have a prayer for my issue to be fixed. If I take it to a public charger and the fault comes up then they can just turn around and blame that evse. If I get an official JEEP evse installed by a JEEP authorized installer then they can still blame my issue on intermediate electrical issues. It looks like I paid a bunch of money just for some extra weight.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
If you're having issues charging at home, then a good place to start would be verifying the voltage you're actually getting. In these intermittent cases, what I have seen happen is someone is getting supply voltage from the utility company that hovers right on the threshold of acceptable. On occasions, it'll dip just out of range, and that's when an error is thrown. The solution is usually to identify an issue (see what voltage you're actually getting) and then contact your utility company to fix. If it's out of spec they want to know and will address it.

As for a public charger... yah, if the charger is giving garbage input, it'll throw an error. The system is protecting itself as it should and will need to be inspected and reset. Some obd2 readers will reset the error so you don't have to take it back to the dealer, although I personally haven't tried that.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I was told by the dealer that they only support Jeep' brand chargers.
The issue with a statement like this from a dealer is that Jeep / Mopar do not even make their own EVSE. The original one they “branded” as Jeep/Mopar was a Clipper Creek with a Jeep sticker on it. The current one is an Enel X JuiceBox with a Jeep sticker on it. Jeep/Mopar do not actually manufacture one.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It might have been installed correctly, but is your fuse box able to handle the additional load, what is being supplied to the home. It sound like you might be getting random voltage spikes or drops. being you experienced it when at 1% means to me that it's happened on longer charges. I would check with the utility company, and confirm your fuse box it's overloaded and sized correctly etc. Do you have any other high draw system running, like AC.

·
Registered
2021 4xe Rubicon
2 Posts
The onboard charger of the 4xe is 32amp. Looking up briefly your charger's specs, it looks like a 40amp. Charging consistently at above 32 is likely to cause issues as it pushes to much power to the onboard adapter. In the same manner we're not able to use the Tesla supercharger with adapter.

Not sure if the output of your Pulsar can be lowered to 32. May be worth looking into.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
Looking up briefly your charger's specs, it looks like a 40amp. Charging consistently at above 32 is likely to cause issues as it pushes to much power to the onboard adapter. In the same manner we're not able to use the Tesla supercharger with adapter
The onboard charger will limit the draw to 32 amp. Plugging in to a 40 amo evse will not charge at 40 amp.

Some people have had success limiting the peak amp limit with errors, but that's likely more to a signal issue, etc.

Superchargers can't be used because they're DC power supplies, not AC. It's a totally different power supply methodology.

·
Registered
2021 4xe Rubicon
2 Posts
The onboard charger will limit the draw to 32 amp. Plugging in to a 40 amo evse will not charge at 40 amp.

Some people have had success limiting the peak amp limit with errors, but that's likely more to a signal issue, etc.

Superchargers can't be used because they're DC power supplies, not AC. It's a totally different power supply methodology.
Thank you for clarifying.

Didn't know the Superchargers were DC.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have my Jeep back and the dealer states tha tte jeep sets a code POD27-00 Battery charger 1 input voltage too low. Once they clear the code the Jeep charges on a L2 charger as normal. They gave me a publication that they referenced.

The STAR Online Publication states that,
Customer Complaint: Owner complains when using the level 2 battery charger at home, HV battery will not fully charge. Technician may observe the the vehicle is setting any of these associated DTC's in the Integrated Dual Charger Module (ICDM) Internal performance Circuit Voltage B22A9-16, B22A9-17, and B22A9-19, Below, Above or Overcurrent.

Discussion:
"Home electrical systems in some cases may create added circuit harmonics that my inhibit the vehicle from completing a charge with a 32-amp level 2 charger. In these cases use of a level one charger is suggested. Engineering is investigating a vehicle update to improve this condition allowing the level 2 chargers to complete the full HV battery charge. The field will be notified when available, the estimated timing for a service release is by the 3rd quarter 2022."

NOTE: I am getting a different code and my charger errors when I first plug it in and will not charge on my home L2, the Jeep supplied L1 or a public L2 charger. I am getting about 3 good charges to 100% and then about the fourth charge It errors out and will not charge anywhere untill the dealer clears the code.
What is a good bluetooth reader for Jeeps that I can purchase to clear the code myself?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Also, in the Jeep 2022 Wrangler 4xe Hybrid Supplement manual on page 21 states. " AC Level 2 (240 Volt) charging requires a 240 Volt, Level 2 EVSE (Charging station). A 40 Amp Level 2 EVSE for home installation is recommended." It never states the you must use a Jeep L2 EVSE.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you're having issues charging at home, then a good place to start would be verifying the voltage you're actually getting. In these intermittent cases, what I have seen happen is someone is getting supply voltage from the utility company that hovers right on the threshold of acceptable. On occasions, it'll dip just out of range, and that's when an error is thrown. The solution is usually to identify an issue (see what voltage you're actually getting) and then contact your utility company to fix. If it's out of spec they want to know and will address it.

As for a public charger... yah, if the charger is giving garbage input, it'll throw an error. The system is protecting itself as it should and will need to be inspected and reset. Some obd2 readers will reset the error so you don't have to take it back to the dealer, although I personally haven't tried that.
How do I verify the voltage that I am getting? Is there a device I can purchase and plug into the Wallbox outlet to monitor and record voltage readings over a 24 hour period? This is all new to me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts