Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner

2023 Wrangler Rubicon 4XE check engine light 1500 miles

6K views 31 replies 8 participants last post by  Sarge4xe 
Just go to your dealer and have them scan it real quick. They'll be able to tell you if it's something that can wait or not. I've never been turned away just showing up like that. Only takes a tech a minute to hook up and read the code.
Or Advanced Auto or similar place will scan it for free. Probably even faster than the dealer. Was on a road trip to go wheeling at Peters Mill Run recently when my CEL came on. Stopped at Advanced Auto to scan the code and it was just the gas cap not on all the way

Generally I'd recommend that also, but there are several common issues that will throw a code a generic code reader won't pick up. If it's a gas cap sort of thing, that would be readable at a store. If it's a failed coolant heater, you'd need a more advanced reader than stores generally have. Doesn't hurt to try first though.
That's good to know about the capability of the reader, I just assumed they were all the same and read you all the codes. Either way, couldn't hurt if a store is nearby. I think too many people freak out about CEL, including myself, especially with a new vehicle. I still can't believe it was myself that didn't tighten my gas cap all the way...

Give it time, you'll enter FORM one day :p
Haha, I'm now in FORM! But it seems to be operating differently after the update. I can remain in all electric until it runs out, then once the ICE kicks in it tells me its oil refresh mode and won't let me go back to all electric. Also won't shut off the engine at stops. This wouldn't be an issue if the mountains had snow up in NH and I was making trips to go snowboard... then I'd easily burn off that gas and exit FORM

Thank you! I’ll try this for sure, hopefully it resets & clears
My CEL came on when we were down in DC for Thanksgiving traveling to Peters Mill Run to grab a Badge of Honor on that trail. I checked the gas cap and sure enough it was loose... I didn't think I could have possibly done that myself. But obviously I wanted to know what the CEL was all about before off-roading that morning. You went to a fancy auto store with a printout, the place I went (I forget which chain store it was) the guy just had me take a picture of the code reader with my phone to record the codes. A quick Google of the codes pointed towards the gas cap, and it had been loose so it all made sense. We made it through the trail and eventually back to Boston a few days later, expecting the CEL to fix itself. It didn't, but disconnecting the battery did the trick once we got home. Definitely not a 5 day stay at the dealer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.