Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts
Thank you! I’ll try this for sure, hopefully it resets & clears
My CEL came on when we were down in DC for Thanksgiving traveling to Peters Mill Run to grab a Badge of Honor on that trail. I checked the gas cap and sure enough it was loose... I didn't think I could have possibly done that myself. But obviously I wanted to know what the CEL was all about before off-roading that morning. You went to a fancy auto store with a printout, the place I went (I forget which chain store it was) the guy just had me take a picture of the code reader with my phone to record the codes. A quick Google of the codes pointed towards the gas cap, and it had been loose so it all made sense. We made it through the trail and eventually back to Boston a few days later, expecting the CEL to fix itself. It didn't, but disconnecting the battery did the trick once we got home. Definitely not a 5 day stay at the dealer

Hi! Thanks y’all. It finally turned off on its own. After a few days. I suspected it may have also been the gas quality. I was using Costco 😅, and used a fuel cleaner around the same time it turned on. Can anyone recommend what gas they use. Online it says recommend premium and the manual says 87.

Hi! Thanks y’all. It finally turned off on its own. After a few days. I suspected it may have also been the gas quality. I was using Costco 😅, and used a fuel cleaner around the same time it turned on. Can anyone recommend what gas they use. Online it says recommend premium and the manual says 87.
Your gas cap was loose. The loose gas cap causes an evap leak. You got a check engine code for an evap leak.

After fixing the evap leak, the jeep has to go through a specific set of driving test scenarios before it will clear. It can take several days of driving for that to happen.

I use almost exclusively costco 87 grade.

Got the same exact problem right around 1400 miles and - coincidently -after getting gas at Costco. Reseated the cap but a week later the light it still on. Since NJ thinks I’m not responsible enough to pump my own, I’ll have to make sure attendants get the cap on nice and tight.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.