Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
21 - 40 of 78 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
What is it you think Jeep is doing wrong with their handling of this issue? What are you aware of that they're doing?
Unable to schedule appointments to even look at it before March 29, the service manager saying "oh yeah, that's happening a lot, not sure what to do about it," and basing this on internet search for same yielding pages upon pages of people having the same problem on a vehicle with under a thousand miles on it. Really the last bit is the part that gets me, particularly at the premium being charged for ownership. Cars shouldn't fail with three digit odometer readings, not at the rate Jeeps seem to be failing.

· Registered
3,742 Posts
Cars shouldn't fail with three digit odometer readings, not at the rate Jeeps seem to be failing
As cars get more and more electronics embedded in them, we'll end up seeing more and more failures early on like this. Electronic failures tend to follow a bathtub model... lots of failures initially, hardly any for a long period of time, and then a lot of failures at the end of life.

Mechanical failures tend to ramp up more. You get some infant mortality, but then as things wear, you see failures increase.

· Registered
4 Posts
As cars get more and more electronics embedded in them, we'll end up seeing more and more failures early on like this. Electronic failures tend to follow a bathtub model... lots of failures initially, hardly any for a long period of time, and then a lot of failures at the end of life.

Mechanical failures tend to ramp up more. You get some infant mortality, but then as things wear, you see failures increase.
What you say is true. And I'm mostly just venting because my Jeep doesn't work and that's a bummer. Meantime, I can benefit from the experiences of those who've gone through it here, so... thanks!

· Registered
2022 Rubicon 4xe
1,224 Posts
You do realize the dealerships aren't Jeep. And the lack of skilled labor isn't the dealerships fault. Not defending Jeep but it's a problem affecting many, many other industries right now. I understand your frustration but I'm not sure if any manufacturer that makes a perfect product. Look at the premium people pay for Range Rover... And they're no longer dead last in quality only because Tesla beat them. And you have no idea what rate jeeps are failing because your reading only the negative posts, right (because people tend not to create an account to vent their positive experiences...)? But i agree Jeep should figure out a fuse board that doesn't loosen fuses itself.

Unable to schedule appointments to even look at it before March 29, the service manager saying "oh yeah, that's happening a lot, not sure what to do about it," and basing this on internet search for same yielding pages upon pages of people having the same problem on a vehicle with under a thousand miles on it. Really the last bit is the part that gets me, particularly at the premium being charged for ownership. Cars shouldn't fail with three digit odometer readings, not at the rate Jeeps seem to be failing.

· Registered
41 Posts
BTW this is the printout the dealership gave me when they reproduced the error. DCM error B22A9-64 ECU performance signal plausibility failure. Also note that in my case, whenever I turn on the car and the engine starts, within a few seconds there is a small of burning coolant. My daughter describes it as the smell of burning brown sugar (but to me it's coolant). They checked for leaks and didn't find anything. Nothing's pooling under the vehicle while parked. Not sure if it's related to the dead IDCM but the problems appeared at the same time.
Font Material property Screenshot Parallel Number

· Registered
7 Posts
Hello, first time posting. I wanted to contribute more information. I too have the fault charge error. It faults with both level 1 and level 2. I am able to drive using gas and hybrid mode. It works as it should with small stop and go intervals. As suggested, checked all fuses, everything is in order. I dropped off my 4xe at the dealership this morning. My CSR showed me that there are 7 updates that need to happen and believes that after the flash and update it will take care of the charging problem. See attached photo for references. I am expected to get my vehicle back tomorrow. I will report back with updates.

Attachments

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
So after going two months without hearing any updates from the dealer, I went to Jeep customer service directly, through a contact us link where I put information of my situation. A rep called me within two days, let me know her name (Lika) and listened to my explanation of the situation (charge fault, service charging system, dealer service said Charging Port part is on national backorder with no ETA). I let her know I had followed up with the service center once a month, so twice. Each time got the same response, no eta on the part, its on massive backorder, etc.

She let me know she would summarize our call via email (which I initially rolled my eyes at thinking false promises) and she would call the dealer directly. She was extremely nice so I thanked her for her time and hung up, not really thinking anything would be done.

Well go figure, she got it all taken care of. She called me back about 3 days later. Supposedly, dealer had not even ordered the part. It was ordered, and it arrived within two freaking days. I went out of town so had to wait almost a week to take it in. Just got the car back today, and it is CHARGING!

Lika is going to call me sometime tomorrow according to her promised follow up. She was amazing.

Long story short, definitely leverage the contact us link, below is the exact page I used. Do NOT wait on the dealer to own this for you, the Jeep reps will hold the dealer accountable and get it done. I initially gave the dealer the benefit of the doubt, not wanting to cause them any trouble (I work in the tech industry where supply chain has killed us as well).

· Registered
41 Posts
I'm envious of the customer service you're getting.

• Jeep shorted/CEL/Service Charging System. Took two weeks to get availability at the dealer. Then ordered an IDCM for delivery in 2 weeks. Now IDCM not available for another 4 weeks (and I have no reason to believe they'll get the part then)
  • @JeepCares on this forum created a case number and told me to expect to be contacted by a Stellantus agent within 24-48 hours. That was 12 days ago. No one reached out
  • created a new case number by contacting Jeep customer service directly per your instructions. Was told to expect someone to reach out in 24-48 hours and it's been 4 days. No one reached out

So I'm left to stare at the $60K lemon sitting in my driveway with (so far) no help from the dealer or Jeep. Dealer assures me the car is safe to drive in gasoline mode, but I've chosen not to do that because other owners with IDCM problems have had their Jeeps lose all power while being operated. Not safe!

· Registered
4 Posts
Our 4xe quit charging a couple weeks ago. Was level 2 charging at work. Now level 1 at home nor level 2 at work will charge it. Been driving it until dropping off at dealer tonight. Ours does NOT have a check engine light on. Outer blue lights blink and service charging system error appears on dash. Will keep updating here as dealer updates happen.

· Registered
41 Posts
Suggest you have a look at other threads on this forum. I've chosen to leave my Jeep parked (even though it works in hybrid mode) because IDCM failures have been the root cause of some people losing all power while driving. I don't want to take that risk, even though it's not necessarily certain that the Jeep suffers a failure at high speed. Just not comfortable with the risk.

· Registered
3,742 Posts
Just checked the three reservoirs. The front-left-most (not sure what that coolant's specific purpose is) is running at the Min level. It looks like there is a leak on the outside of the reservoir, too, where the dirt has collected. Thoughts?
View attachment 4521
If you're leaking coolant, it could be why you're smelling coolant as it drips on hot stuff. The front left is the reservoir for the engine coolant. The two on the right are for the battery/electrical systems, so I doubt it is related to any charging issues.

· Registered
41 Posts
Thanks for your help with this. I'll keep watching the engine coolant level (and engine temperatures while driving), and will have them top it up whenever it's next in the shop. In the meantime, it's mostly parked, waiting for parts.

· Registered
7 Posts
Hello, first time posting. I wanted to contribute more information. I too have the fault charge error. It faults with both level 1 and level 2. I am able to drive using gas and hybrid mode. It works as it should with small stop and go intervals. As suggested, checked all fuses, everything is in order. I dropped off my 4xe at the dealership this morning. My CSR showed me that there are 7 updates that need to happen and believes that after the flash and update it will take care of the charging problem. See attached photo for references. I am expected to get my vehicle back tomorrow. I will report back with updates.

Update 03.16. Dealership has had my 4xe for six days now. Periodically I see an attempt for charging from the uconnect app. Still showing fault. I'm going to call the dealership tomorrow and find out in more details of what has been accomplished.

21 - 40 of 78 Posts