Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
61 - 78 of 78 Posts

· Registered
41 Posts
4xe went into the shop yesterday to have the IDCM replaced. At the end of the day my smart phone started lighting up with Uconnect notifications, toggling between "Charge started" and "Charge fault". This went on for an hour until I'm guessing the guys went home for the day. They left it unplugged all night, we'll see what happens today.

Meanwhile Jeep executive customer service has said that they will not buy back the vehicle, presumably because it is "fixed". We'll see what today brings. I don't want to own this vehicle any longer because I'm afraid the battery pack is damaged from not being cooled properly, and from the IDCM shorting out.

I haven't even asked for a rental for three months, and they're giving me the Heisman...geez.
At long last our 4Xe is fixed 2021 4Xe Service Charging System Error/Charging Fault

· Registered
3 Posts
We've had the same issue - 4Xe wouldn't charge, CEL on. Some lessons we learned:
  • GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING. Jeep dealers and Jeep corporate have flat-out refused to provide anything paper.
  • Make sure you get in writing that your car is safe to drive (we were told ours was, but when we insisted in having it in writing after waiting 2 weeks for an appointment, all of the sudden Jeep said in fact, no, it is not safe to drive, and could leave us stranded. Ours has now been in the shop since May 19 - it's July 7 today...)
  • Escalate to the Chrysler Customer Service people immediately, and watch the clock on lemon law. Once it runs out, call them nonstop. Enlist a lawyer.
  • Be prepared to be jerked around, delayed, ignored, and generally treated like a number for weeks while they try to delay.
  • Continually and repeatedly escalate and mention lemon law every time you do.
We have been told, as delay tactics:
  • Our case was filed (it wasn't)
  • Days later: Our case was filed (it wasn't)
  • Days later: It had been escalated (it hadn't and our case was still not filed)
  • Days later: There was an IT issue that prevented them from being able to message us, and our person had been out for 10 days
  • Days later: Our case was finally filed, and sent to people whose sole job it is to keep us from doing a buyback
  • We were threatened today with fees if we move forward with a buyback (in violation of lemon laws in Alabama - law is full refund, including taxes and fees paid)
  • They all of the sudden magically have the part and the repair will be done Monday.
We've lost all faith in Chrysler/Jeep being able to support or service these vehicles. This is my 6th new car (and I paid 2x more than the most expensive car I had ever bought prior), and I have NEVER experienced such horrible service or had so many issues - within a year of buying the darn thing. We're either getting a refund, or trading this thing in and running from Jeep as fast as we can.
NEVER AGAIN.

· Registered
2022 Rubicon 4xe
1,224 Posts
If your dealer doesn't give you everything in writing after asking one time, find a better dealer! I've never had to ask for a print out, I'm handed one after every service, automagically...

We've had the same issue - 4Xe wouldn't charge, CEL on. Some lessons we learned:
  • GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING. Jeep dealers and Jeep corporate have flat-out refused to provide anything paper.
  • Make sure you get in writing that your car is safe to drive (we were told ours was, but when we insisted in having it in writing after waiting 2 weeks for an appointment, all of the sudden Jeep said in fact, no, it is not safe to drive, and could leave us stranded. Ours has now been in the shop since May 19 - it's July 7 today...)
  • Escalate to the Chrysler Customer Service people immediately, and watch the clock on lemon law. Once it runs out, call them nonstop. Enlist a lawyer.
  • Be prepared to be jerked around, delayed, ignored, and generally treated like a number for weeks while they try to delay.
  • Days later: It had been escalated (it hadn't and our case was still not filed)
  • Days later: There was an IT issue that prevented them from being able to message us, and our person had been out for 10 days
  • Days later: Our case was finally filed, and sent to people whose sole job it is to keep us from doing a buyback
  • We were threatened today with fees if we move forward with a buyback (in violation of lemon laws in Alabama - law is full refund, including taxes and fees paid)
  • They all of the sudden magically have the part and the repair will be done Monday.
We've lost all faith in Chrysler/Jeep being able to support or service these vehicles. This is my 6th new car (and I paid 2x more than the most expensive car I had ever bought prior), and I have NEVER experienced such horrible service or had so many issues - within a year of buying the darn thing. We're either getting a refund, or trading this thing in and running from Jeep as fast as we can.
NEVER AGAIN.

· Registered
1 Posts
Jeep just came out with a software update on June 27, 2022 that attempts to fix the charging problem with the 4xe. The notes on the software update instruct the jeep dealer to first flash the software update. If the charging problem persists they are instructed to replace one of the charge modules. Take your jeep to the dealer and tell them this. My jeep service department has been great and I've been working with them for some time to fix it. My Jeep Wrangler 4xe has had charging problems for a few months. I've gone through 2 software updates, got my home charger repaired, fixed my GFCI circuits in the garage. And yet the problem persisted. They just flashed the update on 7/8/22. So far, so good.

· Registered
2022 Rubicon 4xe
1,224 Posts
Do you have the update number?

Jeep just came out with a software update on June 27, 2022 that attempts to fix the charging problem with the 4xe. The notes on the software update instruct the jeep dealer to first flash the software update. If the charging problem persists they are instructed to replace one of the charge modules. Take your jeep to the dealer and tell them this. My jeep service department has been great and I've been working with them for some time to fix it. My Jeep Wrangler 4xe has had charging problems for a few months. I've gone through 2 software updates, got my home charger repaired, fixed my GFCI circuits in the garage. And yet the problem persisted. They just flashed the update on 7/8/22. So far, so good.

· Registered
1 Posts
I have been Googling and scouring for any kind of answer to my problem for the past two days, and have found some trouble shooting tips here and there, but the end result is the same: 4xe will not charge via the included Level 1 charger nor a Level 2. I have tried two different Charge Point L2 Chargers (outputting 16a and 30a) 5 different outlets at the in laws house (the Level 1 charger displays a solid Green light after blinking a couple times) a random dealership L2 station (it was branded GE) and a Mall Parking Garage L2 Charger (Just said EV on the thing)

I have checked the fuses, pushed them all down (some loose) and from a forum post here someone recommended checking the F09 fuse, I swapped it with a spare, no luck. Same thing, I plug in the charger, I hear some clicking noises inside the hood, and the lights go from blue to green to red, and stays red, app notifies me of a Charge Fault and the cluster inside displays Service Charging System. No CEL or anything. Driving is not impacted at all, battery kicks in no problem when I need the torque. I completed a 500 mile round trip just now with no issues at all.

I am hoping to figure out some more trouble shooting steps I could take, I want to take it to the dealer on Monday when the service center is open, but hoping maybe there is something else I could try on my own that I did not catch while Googling.
I had the same issue multiple times with different stations. I have since learned the Jeep requires the plug to “clip” into vehicle, so if the 1772 plug handle has ha broken clip bar the Jeep will not respond

went through 9 broke a ones to find one that was intact to prove my theory.

all works now

· Registered
62 Posts
NEVER AGAIN.
I have a 2022 Wrangler 4xe with intermediate charging problems. I can get 3 or 4 good charges an then it will error out and not charge anywhere from that point forward. Of course the Jeep dealer is blaming my charger or my house electrical system for the problem and NOT the Jeep. I'm not sure what to do with a Jeep that has about 500 miles and just purchased a couple of months ago. Jeep is also saying that they only support JEEP brand (evse) chargers. What is my recourse if Jeep refuses to back it's product? It feels like the worst decision I ever made was purchasing a Jeep.

· Registered
2 Posts
This is seems to be a real shit show with the charging being disabled. The big problem is nobody knows what's going on nor do they wanna fix it. The funny thing is normally when the error codes are cleared it will just start charging again but who wants to make an appointment with a dealer and waste a half day of their life just to get error codes cleared so they can charge their vehicle as it was intended to be. Anyway I've had a hard enough time just to schedule an appointment and when you get to the dealer they either wanna keep your car for a week stating that's what's Stellantis is telling them or they don't want to touch it. So whos ready to gear up for a class action suit on the lack of functionality of their 4xe. I'm willing to do a lot of the leg work just need a couple of plaintiffs willing to join in.

· Registered
3,742 Posts
The funny thing is normally when the error codes are cleared it will just start charging again but who wants to make an appointment with a dealer and waste a half day of their life just to get error codes cleared so they can charge their vehicle as it was intended to be
This one doesn't really surprise me nor is it necessarily a bad approach. You have a charging fault detected based on the idcm receiving an improper signal from the evse. It shuts down charging until the system is inspected and reset to insure the problem wasn't in the vehicle side of things. It's a conservative approach to risk management, but I can see why one would go that route.

The bigger issue there is the lack of dealer support for some in getting it inspected.

· Registered
2 Posts
This one doesn't really surprise me nor is it necessarily a bad approach. You have a charging fault detected based on the idcm receiving an improper signal from the evse. It shuts down charging until the system is inspected and reset to insure the problem wasn't in the vehicle side of things. It's a conservative approach to risk management, but I can see why one would go that route.

The bigger issue there is the lack of dealer support for some in getting it inspected.
That's my whole issue waiting six weeks for an appointment to reset error codes for 5 minutes but dealer did not initially want to touch it without leaving the vehicle for observation. So know you not only render the electric part of the vehicle useless for 6 weeks while waiting you want to keep the car for a week to observe. Wasn't that supposed to be figured out in the R&D phase of the 4xe. Im not sure about most but when you list a Jeep at almost 70k I'd expect it to work minus a few hiccups.

· Registered
3,742 Posts
Wasn't that supposed to be figured out in the R&D phase of the 4xe.
No. If an external charging station malfunctions and damages the charging system, there's not really a way to r&d out of that.

For example, people keep using Mustart evses that are missing the requires ground fault circuitry and melt the charging ports. When this happens, there's a charging system error accompanied by physical damage. If one missed the physical damage, it would be caught when you took the vehicle in for inspection/reset. Similarly, many of the charging errors seem to be due to the proximity pin not properly engaging, which can happen as a result of a bent pin the charging port.

· Registered
2 Posts
I bought my jeep about two weeks ago, drove it for a couple days and it charged fine but when I went to disconnect the charger I noticed a red light on the car. Drove it all day and when I got home to charge it again it blinked red blue green and then just red and wasn’t charging at all. I notified the dealership and they told me to bring it in and it’d be fixed on Friday. They kept the car over the weekend and I’ve been trying to get updates and they just tell me they’ll let me know what’s going on as they figure it out. It’s been 5 days and I was just told they’re just now having a tech look at. Not even a month of ownership and already issues. Didn’t want to regret making this purchase. Considering asking for a refund. I’ve never been an ev/electric hybrid guy and tbh without the better fuel economy I would’ve rather bought something else.

· Registered
2 Posts
Did you take notice of what the lights om the factory evse were doing? They can give a good indicator of what the problem may be.
The cable has a green light. From what I understand it’s the charging module in the car that might’ve switched off for safety reasons. Waiting on the dealership to let me know, they made it seem like all it needed was a reset and software update. That’s what the salesman told me but the service department has yet to identify the issue after me contacting them for the past couple days. Nothing shows up on the app so im just going to assume they haven’t even touched the vehicle.

· Registered
2 Posts
We had our 2022 GC for 3 weeks. CEL came on and the jeep won’t charge. Bring it to the dealer and they find the PCM is bad. It’s on back order. They also said that jeep is aware that the level 2 chargers don’t always work. They are working on a software update. They suggest using the level 1 charger. We had issues with the level 1 burning out the outlet. House is only 7 years old so when they told me it’s because I had old wiring I laughed at them. We won’t use the level 1. We paid to have a level 2 installed and should be able to use it. Not sure if anyone else has been told this BS or not.

· Registered
3,742 Posts
House is only 7 years old so when they told me it’s because I had old wiring I laughed at them
Probably not old wiring, but rather loose wiring. If the connector at the outlet wasnt properly torqued (have you ever seen an electrician actually use a torque driver?), the thermal cycling from charging can work things loose. Most ev charging fires are due to low quality outlets and/or loose wiring connections.

61 - 78 of 78 Posts