Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Rubicon 4xe 2016 BMW M6 GC
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thought about documenting this for awhile now and just never had the time to catalog everything into a post -

Ordered and picked up my '22 Sting Grey Rubicon 4xe in early July:

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle

Early on, I knocked out some small things to clean up the overall appearance of the vehicle:
  • Diode Dynamics clear corners on the front
  • Removing and painting the grille inserts to match up with the hood decals
  • Removing gray-insert Jeep fender badges, Trail Rated badge, and rear 4xe badge and replacing with the black-insert versions from the High Altitude
  • Adding some black caps for the front door lock cylinders
  • Black out rear bumper reflectors
  • Delete the front plate and get a new mounting cover with no holes in it
  • 20% Tint on the front doors to match the rear
Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle

Automotive parking light Grille Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

Eventually I really grew to like the look of the OEM Xtreme Recon package seen on other Rubi's and High Tides, and to my knowledge this was not a package you could order for the 4xe and liked the idea of having a factory package that nobody else would have - so I started piecing it together.

In order to accommodate the oversize spare, I sourced the OEM Mopar Hinge Gate Reinforcement, Spare Relocation Kit, and CHMSL Relocation Kit and had them installed so I would be ready to go to the Xtreme Recon wheels once they became available. I also installed the OEM XR fender flare extensions and a set of 1.75" spacers all around

Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

Shortly thereafter, I found a local seller who was going to 37's, and so I was able to line up a local buyer for my OEM 4xe Rubi wheels + tires pick up a mint set of the XR wheel and tires for a great deal. Easily the biggest difference maker (no surprise) on the appearance of the Jeep and I love the look. I was wondering if I would have to lift it or level it after going to the bigger wheels and tires, since I know the XR package does provide additional height over the factory Rubi lift, but I think I am going to leave it as is given that I still think it looks great as is.

Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle

And here are a few shots of the freshly cleaned up rig as it sits today:

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Plant Car

Plans going forward:

I would like to install a set of the amber pre-runner style lights in the top of the grille, however based on my research it looks like the Trail Camera throws a wrench into the fitment for the middle light. It looks like there is a hole above the camera that is large enough to thread the light through, however I think the issue becomes mounting it securely. I wonder if anyone here may have the means to 3D print a custom mount for the Trail Cam? Something I would definitely be willing to pay for in order to get the look I'm after. EDIT: I found the updated design Oracle Prerunner LED's and ordered a set as they look like they accommodate the Trail Cam, will post pics after install

Thinking I would also want to add the OEM Grille Guard to the steel front bumper along with the 7" Mopar OEM Auxiliary lights -- in the spirit of keeping the OEM+ look I wouldn't go aftermarket, but am open to input on whether or not I should add these. They would receive functional use in northern Minnesota when visiting my parents, as their place is at the end of a series of rural roads usually well-populated with deer at night.

And lastly, I think the only piece of the XR package I am missing is a taillight bezel that goes around the taillight where it meets the body of the Jeep - however I can't seem to find the part number anywhere for it. Minor detail for sure, but would be cool to have all the XR details if I've already come this far. If anyone know's how I could find this piece, let me know.

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
1 Posts
That's a sharp looking getup. The 392 wheels also look close to that. I picked up some take-offs (with NEW 33" tires) for < $1,500 on Facebook... may save some $ for others watching this thread. But that bad boy looks terrific.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the post, I’ve been thinking about getting the XR wheels/tires too. How much do you think I should expect to spend? I’m seeing 4500-5000 on eBay which seems excessive.
If you have the means I highly recommend going for it -- I scouted the JL Wrangler forums for awhile in search of them and I would occasionally see sets pop up for cheap, but it's luck of the draw mostly as people (understandably) only offer local pickup to avoid the hassle of shipping them. I was fortunate to line up a local seller through a friend of a friend who sold me theirs for $3k without TPMS and found a buyer for my OEM 4xe Wheels and Tires for $1600. I was thrilled with $1400 out of pocket to get into the XR wheels, I don't think I could have done any better than that

That's a sharp looking getup. The 392 wheels also look close to that. I picked up some take-offs (with NEW 33" tires) for < $1,500 on Facebook... may save some $ for others watching this thread. But that bad boy looks terrific.
Thank you very much I appreciate that -- I knew I wanted to go for the XR's considering the 392 takeoff set would have been the same size as the Rubicon 4xe wheels and tires I already had on - but for a non-Rubicon 4xe I can imagine that even the standard 392 wheels would add a nice touch, or even if it is a Rubicon just switching up the wheel style. I had a few leads come around on the 392 XR wheels but even though the finish is only slightly bronze compared to the set I have, I knew I had a preference for the neutral color of the gunmetal grey and I'm happy I waited

The standard 392 wheels are a 7.5" width opposed to the 8" XRs, IIRC.
Correct, the added width of the XR wheels was another selling point for me, the standard Rubicon wheels and tires were slightly too narrow for my liking. The XR setup has the perfect proportions for what I was looking for

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was thinking about adding spacers and the XR fender flares to my rubi. How did that look with just those 2?

i go doors off a lot, and didn’t want to do just the spacers and then get water/dirt in the cabin
Here is the only photo I have of the XR flares + the 1.75" wheel spacers, unfortunately I don't have a straight on front view picture but hopefully this helps. It was only about a week between installing the fender flares & spacers to when I got the XR wheels on so this setup didn't really last long enough for me to get many photos

Automotive parking light Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update, Oracle LED Prerunner lights arrived in their updated design that accomodates the factory Trail Cam. Not only do I like the look that these provide but being that the spacers and XR wheels put the Jeep beyond 80" wide, it's actually a DOT regulation to have these 'clearance lights' a la the TRX and new Raptor

I went for the tinted lenses for a stealthier appearance when parked. I also opted to tap into the factory Auxiliary Switch Bank wire loom in order to have more control over the behavior of the lights. This allowed me to sync them up to the ignition power as well as set them to 'remember last state' so that they automatically turn on every time I switch the ignition on. The alternative option as demonstrated in Oracle's instructional video is to T-Tap them into the parking light wiring loom. This install would have meant having to manually switch my parking lights on each time I wanted them to be on. Overall for a novice electrician, the install was really straightforward.

Mopar OEM Grille Guard on the way, and still contemplating the 7" Aux lights to go with it...

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Tire Land vehicle

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
1,261 Posts
I’ll be very honest with you about this, I hate having amber colored lights anywhere on my Jeep. So the only way I’d do this would be with smoked clear lights.
Great job on the installation. Not easy I’m sure.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Looks good, I wish they offered the Extreme Recon option on the 4xe, I would have really liked the 4.56 gearing included in the package. I put the 315s on mine and it's great, but I do love the XR wheels.
Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’ll be very honest with you about this, I hate having amber colored lights anywhere on my Jeep. So the only way I’d do this would be with smoked clear lights.
Great job on the installation. Not easy I’m sure.
Agreed — I think the clear corner mod was the first thing I did on the Jeep, the stealth install of the tinted amber prerunner lights keeps things clean, the installation is much easier than you think if you have the factory aux switches and some basic electrical knowledge

Looks good, I wish they offered the Extreme Recon option on the 4xe, I would have really liked the 4.56 gearing included in the package. I put the 315s on mine and it's great, but I do love the XR wheels. View attachment 7204
Agreed as well, I wish I was able to re-gear but to my knowledge, the 4xe will not accept an axle ratio re-program beyond 4.50. The 315’s look great on the standard wheels too

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thought about documenting this for awhile now and just never had the time to catalog everything into a post -

View attachment 7152

Early on, I knocked out some small things to clean up the overall appearance of the vehicle:
  • Removing gray-insert Jeep fender badges, Trail Rated badge, and rear 4xe badge and replacing with the black-insert versions from the High Altitude
View attachment 7153
View attachment 7156

View attachment 7157

Eventually I really grew to like the look of the OEM Xtreme Recon package seen on other Rubi's and High Tides, and to my knowledge this was not a package you could order for the 4xe and liked the idea of having a factory package that nobody else would have - so I started piecing it together.

In order to accommodate the oversize spare, I sourced the OEM Mopar Hinge Gate Reinforcement, Spare Relocation Kit, and CHMSL Relocation Kit and had them installed so I would be ready to go to the Xtreme Recon wheels once they became available. I also installed the OEM XR fender flare extensions and a set of 1.75" spacers all around

View attachment 7158

Shortly thereafter, I found a local seller who was going to 37's, and so I was able to line up a local buyer for my OEM 4xe Rubi wheels + tires pick up a mint set of the XR wheel and tires for a great deal. Easily the biggest difference maker (no surprise) on the appearance of the Jeep and I love the look. I was wondering if I would have to lift it or level it after going to the bigger wheels and tires, since I know the XR package does provide additional height over the factory Rubi lift, but I think I am going to leave it as is given that I still think it looks great as is.

View attachment 7161

View attachment 7163

Plans going forward:

I would like to install a set of the amber pre-runner style lights in the top of the grille, however based on my research it looks like the Trail Camera throws a wrench into the fitment for the middle light. It looks like there is a hole above the camera that is large enough to thread the light through, however I think the issue becomes mounting it securely. I wonder if anyone here may have the means to 3D print a custom mount for the Trail Cam? Something I would definitely be willing to pay for in order to get the look I'm after. EDIT: I found the updated design Oracle Prerunner LED's and ordered a set as they look like they accommodate the Trail Cam, will post pics after install

Thinking I would also want to add the OEM Grille Guard to the steel front bumper along with the 7" Mopar OEM Auxiliary lights -- in the spirit of keeping the OEM+ look I wouldn't go aftermarket, but am open to input on whether or not I should add these. They would receive functional use in northern Minnesota when visiting my parents, as their place is at the end of a series of rural roads usually well-populated with deer at night.

And lastly, I think the only piece of the XR package I am missing is a taillight bezel that goes around the taillight where it meets the body of the Jeep - however I can't seem to find the part number anywhere for it. Minor detail for sure, but would be cool to have all the XR details if I've already come this far. If anyone know's how I could find this piece, let me know.

Thanks for reading!

View attachment 7152

View attachment 7153
View attachment 7156

View attachment 7157

View attachment 7158

View attachment 7161

View attachment 7163

Plans going forward:

Thanks for reading!

View attachment 7152

View attachment 7153
View attachment 7156

View attachment 7157

View attachment 7158

View attachment 7161

View attachment 7163

Plans going forward:

Thanks for reading!
What kind of mpg are you getting now after adding XR package?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I was thinking about adding spacers and the XR fender flares to my rubi. How did that look with just those 2?

i go doors off a lot, and didn’t want to do just the spacers and then get water/dirt in the cabin

I never post anything so forgive me if these pics don't work. Here's my 4Xe with just the XR flares and 1.75" wheel spacers - stock wheels & tires.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts