Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the battery run down to less than 1%, I took the Wrangler 4XE on a 20 mile drive and managed 23 MPG. I also took a little time in this video to go through some of the screens.

·
Registered
2 Posts
With the battery run down to less than 1%, I took the Wrangler 4XE on a 20 mile drive and managed 23 MPG. I also took a little time in this video to go through some of the screens.

Thanks for sharing. Mine is built and waiting for distribution.

Very curious to see if your miles per gallon improves if you had more charge. On your 20 mile drive, did you see any evidence of the regenerative charging taking place? Curious to see if you took a longer trip if you would get better than 23 mpg.

keep us posted.

·
Registered
125 Posts
@Wrangler4XEFan have you drive the Driver Assist system yet? Would be interested in knowing how good/bad it is in stop and go traffic, on the highway, local roads, and how eco friendly it drives (in some cars it does terrible here)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thanks for sharing. Mine is built and waiting for distribution.

Very curious to see if your miles per gallon improves if you had more charge. On your 20 mile drive, did you see any evidence of the regenerative charging taking place? Curious to see if you took a longer trip if you would get better than 23 mpg.

keep us posted.
Welcome!
Share updates and any related details on your order here: What Is Your Order Status?. You might even see some helpful info in the 3 pages it has already.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome!
Share updates and any related details on your order here: What Is Your Order Status?. You might even see some helpful info in the 3 pages it has already.
My MPG was actually still climbing at the end of the 20 miles. And yes, there were times during that drive that the engine shut off and it ran on electric again. 1.9 miles reverted to electric. So that charge was coming from somewhere.

·
Registered
242 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Simple terms as there is lot going on - Not all the power the gas engine produces goes to propulsion and other electronics in the vehicle either, the car will use what is being generated that's not towards charging the battery. It's how a hybrid, especially a PHEV works. In addition, slowing down - at all - causes regen to happen. Once the car has enough charge according to programming, it will turn off the gas motor.

Side note: One of the reasons I always thought a diesel hybrid would be interesting, since you can idle a diesel on very little fuel or run it just off idle efficiently.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Simple terms as there is lot going on - Not all the power the gas engine produces goes to propulsion and other electronics in the vehicle either, the car will use what is being generated that's not towards charging the battery. It's how a hybrid, especially a PHEV works. In addition, slowing down - at all - causes regen to happen. Once the car has enough charge according to programming, it will turn off the gas motor.

Side note: One of the reasons I always thought a diesel hybrid would be interesting, since you can idle a diesel on very little fuel or run it just off idle efficiently.
I would have liked to have seen a series hybrid with a diesel instead of a parallel hybrid with gas. To me, that would have been the perfect vehicle and I'm not even a diesel fan.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I've done some reading in the past and it usually comes down to cost, weight, emissions, and torque curves between the two systems. They almost get in the way of each other.

I also wonder if a diesel engine would be able fire up as easily as the 2.0 does in the 4xe? I'm still blow away by how the ICE smoothly spins up out of nowhere. It still feels primarily electric.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That’s why I was thinking series hybrid instead of parallel hybrid. The diesel would just be for charging.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That’s funny you’d say that. A few people on YouTube said that too. I watched a lot of Letterman growing up. Makes me wonder if I picked something up without realizing it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts