Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To any other CA 4xe owners out there, do you feel my pain? When I purchased my 4xe back in April, the dealership told me that it qualified for the Carpool lane sticker for 2 years. On top of that, there are several rebates listed on the Jeep.com website about state and local rebates. After dozens of calls to Jeep HQ and digging up info from the Clean Air Resources Board (CARB), it turns out that the 4xe does not qualify for the carpool lane sticker or for the LADWP rebates on Residential Level 2 chargers. The program is supposed to reimburse up to $500 for a charging station, and it looks like the Mopar one runs for about $600. Frank at Jeep HQ voiced his frustrations with it all and basically blamed California's strict eligibility requirements for the problem, but he isn't able to do anything about it on his end since the state is the gatekeeper. The reason it does not qualify for the program is because it has to have an all electric range of 30 miles and it just falls short on paper. I told Frank he should let his dealerships know that they shouldn't be promising people carpool lane stickers. That is a very big deal out here to have with all of the crazy traffic, and one of the reasons I bought the Jeep in the first place. As much as I still love my 4xe, all the reasons for me spending the extra $$ thinking I was getting some back later have all gone out the window. Fingers crossed that I will be able to get the federal $7500 rebate. I was also still able to get the $1500 point of sale rebate that I didn't read about until days after buying the Jeep. They were supposed to deduct that from the price when I was signing my life away. When I went back into the dealer days later to ask for the rebate, they weren't even aware of it and asked where I learned of it and I said "Ummm on Jeep.com??" and they were apologetic and gave it to me. So make sure to read the fine print and stay on top of it, because nobody else is. Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
44 Posts
To any other CA 4xe owners out there, do you feel my pain? When I purchased my 4xe back in April, the dealership told me that it qualified for the Carpool lane sticker for 2 years. On top of that, there are several rebates listed on the Jeep.com website about state and local rebates. After dozens of calls to Jeep HQ and digging up info from the Clean Air Resources Board (CARB), it turns out that the 4xe does not qualify for the carpool lane sticker or for the LADWP rebates on Residential Level 2 chargers. The program is supposed to reimburse up to $500 for a charging station, and it looks like the Mopar one runs for about $600. Frank at Jeep HQ voiced his frustrations with it all and basically blamed California's strict eligibility requirements for the problem, but he isn't able to do anything about it on his end since the state is the gatekeeper. The reason it does not qualify for the program is because it has to have an all electric range of 30 miles and it just falls short on paper. I told Frank he should let his dealerships know that they shouldn't be promising people carpool lane stickers. That is a very big deal out here to have with all of the crazy traffic, and one of the reasons I bought the Jeep in the first place. As much as I still love my 4xe, all the reasons for me spending the extra $$ thinking I was getting some back later have all gone out the window. Fingers crossed that I will be able to get the federal $7500 rebate. I was also still able to get the $1500 point of sale rebate that I didn't read about until days after buying the Jeep. They were supposed to deduct that from the price when I was signing my life away. When I went back into the dealer days later to ask for the rebate, they weren't even aware of it and asked where I learned of it and I said "Ummm on Jeep.com??" and they were apologetic and gave it to me. So make sure to read the fine print and stay on top of it, because nobody else is. Good luck!
That's a bummer, man
Rule of thumb - if our car qualified for HOV they would have filed application at the dealer's. That's how it worked with my two previous PHEVs.
I would honestly blame both parties. Jeep, IMO, could've done a better job on battery selection and have one capable of 40+ miles, at least.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We’re in Portland, OR. We got the dealership to credit fed and state incentives ($10k total) and we got the local power company to give us $500 cash back on the ChargePoint level 2 charger.

I feel for you, it was so simple for us (fortunately).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for your post. I had checked the CARB site a while back and did not see the 4XE but thought it was just a dated list awaiting update for this new ride. My dealer also said it would qualify and so I have an order in. Based on you post I went back again to check and still not there. Upon further reading I do see the 30-mile EPA electric range requirement, which the 4XE does not meet. Trying to decide if this is a deal breaker for me, because as you note HOV is a big deal here in SoCal traffic. Appreciate the heads up.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for your post. I had checked the CARB site a while back and did not see the 4XE but thought it was just a dated list awaiting update for this new ride. My dealer also said it would qualify and so I have an order in. Based on you post I went back again to check and still not there. Upon further reading I do see the 30-mile EPA electric range requirement, which the 4XE does not meet. Trying to decide if this is a deal breaker for me, because as you note HOV is a big deal here in SoCal traffic. Appreciate the heads up.
Agreed. I also thought a PHEV was automatically HOV qualified. I'm not sure if it's a deal breaker for me necessarily. If you already ordered it presumably with $1K deposit, won't you lose deposit if you change your mind?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Agreed. I also thought a PHEV was automatically HOV qualified. I'm not sure if it's a deal breaker for me necessarily. If you already ordered it presumably with $1K deposit, won't you lose deposit if you change your mind?
My dealer waived any deposit. He said it will see regardless, so more of a hassle (I do realize that it can open me up to risk, but I found him on another Jeep forum and heard he was legit). He's trying to confirm the eligibility for me, but I already know the answer. :(

·
Registered
34 Posts
My dealer waived any deposit. He said it will see regardless, so more of a hassle (I do realize that it can open me up to risk, but I found him on another Jeep forum and heard he was legit). He's trying to confirm the eligibility for me, but I already know the answer. :(
Did you get a VIN assigned to your name? If so, you're good.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It's a $7500 Federal tax credit, not a rebate. It will offset Federal tax owed. If your tax liability is less than that, you will only get whatever it is.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Strange - the 4XE isn't on the CARB list of eligible vehicles, supposedly because the all-electric range is too low, but my current ride (BMW 530e PHEV) is on there, with its all-electric range of 20 miles.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I live in California but will be buying out of state because California dealers are charging over sticker. I can get a better deal from an Idaho dealer, even though I can't get the rebate. It sucks about the HOV lane but there's still so much going for this vehicle. It's one of two vehicles that qualifies for both a 179 deduction and $7500 tax credit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts