Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have just over 5k miles on my 4xe Sahara and really digging it; until a wobble started on the highway. Has been about 3 weeks now that hitting a bump going 50 or more creates a crazy wobble that can last 10 seconds or more depending.
I’ve made no mods to the Jeep, has anyone seen this yet? Getting it checked out next week just wanted to go to the dealer prepared.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Lift or bigger tires?

The most common is the trackbar is loose.

Xtreme Terrain did a great video where he loosened the trackbar bolt at the axle, not even a lot, then purposely hit a 2x4 in the road about about 30-35 mph. Boom- death wobble. Tightened up the bolt, fixed.

Any number of things could cause it, but with only 5K on it, I'd guess it's something loose from the factory. Trackbar, draglink especially.

·
Registered
120 Posts
This happened to mine at 2k miles. My dealer replaced the steering stabilizer and probably tightened anything loose in the suspension while at it (like ball joints as reported here). No more wobble. Take it in and this should be fixed for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have just over 5k miles on my 4xe Sahara and really digging it; until a wobble started on the highway. Has been about 3 weeks now that hitting a bump going 50 or more creates a crazy wobble that can last 10 seconds or more depending.
I’ve made no mods to the Jeep, has anyone seen this yet? Getting it checked out next week just wanted to go to the dealer prepared.
Thank you very much

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2021 4xe has about 11,000 miles on it now. It just started doing this last night. I actually think it started 2 weeks ago, but I didn't know what the infamous death wobble was at the time and talked myself into thinking it was the road. Last night it was shaking way too violently to chalk it up to that. Taking it into the dealership this week.

·
Registered
292 Posts
My 2021 4xe has about 11,000 miles on it now. It just started doing this last night. I actually think it started 2 weeks ago, but I didn't know what the infamous death wobble was at the time and talked myself into thinking it was the road. Last night it was shaking way too violently to chalk it up to that. Taking it into the dealership this week.
The disadvantage to the front solid axle over IFS is that everything on the front end has to be tight. But at least we don't have wheels falling off like Fords do.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok got the repair figured out today. It was the steering stabilizer shock. They confirmed it had a dead spot in it and wasn't doing it's job. They replaced it today no problem, and the steering feels the way it should, and I couldn't duplicate the wobble no matter how I hit a bump. I'm satisfied with the fix.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Ok got the repair figured out today. It was the steering stabilizer shock. They confirmed it had a dead spot in it and wasn't doing it's job. They replaced it today no problem, and the steering feels the way it should, and I couldn't duplicate the wobble no matter how I hit a bump. I'm satisfied with the fix.
The question is what caused the dead spot in the steering damper. A loose track bar wearing a wide spot in the damper cylinder? Typically, a new damper is a bandaid for an underlying cause. Do you have a trusted alignment shop to take it to?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The question is what caused the dead spot in the steering damper. A loose track bar wearing a wide spot in the damper cylinder? Typically, a new damper is a bandaid for an underlying cause. Do you have a trusted alignment shop to take it to?
No they didn’t say, I guess I assumed a defect in the part. It’s still well under warranty so I took it to the Jeep dealer I bought it from.

·
Registered
65 Posts
This happened quite a few times on my 2013. The remedy was Jeep replaced the front stabilizer for the steering. They said there was a recall. Although it happened 3 more times and got replaced 3 more times I dont know if that was the root cause or the trackbar like metnioned above or even possibly bad alignment. My 4xE came with a crooked wheel and Im pretty sure not aligned properly.

·
Registered
292 Posts
This happened quite a few times on my 2013. The remedy was Jeep replaced the front stabilizer for the steering. They said there was a recall. Although it happened 3 more times and got replaced 3 more times I dont know if that was the root cause or the trackbar like metnioned above or even possibly bad alignment. My 4xE came with a crooked wheel and Im pretty sure not aligned properly.
That's from the guy unloading it off the truck without putting the ramps down.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I think heavy 20 inch wheels and tires don’t help. This create a lot of mass on the solid axle requiring a lot more steering damping to eliminate the harmonic oscillations inherent to the solid axle design. Historically 15-17 inch wheels used on this platform did not carry the same weight plus people drive much faster on highways.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have my 4XE at the dealer for the same issue, 11,000 miles no modifications and death wobble.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have had my stock 21 Sahara 4xe in 3 time to fix the death wobble. Started around 7000 miles and only occurs over 65 mph. Especially on rough Interstate or curves.
They checked the tire balance, alignment and stabilizer, with no luck. Need to call again and try at my local place one more time. They want me to spend money on adding stuff but I won’t since it is less than a year old with only 10k miles If no luck will contact Jeep. May try Iowa lemon laws.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts