Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
61 - 80 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
2021 4xe Rubicon sting grey
308 Posts
Yes. But...

Head over to wrangler forum and you will see more cases of brand new JL Jeeps with the same issue.

My point is DW is not unique to 4xe and neither are the suspension components.

·
Registered
73 Posts
We get that it’s not unique to 4xe, but the point is there’s no excuse for vehicles that are less than 1 year old with limited wear (and little-to-no true off-road use) to have this issue. My Wrangler has less than 6k miles on it with 5800 of that being city/highway driving. It’s seen a couple of dirt roads/trails but nowhere near 20 miles in total.

To me there is no valid reason for steering to develop ANY of the reasons listed above other than poor engineering or assembly. Come on now…less than SIX thousand miles and it can’t be safely driven down a highway…and speeds in which I’m still getting blown by. That is punctuated by poor service experience which only serves to magnify the overall poor customer experience.

Jeep might think this level of safety and performance is acceptable…and they might have convinced a number of their customers that this is part of the Jeep experience, but as we see here there is a large share of Wrangler customers that see this is a failure of the Jeep brand. And for some of us, we won’t be customers long if the product and customer experience aren’t improved.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We get that it’s not unique to 4xe, but the point is there’s no excuse for vehicles that are less than 1 year old with limited wear (and little-to-no true off-road use) to have this issue. My Wrangler has less than 6k miles on it with 5800 of that being city/highway driving. It’s seen a couple of dirt roads/trails but nowhere near 20 miles in total.

To me there is no valid reason for steering to develop ANY of the reasons listed above other than poor engineering or assembly. Come on now…less than SIX thousand miles and it can’t be safely driven down a highway…and speeds in which I’m still getting blown by. That is punctuated by poor service experience which only serves to magnify the overall poor customer experience.

Jeep might think this level of safety and performance is acceptable…and they might have convinced a number of their customers that this is part of the Jeep experience, but as we see here there is a large share of Wrangler customers that see this is a failure of the Jeep brand. And for some of us, we won’t be customers long if the product and customer experience aren’t improved.
I 100% agree here!

I was so excited to get this vehicle and until 4300 miles it was awesome to drive, filled it up once in 3 months time.

Wondering if this model’s specific Death Wobble should go public considering that the President drove this model on the White House lawn to promote electric vehicles. I don’t think Jeep would be happy with a media article back tracking on its safety to experience to frustration ratio and letting people know to be aware that their vehicle could be in the shop for weeks or months to find a cure that is truly unique to their vehicle’s instance of DW.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Right! When I see a used vehicle on a lot with 6,000 miles I consider that practically new!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Gotta love Jeep Service. I just spoke with the Service Advisor and the 'diagnosis' is that the Synergy Track Bar and Sector Shaft Brace are the cause for the wobble. Seems like an out on their part. I can see some logic as that solution is attached to the Track Bar. The fact that this is a vehicle in which the steering is SO BAD that it requires an aftermarket solution to improve it (but not completely resolve it) yet then Jeep uses that solution as the fault as opposed to actually trying to fix the issue is more than disappointing.

I was hoping (sadly not expecting) to have this resolved under warranty, but now I'll probably bring it in to the shop that installed it to have them double-check everything. They are a highly reputable shop in Dallas, so I place more trust in them than Jeep...but I'm sure it will cost me another $200 or so for the time/labor. That is if I haven't sold it beforehand.

About the only positive thing is the $7500 I'm getting back from Uncle Sam as soon as I get my taxes done...

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
1,261 Posts
Gotta love Jeep Service. I just spoke with the Service Advisor and the 'diagnosis' is that the Synergy Track Bar and Sector Shaft Brace are the cause for the wobble. Seems like an out on their part. I can see some logic as that solution is attached to the Track Bar. The fact that this is a vehicle in which the steering is SO BAD that it requires an aftermarket solution to improve it (but not completely resolve it) yet then Jeep uses that solution as the fault as opposed to actually trying to fix the issue is more than disappointing.

I was hoping (sadly not expecting) to have this resolved under warranty, but now I'll probably bring it in to the shop that installed it to have them double-check everything. They are a highly reputable shop in Dallas, so I place more trust in them than Jeep...but I'm sure it will cost me another $200 or so for the time/labor. That is if I haven't sold it beforehand.

About the only positive thing is the $7500 I'm getting back from Uncle Sam as soon as I get my taxes done...
So you put aftermarket parts on it, developed DW and took it the dealership instead of the shop that installed the steering components??😆 Jeez man. Now you’re blaming Jeep service?? What are they supposed to do?

·
Registered
73 Posts
So you put aftermarket parts on it, developed DW and took it the dealership instead of the shop that installed the steering components??😆 Jeez man. Now you’re blaming Jeep service?? What are they supposed to do?
The DW developed 6 months after the Synergy parts were installed, and I had them check everything (fitment, grease level, etc) a few months ago when I was in the shop as I was considering new wheel/tire options. I do see your point, but the DW just came up a week or so ago and is now persistent after 6+ months of decent performance with that part installed. My disappointment with Service is that they simply saw the Synergy parts and called it a day. They didn't even check the Track Bar and Ball Joints. No effort whatsoever...

Reactions: Shakes

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
1,261 Posts
The DW developed 6 months after the Synergy parts were installed, and I had them check everything (fitment, grease level, etc) a few months ago when I was in the shop as I was considering new wheel/tire options. I do see your point, but the DW just came up a week or so ago and is now persistent after 6+ months of decent performance with that part installed. My disappointment with Service is that they simply saw the Synergy parts and called it a day. They didn't even check the Track Bar and Ball Joints. No effort whatsoever...
I agree they should look over the whole situation. But with those parts on there, it gives them an easy out. I’d be interested to know if DW disappeared if you went back to stock setup.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Yep...my primary intent by bringing it in was to have them double-check those common concerns (track bar, ball joints, etc). If they were out of spec (loose) then it's an easy effort to tighten and be done. I feel as though they are trying to a) absolve themselves of any issues and b) gain some revenue by charging me to do those simple items as opposed to claim it under warranty.

Not sure if I'll consider removing the parts or just selling the damn thing and move on. I'm planning on visiting another dealer for a trade situation tomorrow and might stop by CarMax/AutoNation to get a number..

Reactions: Shakes

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Yep...my primary intent by bringing it in was to have them double-check those common concerns (track bar, ball joints, etc). If they were out of spec (loose) then it's an easy effort to tighten and be done. I feel as though they are trying to a) absolve themselves of any issues and b) gain some revenue by charging me to do those simple items as opposed to claim it under warranty.

Not sure if I'll consider removing the parts or just selling the damn thing and move on. I'm planning on visiting another dealer for a trade situation tomorrow and might stop by CarMax/AutoNation to get a number..
I get that you don't want to pay the bill, but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea to take it back to the shop that added the aftermarket parts to have them take a look at it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think the intent of this thread was to speak on the 4xe Death Wobble with stock setup, wasn't it? Many threads on DW attribute to lifts and after market customs and has been well known for years. For a vehicle that just released, and for those of us that are in the 'left it as stock' situation, I'm wondering if this thread can be refocussed on this please? I am welcome to the conversation of after market fixes, if that is a last resort, but not that DW was possibly caused by what we did outside of the warranty of the vehicle.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
1,261 Posts
I think the intent of this thread was to speak on the 4xe Death Wobble with stock setup, wasn't it? Many threads on DW attribute to lifts and after market customs and has been well known for years. For a vehicle that just released, and for those of us that are in the 'left it as stock' situation, I'm wondering if this thread can be refocussed on this please? I am welcome to the conversation of after market fixes, if that is a last resort, but not that DW was possibly caused by what we did outside of the warranty of the vehicle.
Yeah, I mean, people can post what they want really. This is still speaking to DW. Just a different situation, but still valuable information can be had by various problems and fixes.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Agreed, my situation did start to refocus the discussion...not my intent. What I will add is that I just picked it up from the Dealer and he mentioned that there is a 'recall' (assume a TSB) that involves the Front Upper/Lower Ball Joint (tighten/retorque). He mentioned that they have seen the stabilizer installed incorrectly before, but this one was just fine and probably not the problem.

I feel better about the effort after a more transparent conversation with the Service Advisor...but it does appear that Jeep in now advising dealers on the Ball Joints as opposed to it simply being a 'known fix'. The one point of concern was when I was leaving he mentioned that WHEN it happens again, to just give him a call and bring it it...as if it's inevitable.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
1,261 Posts
Agreed, my situation did start to refocus the discussion...not my intent. What I will add is that I just picked it up from the Dealer and he mentioned that there is a 'recall' (assume a TSB) that involves the Front Upper/Lower Ball Joint (tighten/retorque). He mentioned that they have seen the stabilizer installed incorrectly before, but this one was just fine and probably not the problem.

I feel better about the effort after a more transparent conversation with the Service Advisor...but it does appear that Jeep in now advising dealers on the Ball Joints as opposed to it simply being a 'known fix'. The one point of concern was when I was leaving he mentioned that WHEN it happens again, to just give him a call and bring it it...as if it's inevitable.
Lol…That’s BS! It needs to be fixed so it doesn’t happen again.

·
Registered
2022 Rubicon 4xe
1,224 Posts
It can be a bunch of components, if they get loose or worn, in the steering or front suspension that will cause it. Bent wheels and low tire pressure can also cause it. Because it's different from individual vehicle to individual vehicle there's no fix this one item that's a cure-all...

Yeah maybe, but which parts are wearing out to cause this? Someone has to know by now. As was said, it’s been going on with Wrangler for years. I’ve read on other forums it’s the steering box.

61 - 80 of 104 Posts