Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
81 - 100 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
To me, normal wear and tear applies to tires, oil, wiper blades...items that are designed and engineered to be replaced at specific intervals. While I get that items such as bushings experience normal wear and nuts/bolts need to be checked/tightened on occasion, that doesn't justify a vehicle going into such a dangerous state of use. HOnestly, I'd be fine with a vehicle that required retorquing/tightening of parts as well as replacement every 50K miles or so to maintain acceptable ride quality. But for a vehicle to so easily be knocked into a dangerous driving condition is not acceptable. It's not like it just starts to ride rough...it becomes borderline uncontrollable.

And remember, we're talking about vehicles that are no more than 1 year old. We're not talking about JKs or TJs here. We're not talking about 50K+ mi vehicles. Jeep needs to do better with the engineering, maintenance and customer care.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
The death wobble condition as parts get loose/wear seems to be a somewhat inherent property of solid axle vehicles and is one of those trade offs that come with extreme articulation for aggressive off-roading. There's an element there of "it's the nature of the beast".

That is definitely not to say that there's any reason why this should be happening in a new, stock vehicle. That seems to be more down to things being improperly tightened at the factory.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
1,261 Posts
It can be a bunch of components, if they get loose or worn, in the steering or front suspension that will cause it. Bent wheels and low tire pressure can also cause it. Because it's different from individual vehicle to individual vehicle there's no fix this one item that's a cure-all...
I think it very strange that a particular part wouldn’t be the cause of this DW. Very strange.

·
Registered
2022 Rubicon 4xe
1,224 Posts
It's like the Tacoma Narrows Bridge on a smaller scale... Not one part but the sum of all of them allowing a harmonic to be established. I think that's why so many target the steering stabilizer. It helps remove harmonics. But really they should be chasing the cause of it.

I think it very strange that a particular part wouldn’t be the cause of this DW. Very strange.

·
Registered
11 Posts
They tightened ball joints and replaced the steering damper…along with 7 rapid updates.
This is very similar to what they did for me. It did help. The wobbles happen less often and are not as bad, but not gone.
For those asking about the steering box, on earlier JL and Gladiators they came with an aluminum steering box and bolts. These parts had more flex in them then they should and Jeep replaced them with steel. As best as I can tell the aluminum parts were a flat grey color and and the steel black. I looked at mine and it is black. I will still mention it to my dealer in a couple weeks.

2021 Jeep Gladiator STEEL Steering Gear TSB Recall (stop the slop) - YouTube

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
1,261 Posts
This is very similar to what they did for me. It did help. The wobbles happen less often and are not as bad, but not gone.
For those asking about the steering box, on earlier JL and Gladiators they came with an aluminum steering box and bolts. These parts had more flex in them then they should and Jeep replaced them with steel. As best as I can tell the aluminum parts were a flat grey color and and the steel black. I looked at mine and it is black. I will still mention it to my dealer in a couple weeks.

How do you know there isn’t a bad tire or wheel out of balance? They should check those things when all the hardware looks good and tightened up. JMO.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have just over 5k miles on my 4xe Sahara and really digging it; until a wobble started on the highway. Has been about 3 weeks now that hitting a bump going 50 or more creates a crazy wobble that can last 10 seconds or more depending.
I’ve made no mods to the Jeep, has anyone seen this yet? Getting it checked out next week just wanted to go to the dealer prepared
I have the same problem 4xe with 10,000 miles. What did the dealer tell you?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have had my stock 21 Sahara 4xe in 3 time to fix the death wobble. Started around 7000 miles and only occurs over 65 mph. Especially on rough Interstate or curves.
They checked the tire balance, alignment and stabilizer, with no luck. Need to call again and try at my local place one more time. They want me to spend money on adding stuff but I won’t since it is less than a year old with only 10k miles If no luck will contact Jeep. May try Iowa lemon laws.
I have almost 8000 miles on my new 4xE Sahara (no modifications) and the DW started last night at about 65 MPH after hitting a slight bump. Happened twice during a 53 mile trip. Taking it to my dealer asap. It's interesting that most complaints about the DW are coming from owners at about 7000 miles. . .

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have almost 8000 miles on my new 4xE Sahara (no modifications) and the DW started last night at about 65 MPH after hitting a slight bump. Happened twice during a 53 mile trip. Taking it to my dealer asap. It's interesting that most complaints about the DW are coming from owners at about 7000 miles. . .
Little over 4200 miles and it starting to occur over expansion joints at 65 mph for me now too. No mods, never off roaded. It’s unfortunate.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Quick Update for me. Got the Jeep into a different shop to address the shaking. The contacted jeep's engineers and created a service case in addition to my customer service case. After they discussed it with Jeep, Jeep's only recommendations were to:
1) Confirm all steering components were tight and the steering damper was replaced.
2) adjust the Front Total Toe, basically change the alignment settings to be near the edge of the specs, but not too much to cause wear or unsafe conditions
3) have customer (me) drive a like vehicle (no idea why)

So far these changes and repairs have helped. I will know for sure when I take it on a 8 hour high speed trip this weekend.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Mine seems to be not doing it after I checked the tires and filled them with more air.

They were a little low (like 30-32 PSI) vs the 36-38 recommended due to the temp change recently. Didn’t seem extreme enough to cause the wobble to happen but I guess anything is possible. I’m still a ways from going into the dealer to have my oil change so I’ll keep it checked.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Quick Update for me. Got the Jeep into a different shop to address the shaking. The contacted jeep's engineers and created a service case in addition to my customer service case. After they discussed it with Jeep, Jeep's only recommendations were to:
1) Confirm all steering components were tight and the steering damper was replaced.
2) adjust the Front Total Toe, basically change the alignment settings to be near the edge of the specs, but not too much to cause wear or unsafe conditions
3) have customer (me) drive a like vehicle (no idea why)

So far these changes and repairs have helped. I will know for sure when I take it on a 8 hour high speed trip this weekend.
So far so good. Took the jeep out on the interstate for about 12 hours over the weekend. The combination of these 3 things:
1) Replacement of the Steering dampener
2) RRT 21-170. related to re-torqueing the the nuts on the lower ball joints, so I guess this seemingly well-known problem is now official.
3) An adjustment to the alignment recommended by jeep

We will see over the next few thousand miles if this is indeed the fix, or just a way to suppress a different problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just had my death wobble issue fixed and it wasn’t easy! First dealer replaced the track bar but only was a band aid. Still felt shakey with minor bumps in road. Took to another dealer and turned out it was the steering stabilizer as well. All good now.

81 - 100 of 104 Posts