Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Just wondering if any 4xe owners have noticed bubbling in the paint near the door hinges. I had this issue with my JK and thought it was fixed but after reading many threads on the jlwranglers forum it seems like it is still a fairly common issue. It was a total nightmare to deal with on my JK and I'm not looking forward to dealing with it again.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Mine are all perfect at the moment. But I don't think there are any 4xes old enough to have any corrosion.

I have been looking at the hinges and wondering how they are designed to hold up.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Read this thread, starts within mos for some

·
Registered
58 Posts
On my 2018 JL I put this stuff.. now I had some extra because I also used it for the main purpose of protecting my mountain bike frame from any damage. It worked well and after two years when I got rid of the Jeep (now just waiting on my order) the hinges still looked new and had zero chips or bubbles. My 2013 prior had the rock chips and rust forming.
VViViD 3M Clear Paint Protection Vinyl Film 4 Inch Wide Choose Your Size Including Tools (4 Inch x 72 Inch) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LY0GIZ...abc_J39RQJK6QEZF6TWNF210?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks. I ordered a kit from red rocket racing because they had pre cut ppf. I got it to prevent rock chips.

The problem with the hinges isn’t rust but aluminum corrosion from metal on metal contact underneath the hinge or from the steel bolts causing a chemical reaction with the aluminum doors and hinge.

·
Registered
72 Posts
No issues on my 18 JL Sahara and I'm in New York (Long Island), so we get all sorts of weather.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks. I have been checking out random JL’s. 3 on the local deal lit all had some form of bubbling. 5 in parking lots no issues. Seems hit or miss.

·
Registered
21 Posts
this is something that jeep hasn't figured out and will happen on all of them eventually. Galvanic corrosion is a bitch

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I replaced the hinges on my JK with stainless steel but I don’t see any aftermarket solution to this for the JL.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Someone on the JL wranglers forum suggested treating the hinges periodically with a product called Corrosion Block. I figured I would try it as a preventative measure since my Jeep is only a week old. I spread it along the top horizontal section of the hinge and the back vertical section. I can tell you that it seeped between the hinges along the top out through the bottom (in the middle of the hinge) which tells me the paint job does not completely seal the gap between the hinge and door. No idea if this stuff will work but what do I have to lose.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently bought a 2018 JK Unlimited. Something I notice when washing and waiting for it to dry. Is that the hinges hold water. You don't realize how much until you start waxing and disturbing the area. Any spot that holds water is going to cause problems. And I see some slight bubbling close to a couple hinges. Amazing how Chrysler cannot seem to solve problems. Tells me theyre not really trying.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I recently bought a 2018 JK Unlimited. Something I notice when washing and waiting for it to dry. Is that the hinges hold water. You don't realize how much until you start waxing and disturbing the area. Any spot that holds water is going to cause problems. And I see some slight bubbling close to a couple hinges. Amazing how Chrysler cannot seem to solve problems. Tells me theyre not really trying.
Nice observation. I have noticed that as well. I’m going to treat with Corrosion Block every month or so as a preventative measure. Not sure it will work but it makes me feel better to know I am taking some action.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I notice that Blaster has a product called Surface Shield. It seems to be getting rave reviews. Staying put much longer than Fluid Film. If water can get into the door mounts and hinges, I wonder if this stuff will go in there and stay for awhile? Effectively protecting it? Definitely worth a try! Just thought I'd mention it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts