Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner

Reliable?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping to start this discussion and decide finally whether or not I want to get one. I’m having doubts after hearing these stories about 4xE breaking down the first 2 weeks and spending more time at the dealership than on the road. This is a 60k investment. I mean when you do research online you only hear about the issues because people post hoping to get solutions you never hear about things when they’re great.

how’s everyone’s 4xE? Any issues? Gonna hopefully be a first time jeeper here.

·
Registered
272 Posts
While the issues have been a major deal for those that have had them, the percentage of people that have had major issues is really small. Most check-engine-light issues have been caused by the weird fuel cap. There’s only one way to put the fuel cap on and it can seems seated when it’s not. A lot of people have also caught the fuel cap tether in the threads causing a loss of seal. So a really high percentage of CEL issues has come from the fuel cap.
In the Wrangler 4XE Fans group on Facebook, we have over 5,800 people. We ran a few polls and it was less than 3% of us that had issues. It’s not that it’s not a big deal to those who have had major issues, but the electrical issues just aren’t that terribly wide spread.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a brand new 4xe with 600 miles (2 weeks). I loved it while it worked.

3 days ago I went to start it in the garage and had 0 electrical. No lights, no reaction to opening door/key fob, etc. Auxiliary battery read 3V.

Got it jumped and immediately got a MIL light - I assumed due to undervoltage codes. Got it to clear after a few restarts. Drove through full electric range with no problems. On the switch from electric to gas mode, it completely stalled in the middle of the road and gave a MIL, had nothing from the engine at all. All 3 modes showed as 'Unavailable'. There were no warnings on this drive cycle before it completely stalled. Luckily I wasn't on a highway and didn't have a vehicle directly behind.

I would say I'd recommend the vehicle if you understand that there will be bumps with purchasing something this new. It seems to me like a lot of the issues are at the plant level and not a failure in design.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I don't trust this vehicle to not leave me stranded. I'm nervous about taking it off road for that reason. Maybe after I get 5k or 10k miles with no further issues I'll feel better about it. Currently at 1,400 miles. I don't drive it all that much, just errands or dinner near the house (it's a second vehicle). The last thing I want is to be driving it to work on the freeway and have it shut down on me.

Had a CEL when I took delivery and had to drive it three and a half hours home from the dealership through the dark desert to get it home with the CEL on. That wasn't fun, but at least it ran and wasn't a big deal to fix. My issue was with the fuel door, not the fuel cap. A piece fell out of the fuel door area and it was throwing a CEL.

I only recommend this vehicle to friends with the caveat that they need to understand it's new technology and it may or may not leave them stranded. They may or may not be left without a vehicle for days or weeks at a time. If they're okay with that risk, then I say go for it (I did). Especially for anyone in my situation where it's just a cheap lease and a second, fun vehicle for them. I personally would not purchase this vehicle as a daily driver.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mine has broken down and required a tow twice in 1 week to a dealer. 330 miles the first time, 1300 miles the second time. Both for the same issue.

For me, I would never buy this car again. Especially if you plan to take it off road (the whole purpose of a wrangler!!)

·
Registered
2021 Wrangler Sahara 4xe
59 Posts
My 4xe is my daily driver. I have less than 800 miles on it, but I have had no major issues and have no reason not to trust it. I'd drive it out of town right now if I had a reason to. Honestly love the vehicle and have no complaints, other than I wish it had more electric range.

·
Registered
2021 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
33 Posts
Sometimes I think social media just makes people unnecessarily anxious, nervous, crazy, etc. Reading about somebody’s issues can drive you nuts, I admit I was borderline before I finally pulled the trigger and bought my 4xe (Zero regrets btw). There are some days I get on FB Jeep groups and it’s like 98% negative, which c’mon, statistically that’s just not possible, yeah? Honestly I don’t think there is an unusually high amount of issues here, but it’s just so “in your face” because of these platforms. I don’t mean to diminish the issues some have, especially spending so much money! It’s not out of the ordinary for a new vehicle these days to have issues here and there, which is likely the majority of 4xe owners. There‘s a ton of benefit to these platforms to learn and build a camaraderie with fellow Jeep enthusiast but take all this info, stories, opinions, etc with a grain of salt. Namaste People!

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
44 Posts
All negative reviews aside, think about what other capable off-roaders you can buy under $65k? Maybe a 4Runner TRD top trim. So if quality and reliability are on top of your priorities list you should consider it over 4xe. Other than that 4xe beats everything else in under $65k range…

·
Registered
553 Posts
My 4xe is my daily driver. I have less than 800 miles on it, but I have had no major issues and have no reason not to trust it. I'd drive it out of town right now if I had a reason to. Honestly love the vehicle and have no complaints, other than I wish it had more electric range.
Ditto!

·
Registered
553 Posts
While the issues have been a major deal for those that have had them, the percentage of people that have had major issues is really small. Most check-engine-light issues have been caused by the weird fuel cap. There’s only one way to put the fuel cap on and it can seems seated when it’s not. A lot of people have also caught the fuel cap tether in the threads causing a loss of seal. So a really high percentage of CEL issues has come from the fuel cap.
In the Wrangler 4XE Fans group on Facebook, we have over 5,800 people. We ran a few polls and it was less than 3% of us that had issues. It’s not that it’s not a big deal to those who have had major issues, but the electrical issues just aren’t that terribly wide spread.
^
this!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I think only time will tell if it’s reliable. I had no major issues over 9.5 years with my JK. I bit the bullet and bought the extended warranty just to to feel a little better. I can say this - 1 of 1 doctor is absolutely loving driving this thing, lol!

·
Registered
88 Posts
All negative reviews aside, think about what other capable off-roaders you can buy under $65k? Maybe a 4Runner TRD top trim. So if quality and reliability are on top of your priorities list you should consider it over 4xe. Other than that 4xe beats everything else in under $65k range…
We looked at a 4Runner TRD Pro, the top off-road model. They wanted $64,000 for a dealer car with 4K miles on it. It was underpowered (no engine option) and very noisy. We passed, especially after test driving a 4xe. No regrets on the choice.

I'll be driving DC to Orlando in a couple of weeks. While I made sure I'm covered if towing is necessary, I don't expect any trouble.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xE, White
146 Posts
I am still waiting on mine, but I had a similar situation about a year ago when we were waiting on our Tesla. All the forums and Facebook groups had nothing but issues (more so then what I have seen for the 4xe so far). We almost backed out several times. I am glad we didn't because the car is great. You are right, people dont post the good reviews. I think for every negative comment there are hundreds of owners who are just fine. It 100% sux when it's you, but I dont think it's wise to assume it will be you just by glancing through social media. Issues happen with all cars. I had a Jaguar (supposed to be unreliable) and it was one of the best cars I ever owned that never had anything close to an issue. We also had a Subaru Outback (supposed to reliable) that would have issues all the time. Yay for warranties :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
TLTR: This vehicle is an engineering marvel, full of potential, super fun and exciting to drive, but it and it's necessary support system are not yet ready or reliable.

True, all first year model vehicles are going to have growing pains and shortcomings that get "discovered" by the new owners once released to the wild. Internal vehicle testing can only get a product so far. I figured on this and accepted it going in, to some degree, and it was certainly a factor in the $60k investment decision. My wife on the other hand loves our current Jeeps, but very much had her reservations about getting a first year vehicle of this complexity, especially given that it is the most expensive vehicle we have ever purchased by double. So, expectations are super high given all the media and marketing promises and of course the high price tag equates to premium quality. You know, you get what you pay for, right? It is so true that much of the success or failure of a new product launch depends upon the engineering, parts suppliers, assemblers and support system. The engineering of this vehicle is quite impressive and my hat is off to the team that put it all together.

However, we are sadly in the unfortunate group with vehicle issues, perceived to be small by some or large by others, but growing daily. The issues with our 4xe covers a multitude of items ranging from a rip in the face of the back row leather seat that was noted back in April before we took delivery that still has not been replaced, a 3 inch piece of masking tape imbedded in the paint with raw metal underneath from the factory in the crossbar above the rear view mirror, to the now growing list of 4xe vehicles out of commission for weeks at the service center for a failures of coolant pumps which are necessary to keep the HV battery reasonably cool and not catch fire and explode. Before the "flame" war starts (pun intended) those are the words of the Jeep technician requesting that the vehicle be taken off the road until it's fixed even if they are the same techs that think adding 35" tires to the vehicle two months later could have also cause it. 🤦‍♂️

So here we are, brand new $60k vehicle owners without a vehicle, making payments, paying insurance, watching the warranty disappear day by day, and of course missing out on that great short-lived trial of Sirius XM radio. We traded in our nearly new and not-in-love-with $30k 2019 Jeep Cherokee for this new $60k 2021 Wrangler 4xe that broke down within 650 miles of ownership and we are now on our own. Yep, Jeep Wave/purchase contract only covers a loaner or rental vehicle if your new Jeep is out of service for one day. Broke down for a week or two or three? Oh well, that's unfortunate and that's not coverage provided by Jeep/Stellantis. We are getting by at the moment in our $28k, 2010 Toyota Tundra with 148,000 and our 1983 AMC Jeep CJ-7 (miles unknown). I will say the CJ is usually an enjoyable ride albeit it is now extremely infuriating that we are relying on our almost 40 year old $2,500 Jeep to get us to the dealership to check in on our broke down new $60k Jeep. We are really, really missing our 2008 JKU that is 1,200 miles away right now and would be crushed and livid if we had traded it or any other operational Wrangler in for this 4xe.

This purchase has certainly soured our opinion of the present day Jeep Wrangler and the new owners, Stellantis. It has definitely changed our previous wonderful opinions and experiences in the Jeep Life. We love the adventure, love the outdoors, love the trails, and certainly the like minded fellow Jeep enthusiasts we have met along the way. We are unbelievably disappointed in the quality of this Jeep, both from the factory (paint/seat issues) and lack of parts availability to get it going again. There is also certainly a lack of basic vehicle familiarization by the corporation as a whole on this new product. Common people, stop calling it a 4"x"e. It is 4"by"e (4x4 word play). Say it with me, 4"by"e. And yes, Jeep makes a Wrangler that can operate on a battery, hence the "e" in the name. Geesh.

I'm sure it will eventually get fixed. I am also just as confident it will have another problem or two or more some day down the road, things happen. But this particular vehicle will always have us wondering in the back of our minds if it is going to leave us stranded off pavement, deep in the trails somewhere where Jeeps are supposed to thrive but tow trucks don't go for some stupid technical "glitch". We highly enjoy the 4xe when it is working. It is the total lack of support for it by Jeep (not our service center) and the quality of this vehicle leaving the factory that has been the reason for our recommendation that someone pass on this product for now.

I'm really hoping our 4xe gets fixed and is working properly before Christmas, because the CJ doesn't have doors, only has a bikini top and Ohio winters can get pretty chilly. Hey, at least I can say they are assembled just an hour from my house. 😐

·
Registered
2021 Stingray Rubicon 4xe
91 Posts
stop calling it a 4"x"e. It is 4"by"e (4x4 word play). Say it with me, 4"by"e.
The sales person at the first dealership I went to actually tried to correct me on this. I just kept saying “by” and after three times they stopped and just referred to it as a Jeep. This was in June too, so really no excuse by that point.

·
Registered
553 Posts
However, we are sadly in the unfortunate group with vehicle issues, perceived to be small by some or large by others, but growing daily
This is because people with issues are far more vocal than people without issues on message boards like these. Jeep has sold over 20k units the first 6 mos of this year and the number of reports issues here and on the other forums is small. Perhaps someone will produce data proving me wrong. Yes, some of the reported issues are big and have sidelined people for mos and I feel for those impacted.

of course the high price tag equates to premium quality
This is still a Wrangler that has struggled with quality issues forever. The higher price is because of the capability not because they improved their reliability record. Not the best answer but true.

I figured on this and accepted it going in, to some degree, and it was certainly a factor in the $60k investment decision.
Vehicles are purchases not investments, they depreciate day 1. Like any other purchase, you may want to sell it or check out your state lemon laws to understand your rights.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just took mine to the dealer today with with 1800 miles on it. The check engine light was on and the battery cooler pump needs to be replaced. The rear gate door stay failed and as a result there was minor paint damage and the drivers seat belt buckle doesn’t always latch correctly. I have had three jeeps so I grade them on a curve but this is inexcusable. Basic reliability is something you should expect with a new $60,000 vehicle.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts