Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner

Reliable?

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Just took mine to the dealer today with with 1800 miles on it. The check engine light was on and the battery cooler pump needs to be replaced. The rear gate door stay failed and as a result there was minor paint damage and the drivers seat belt buckle doesn’t always latch correctly. I have had three jeeps so I grade them on a curve but this is inexcusable. Basic reliability is something you should expect with a new $60,000 vehicle.
Are you still experiencing concerns, Sflynn37? If so, please send us a private message with more details and we can dig in.

Kate
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
40 Posts
No, it is not reliable. At least mine has not been. There are other stories on this forum that are similar to mine. Even the Jeep fan boys on this forum that are hating on my thread which discusses all the issues I've encountered are claiming Jeep is unreliable and I should've known better before buying one. I'd say skip this Jeep and go with something else.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hoping to start this discussion and decide finally whether or not I want to get one. I’m having doubts after hearing these stories about 4xE breaking down the first 2 weeks and spending more time at the dealership than on the road. This is a 60k investment. I mean when you do research online you only hear about the issues because people post hoping to get solutions you never hear about things when they’re great.

how’s everyone’s 4xE? Any issues? Gonna hopefully be a first time jeeper here.
3600 miles + including road trip across Florida and several southern states. No issues whatsoever.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Guys,
New here and I have 4xe Sahara and to any one having issues I am sorry you are having them. After reading all of the issues definitely afraid to take 4xe on a road trip of atleast 100 miles one way. This is my daily driver going to Atlanta and back to the suburbs havent had issues so far with 976 miles. Please keep this thread update i would like to know what are some of FCA solutions for this car

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey Guys,
New here and I have 4xe Sahara and to any one having issues I am sorry you are having them. After reading all of the issues definitely afraid to take 4xe on a road trip of atleast 100 miles one way. This is my daily driver going to Atlanta and back to the suburbs havent had issues so far with 976 miles. Please keep this thread update i would like to know what are some of FCA solutions for this car
Have 3000+ miles on my Rubicon 4xe of which I took delivery on 06-28-2021. 2000+ mile road trip that took my across the South (including Georgia $ the Atlanta area btw). No issues whatsoever.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
@Aanik Adatia thread below has a poll re: number of people having serious issues. Appears small but that certainly doesn’t make people impacted feel better I know.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The "small" part of the poll is the total number of participants. PERCENTAGE wise it is a horrific representation with GREATER THAN 1 in 3 people having (mostly major?) issues!!! It's too small of a sampling to make any final judgements though. I'm going to stay tuned in to the class action lawsuit and our Canadian neighbor's cold weather issues very closely. I really like the concept but I'm very concerned about the problems that have been reported by enough people to cause such concern. Even without the added complexity of the brand new PHEV system, the 2.0 litre engine has had an elevated number of reported issues and Jeep in general has reliability issues. Owning a 4xe almost seems like asking for trouble on an exponential level and I am a fan, not a hater!

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
our Canadian neighbor's cold weather issues very closely
I would add that at least some of the cold weather issues seem to be more of the vehicle not behaving as expected rather than a reliability issue. That's more indicative of a communication/marketing problem than a vehicle problem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
As a prospective buyer doing research here I’m willing to accept some quirks and bugs. I actually came here after finding early model bugs showing up in the Bronco. I thought Jeep would be the solution for at least a few years as a great get out and hit trails with the boys solution. WTS, the going dead on the middle of the road issue is a deal breaker for me. My boys will be with me and the roads we would take to the trails could be deadly if we couldn’t get to the emergency lane or off ramp. I’m going to be watching this issue, and Jeep, for the next month or so.

I have noticed a good bit of low mileage 4xe being for sale. One had just been ‘returned’/traded at the first Jeep lot I went to in LA. If you do a quick CarMax search you can find A LOT of 4xe with less than 15K miles on them for sale. Not confidence inspiring. I still want the Jeep but I have to see how this plays out. Could end up going with a different engine.

·
Registered
168 Posts
As a prospective buyer doing research here I’m willing to accept some quirks and bugs. I actually came here after finding early model bugs showing up in the Bronco. I thought Jeep would be the solution for at least a few years as a great get out and hit trails with the boys solution. WTS, the going dead on the middle of the road issue is a deal breaker for me. My boys will be with me and the roads we would take to the trails could be deadly if we couldn’t get to the emergency lane or off ramp. I’m going to be watching this issue, and Jeep, for the next month or so.

I have noticed a good bit of low mileage 4xe being for sale. One had just been ‘returned’/traded at the first Jeep lot I went to in LA. If you do a quick CarMax search you can find A LOT of 4xe with less than 15K miles on them for sale. Not confidence inspiring. I still want the Jeep but I have to see how this plays out. Could end up going with a different engine.
I understand your caution. I share it. I'm hoping mine is OK. I'm hoping even more that Jeep acknowledges the problems and identifies a solution.

Carmax isn't the best baromter. I see more 2021 Tesla Model Ys than 4xes and Tesla may have an even more rapidly loyal fanbase than Jeep.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I have noticed a good bit of low mileage 4xe being for sale. One had just been ‘returned’/traded at the first Jeep lot I went to in LA. If you do a quick CarMax search you can find A LOT of 4xe with less than 15K miles on them for sale. Not confidence inspiring. I still want the Jeep but I have to see how this plays out. Could end up going with a different engine
Carmax is offering a lot of money to buy these out. People are purchasing with the intent of immediately flipping, which is part of why you're seeing that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I understand your caution. I share it. I'm hoping mine is OK. I'm hoping even more that Jeep acknowledges the problems and identifies a solution.

Carmax isn't the best baromter. I see more 2021 Tesla Model Ys than 4xes and Tesla may have an even more rapidly loyal fanbase than Jeep.
Good point. We had a Tesla Model S. It had some quirks. Once had all the electronics go black but it still drove. We had to pull over and do a soft reset on it.

·
Registered
111 Posts

Your research has some deep flaws.

First, do not look at this message board and think it is a proper barometer of reality. It is not.

Second, your assumption that low mileage
jeeps are because the owners do not like them is likely inaccurate. Many people are taking the tax credit and flipping them for profit.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Your research has some deep flaws.

First, do not look at this message board and think it is a proper barometer of reality. It is not.

Second, your assumption that low mileage
jeeps are because the owners do not like them is likely inaccurate. Many people are taking the tax credit and flipping them for profit.
Remove the CarMax element and I’m still not getting a 4xe as long as there are reports of people having it die on them in the middle of the road .. unable to get to the side. I’m not trying to bash the 4xe. I want one. It’s absolutely perfect for my use-case.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts