Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't pushed the 4xe super hard, but so far it feels about the same as my 2019 JL 6 cylinder. Especially have not noticed the instant torque everyone talks about. Am I doing something wrong or is it the Jeep? Or just my expectations? I just leave it in hybrid mode and have never felt what others describe. I am coming from a Model 3 SR+ which is not much faster, but that may be it. Anyone else here coming from a Tesla?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I haven't pushed the 4xe super hard, but so far it feels about the same as my 2019 JL 6 cylinder. Especially have not noticed the instant torque everyone talks about. Am I doing something wrong or is it the Jeep? Or just my expectations? I just leave it in hybrid mode and have never felt what others describe. I am coming from a Model 3 SR+ which is not much faster, but that may be it. Anyone else here coming from a Tesla?
There are a surprising number of Tesla owners with the 4xe but sadly I'm not one, I'd love to have a Model X. It usually seems to be the tech side of things that bother them (Uconnect, ACC, etc.).

Are you comparing from a dead stop? The instant torque is great for slow speed control but it's sluggish off the line if the engine isn't running. It's a little pointless in a Wrangler to drag race but it can be fun. I have a perception it's faster than my Mustang GT because the Wrangler 4xe is so quiet and smooth, compared to it sounding like I'm in a nascar race.

The following will get P2 and ICE to apply maximum power.

1. Optional - Take roof and doors off for a few tenths of a second off 0-60
  2. Get the engine warmed up using e-save or manual shifting mode
  3. keep engine running
  4. Put transfer case in 4H
  5. Turn off traction control
  6. Floor it
I haven't pushed my 4xe too hard since I'm getting a kick out of having over 1000 miles on a tank of gas.

·
Registered
2021 Jeep 4xe Rubicon
28 Posts
I think the roll on from 40 mph is pretty amazing. Getting on the highway or just having some fun it runs very well.

I haven't seen a quarter mile run anywhere but a 6 second to 60 is faster than most 1500s. I think the GM 6.2 runs similar times and it is quick. The 5th Gen hemi 1500 are similar also. That is good company.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I also own a Tesla, a Model Y LR, and I had a 2012 JK 2 door Rubicon w/ manual. Compared to the Tesla, there is a bit of lag when flooring it since the trans needs to shift, the engine needs to start (if it's off), and so on - but then the 4xE takes off in a way the JK just couldn't. It's fast for a Jeep, faster than I'd expect a Wrangler to be for sure.

I describe the 4XE as "faster than a Wrangler should probably be", haha! I'd try what michail described above, and if that still feels slow - measure your 0-60 and that'll tell you if it's actually slower than it should be.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What everyone is saying makes sense. I am not dissatisfied. Just thought it may feel different. I think the big thing is the transmission being involved makes it feel less linear and even though the Jeep has more torque it really doesn't push you in the seat like the Tesla. That said I can flat tow the Jeep and could not with the Tesla lol.

·
Registered
258 Posts
What everyone is saying makes sense. I am not dissatisfied. Just thought it may feel different. I think the big thing is the transmission being involved makes it feel less linear and even though the Jeep has more torque it really doesn't push you in the seat like the Tesla. That said I can flat tow the Jeep and could not with the Tesla lol.
The Tesla is pretty much a rocket when it comes to acceleration. I have a Mach-E First Edition and it is pretty darn fast but not Tesla fast. Truth is if you compare most cars to Tesla for thrust, then Tesla is hard to beat.

For a body on frame vehicle.....the 4xe is pretty darn quick once the turbo wakes up.
Now if Jeep was clever enough to pre-spool the turbo with electric power then watch out! :)

·
Super Moderator
249 Posts
If you want to do a quick[er] sprint from a dead dig, if you're in Hybrid mode, bump the shifter from D to M, it'll fire up the engine, and then shift back to D, let it shift itself. Some of the "lag" people describe is the latency between full throttle and the ICE starting. :)

Seems pretty quick to me, certainly comparable to the DD/RT we sold (5.7, 360HP/390 lb-ft, AWD), that low end torque from the motors is a pretty good kick-in-the-pants :D

My previous GT (convertible) of course felt faster, it was tuned as well ('19, so 460HP stock, with 3.55 gears and the A1), but yeah, the Tesla is something entirely different. We recently scored a new Model 3 Performance, and it makes my (now gone) GT feel like a Camry ...

·
Registered
170 Posts
You can also throttle-brake the 4xE - flooring it starts the engine, and it won't go anywhere with the brake applied. Go into 4Hi auto, then release the brake and hang on! I think Wrangler4xEFan does that in a youtube video, or maybe that was someone else?

I'm not sure if that's good for it or not - but I wouldn't make a habit of doing it.

·
Registered
428 Posts
If you want to do a quick[er] sprint from a dead dig, if you're in Hybrid mode, bump the shifter from D to M, it'll fire up the engine, and then shift back to D, let it shift itself. Some of the "lag" people describe is the latency between full throttle and the ICE starting. :)

Seems pretty quick to me, certainly comparable to the DD/RT we sold (5.7, 360HP/390 lb-ft, AWD), that low end torque from the motors is a pretty good kick-in-the-pants :D

My previous GT (convertible) of course felt faster, it was tuned as well ('19, so 460HP stock, with 3.55 gears and the A1), but yeah, the Tesla is something entirely different. We recently scored a new Model 3 Performance, and it makes my (now gone) GT feel like a Camry ...
I used to own a coyote mustang, 2011, rented a ‘16 camaro ss on vaca for a week, and my first day back home I test drove a p100d and an m3p.

the mustang will whoop on that model 3 on the highway. Mustang traps the 1/4 mile around 118-119mph. Model 3 Perf traps around 114-115.

On that tesla test drive I took those cars to their limits. The M3P is hands down the most fun car I’ve ever driven for running errands at sub 60mph speeds. Famously fun cars like a miata, s2000, boxter, all trumped by the m3p. The only thing
i’ve ever driven with more fun factor is my gsxr600.

As soon as you get that model 3 on the highway it was boring AF. All the fun happens below 60mph.

incase anybody is interested. I had a rare series of events happen that probably gives me one the best perspectives in the world on tesla handling.
-i was driving essentialy the car with the best handling dynamics in the world for an entire week right before my tesla test drive. The 2016+ camaro is on gm’s billion dollar alpha chassis. Literally every car on this chassis is just incredible at handling.
-my appointment is the same day I get back from vacation
-and then another extremely rare circumstance, I drive both the p100d and the model 3p back to back, and take them to their performance limits. Surely no automotive reviewer has ever had the opportunity to get such a perspective on how 3 amazing vehicles compare to each other.

-number of people on earth that understand handling dynamics as much or more than me= 1 million
-Number of people in that million that had an opportunity to completely rip on a model 3 performance and p100d back to back? = i dunno maybe 20-30? How many of them actually publish a review on that experience? 0? I dunno
-number of people that did this with a gm alpha chassis, m3p, p100d = probably 0

just want you to understand the value of the perspective

My result
-the p100d model S is a boring AF boat. The handling is much worse than I expected. The interior was worse than I expected. The acceleration was a riot. I really did not like this car at all. It was just so blah. Could not possibly be more of a one trick poney.
-model 3 performance
This car was incredible. I immediately bought stock in tesla after driving it. The interior was way way cooler than the model S. It felt surreal, straight out of a movie. The seating position was great, very sporty. The acceleration below 60 was every bit as fun as the p100d. Above 60 the m3p felt pretty boring. 114 trap speed is not slow so not sure if it that has change. I drove the 1st year m3p.
M3p handling - steering was super quick, not too much feedback, but it was great 8/10. Initial turn in and direction changes were very fast. Not quite porsche boxster fast, but pretty damn fast.
Mid corner is where this thing was pretty sloppy. It wasn’t even on the same planet as the camaro. This is also why the m3p is definitely not a canyon carver. Any sort if sustained g loading, sloppy and not composed is all I can say.
Corner exit however, there is no production car that comes close to the way this thing pulls out of a corner. My lord that was awesome.
I would not be surprised the m3p is the fastest production autox cars ever built. Everything it does is perfect for autox. Like I wouldn’t be surprised if it beat hypercars and maybe even gt3 cars (real gt3, not “porsche gt3”)

that being said, everything great about the model 3P atleast in 2018, happened at low speed. I would not want this car for rural driving. I mean it would still be “ok” for rural driving. But for $60k gimme something else.

but if you live in a major metropolitan area, and like me going 10 miles takes you 20 minutes and you probably hit 30+ stop signs and/or traffic lights on the way, model 3 performance is arguably the greatest car ever built for that. (Unless the plaid handling is nothing like the p100d handling.)

there is one thing I recommend everybody upgrade on the m3p, and that’s the suspension with some aftermarket coilovers. Not too expensive, and it will fix literally the only aspect of driving it that leaves a lot to be desired.

damnit why did I get this 4xe, i shouldn’t just bought a m3p

·
Registered
428 Posts
Model 3 can't ford streams or crawl up trails, that's why I have a 4xE in addition to my Y.
Fyi, not sure if you’ve ever driven a 3, but for some unknown reason the model Y does not launch like the 3 and the S. You won’t find this in any magazine. I noticed it the first time I launched my buddies LR awd. The 3 and the S have this huge jerk from 0 mph. The model Y does not have that, it doesn’t start pulling hard until like 10-20mph. It can be verified by looking at acceleration data on forum posts.

model Y has more power than model 3 because the Y weighs more and they are nearly identical from 15mph-60mph, but the initial launch is pretty weak on the Y.

·
Registered
2022 Rubicon 4xe
1,218 Posts
Totally a guess but assume the 3 doesn't launch like it's expensive siblings to encourage those that can to buy bigger (more expensive). Similar to how BMW uses different programming for same engine depending on trim.

Fyi, not sure if you’ve ever driven a 3, but for some unknown reason the model Y does not launch like the 3 and the S. You won’t find this in any magazine. I noticed it the first time I launched my buddies LR awd. The 3 and the S have this huge jerk from 0 mph. The model Y does not have that, it doesn’t start pulling hard until like 10-20mph. It can be verified by looking at acceleration data on forum posts.

model Y has more power than model 3 because the Y weighs more and they are nearly identical from 15mph-60mph, but the initial launch is pretty weak on the Y.

·
Super Moderator
249 Posts
Famously fun cars like a miata, s2000, boxter, all trumped by the m3p
I had a nicely setup S2K, it's about as good of a pure roadster experience as there is, and it still looks great. I think Honda just needs to stuff the Civic Type-R motor in it, update the electronics a touch, put it back on the market. The thing is, it's just such a specific use case of a vehicle: when it's good, it's great, otherwise it's a small 2-seater, noisy, manual only - I drove mine to Orlando Int one time, was super late getting back in from DC, I didn't want to drive home (~2 hours) , I almost just spent the night at the onsite Hyatt :D

But yeah, there's something about the M3P - really any performance EV - that's an insanely fun experience that's nothing like anything else, I mean, I'm at ~7 months with ours, and the acceleration never get old.

As soon as you get that model 3 on the highway it was boring AF. All the fun happens below 60mph.
Highways are for driving to another city with the family, fun always happens under 60MPH :)

(and I say that as someone whos' owned nasty "highway cars" like a 4th Gen Supra)

i was driving essentialy the car with the best handling dynamics in the world for an entire week right before my tesla test drive.
* Waits to hear Porsche GT3/GT4, gets Camaro *

:ROFLMAO:

1 - 20 of 77 Posts