Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't pushed the 4xe super hard, but so far it feels about the same as my 2019 JL 6 cylinder. Especially have not noticed the instant torque everyone talks about. Am I doing something wrong or is it the Jeep? Or just my expectations? I just leave it in hybrid mode and have never felt what others describe. I am coming from a Model 3 SR+ which is not much faster, but that may be it. Anyone else here coming from a Tesla?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Coming from a Model 3, it’s not going to seem as zippy for sure. And if you are in hybrid mode with it charged, it’s not going to be as torquey as when the engine is already.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This may be just me, I found it quick out of the box for a 5,200 brick, and once I got about 800 miles on it, it got even peppier. A lot of times on dry roads if I give it half throttle, in a turn, the back end will try and come out on me.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Compared to my JK with the 3.6, the 4xe is fast. This is a square jeep focused on off road capabilities not an aerodynamic Tesla.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I haven't pushed the 4xe super hard, but so far it feels about the same as my 2019 JL 6 cylinder. Especially have not noticed the instant torque everyone talks about. Am I doing something wrong or is it the Jeep? Or just my expectations? I just leave it in hybrid mode and have never felt what others describe. I am coming from a Model 3 SR+ which is not much faster, but that may be it. Anyone else here coming from a Tesla?
There are a surprising number of Tesla owners with the 4xe but sadly I'm not one, I'd love to have a Model X. It usually seems to be the tech side of things that bother them (Uconnect, ACC, etc.).

Are you comparing from a dead stop? The instant torque is great for slow speed control but it's sluggish off the line if the engine isn't running. It's a little pointless in a Wrangler to drag race but it can be fun. I have a perception it's faster than my Mustang GT because the Wrangler 4xe is so quiet and smooth, compared to it sounding like I'm in a nascar race.

The following will get P2 and ICE to apply maximum power.

1. Optional - Take roof and doors off for a few tenths of a second off 0-60
  2. Get the engine warmed up using e-save or manual shifting mode
  3. keep engine running
  4. Put transfer case in 4H
  5. Turn off traction control
  6. Floor it
I haven't pushed my 4xe too hard since I'm getting a kick out of having over 1000 miles on a tank of gas.

·
Registered
2021 Jeep 4xe Rubicon
28 Posts
I think the roll on from 40 mph is pretty amazing. Getting on the highway or just having some fun it runs very well.

I haven't seen a quarter mile run anywhere but a 6 second to 60 is faster than most 1500s. I think the GM 6.2 runs similar times and it is quick. The 5th Gen hemi 1500 are similar also. That is good company.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I also own a Tesla, a Model Y LR, and I had a 2012 JK 2 door Rubicon w/ manual. Compared to the Tesla, there is a bit of lag when flooring it since the trans needs to shift, the engine needs to start (if it's off), and so on - but then the 4xE takes off in a way the JK just couldn't. It's fast for a Jeep, faster than I'd expect a Wrangler to be for sure.

I describe the 4XE as "faster than a Wrangler should probably be", haha! I'd try what michail described above, and if that still feels slow - measure your 0-60 and that'll tell you if it's actually slower than it should be.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What everyone is saying makes sense. I am not dissatisfied. Just thought it may feel different. I think the big thing is the transmission being involved makes it feel less linear and even though the Jeep has more torque it really doesn't push you in the seat like the Tesla. That said I can flat tow the Jeep and could not with the Tesla lol.

·
Registered
188 Posts
What everyone is saying makes sense. I am not dissatisfied. Just thought it may feel different. I think the big thing is the transmission being involved makes it feel less linear and even though the Jeep has more torque it really doesn't push you in the seat like the Tesla. That said I can flat tow the Jeep and could not with the Tesla lol.
The Tesla is pretty much a rocket when it comes to acceleration. I have a Mach-E First Edition and it is pretty darn fast but not Tesla fast. Truth is if you compare most cars to Tesla for thrust, then Tesla is hard to beat.

For a body on frame vehicle.....the 4xe is pretty darn quick once the turbo wakes up.
Now if Jeep was clever enough to pre-spool the turbo with electric power then watch out! :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
If you want to do a quick[er] sprint from a dead dig, if you're in Hybrid mode, bump the shifter from D to M, it'll fire up the engine, and then shift back to D, let it shift itself. Some of the "lag" people describe is the latency between full throttle and the ICE starting. :)

Seems pretty quick to me, certainly comparable to the DD/RT we sold (5.7, 360HP/390 lb-ft, AWD), that low end torque from the motors is a pretty good kick-in-the-pants :D

My previous GT (convertible) of course felt faster, it was tuned as well ('19, so 460HP stock, with 3.55 gears and the A1), but yeah, the Tesla is something entirely different. We recently scored a new Model 3 Performance, and it makes my (now gone) GT feel like a Camry ...

·
Registered
71 Posts
You can also throttle-brake the 4xE - flooring it starts the engine, and it won't go anywhere with the brake applied. Go into 4Hi auto, then release the brake and hang on! I think Wrangler4xEFan does that in a youtube video, or maybe that was someone else?

I'm not sure if that's good for it or not - but I wouldn't make a habit of doing it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts