Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Super Moderator
249 Posts
I have heard the Y weak launch thing before, actually, and do notice it. To be fair I have not driven a 3, but I can totally tell that power is limited right off the line until 10mph or so, as others said. I have seen speculation that part of the "accel boost" upgrade is removing the weak launch, but I haven't seen confirmation of that.

The bottom line, for me, is that the Y is fast enough for daily use and possibly "real world faster" than many cars when you factor in altitude where I live, not wanting to abuse manual gas cars, and so on. I like it, though my next car will likely be some kind of non-Tesla EV due to some of the UX stuff I don't like.
The next two years will be pretty exciting in terms of EV development. At the moment, Tesla's massive charging network is still a major decision point for me, but as more non-Tesla DCFCs open, and Tesla opens their network to other cars, things will really change.

Now that I've had a taste of first a PHEV (with our 4xe) and then a BEV (the Tesla), I'm am all in to go BEV for both vehicles, and in 2 years, our next buying cycle will up so I'm hoping for either a massively improved PHEV Jeep or an outright BEV, and will also see by then what Ford, GM, indies like Rivian have.

Exciting stuff!

·
Registered
2022 Rubicon 4xe
1,218 Posts
And, i think i read, Tesla announced they're going to open their charger network for other than Tesla use (with an adapter of course).

The next two years will be pretty exciting in terms of EV development. At the moment, Tesla's massive charging network is still a major decision point for me, but as more non-Tesla DCFCs open, and Tesla opens their network to other cars, things will really change.

Now that I've had a taste of first a PHEV (with our 4xe) and then a BEV (the Tesla), I'm am all in to go BEV for both vehicles, and in 2 years, our next buying cycle will up so I'm hoping for either a massively improved PHEV Jeep or an outright BEV, and will also see by then what Ford, GM, indies like Rivian have.

Exciting stuff!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Heh, I'm the other way around. I'm not a Musk fan, or really a Tesla fan - but I like my Y despite the UX quirks and think it's a great daily car, maybe the greatest I've had. It's just not for everyone.
Not to turn this into a musk thread

but the guy could have started any business he wanted to. What does he chose….literally the most impossible businesses to succeed specifically because they advance humanity.

i don’t know about you, but all the ticky tack negative shit they say about him is trumped by his accomplishments.

You also have to consider all of the businesses he’s disrupting. Almost the entire list of top 100 companies in the world. Starlink is a threat to all the communication companies. Tesla is a threat to all the automotive and oil companies. Like if you go down the list of the biggest companies in the world there’s a very high chance elon is doing something that is a threat to them. Then you combine that with tesla’s ridiculous stock valuation and all the guys shorting their stock. What do you think these companies are going to are going to do, just sit back with their hands folded? No they are going to try everything possible to stop it from happening. From influencing lawmakers, influencing suppliers, to influencing the general public through social media and news outlets. Which undoubtably includes convincing the public he’s a bad guy.

Yet somehow, someway, he’s still doing it? It’s nothing short of a miracle honestly.

also I have no seen one shred of verifiable evidence there is any legitimate reason to dislike him other than being influenced by smear campaigns and because some people out there just hate all billionaires. (But coincidentally only hate billionares they see social media posts about. They don’t go about doing research on billionaires, the kind that don’t make headlines and stay out of the limelight, you know, 90% of them)

Yes, the most hated billionares, mark zuckerberg, elon musk, jeff bezos, and bill gates. So weird how the most recognizable ones are also the most hated. Maybe, just maybe, all the hate for them is rooted in bullshit.

·
Super Moderator
249 Posts
And, i think i read, Tesla announced they're going to open their charger network for other than Tesla use (with an adapter of course).
They did!

It's too bad (and I won't get into the who did/didn/t) the US didn't standardize around the Tesla connector, it's so much more compact vs. CCS, but in many other parts of the world, a Tesla comes with a CCS port - so there's a lot of speculation of a possible switch, or maybe some kind of combo plug[?]

Output device Audio equipment Gadget Font Rim

The top/round portion of CCS is the J1772 AC connector you see on your 4xe, then the CCS adds the high power DC ports as well, but it's a beast.

The way Tesla integrates the charging is really elegant too, tap a Supercharger on the nav, it routes you there and pre-heats the batteries for max charge rate, you plug in (the connector opens the port), all the billing, etc., is handled right through the car and your account.

FWIW, at home we use a Grizzl-E with a J1772 connector, which is native on the 4xe, so for the Tesla I actually use an adapter (supplied with the car), works great though.

·
Registered
428 Posts
For me, his naming a company "the boring company" is my mind of silly humor... And then renaming his fundraiser "not a flamethrower" to avoid CA regulation... He's like a real world bond villain with a sense of humor...
Ludicrous and plaid mode are from space balls

he does all sort of stuff like that

love elon, and it’s the furthest thing from being a delusion fan boy. I love the guy for what’s he’s accomplished. He genuinely is “amazing”

I don’t see how it’s possible to dislike unless they were persuaded by some social media/billionaire hate BS literally grasping at anything negative they can.

·
Registered
2022 Rubicon 4xe
1,218 Posts
Does the Tesla have the same capacity for signaling as the J1772? And was the Tesla connector a 'thing' before there was a standard?

They did!

It's too bad (and I won't get into the who did/didn/t) the US didn't standardize around the Tesla connector, it's so much more compact vs. CCS, but in many other parts of the world, a Tesla comes with a CCS port - so there's a lot of speculation of a possible switch, or maybe some kind of combo plug[?]

View attachment 4080

The top/round portion of CCS is the J1772 AC connector you see on your 4xe, then the CCS adds the high power DC ports as well, but it's a beast.

The way Tesla integrates the charging is really elegant too, tap a Supercharger on the nav, it routes you there and pre-heats the batteries for max charge rate, you plug in (the connector opens the port), all the billing, etc., is handled right through the car and your account.

FWIW, at home we use a Grizzl-E with a J1772 connector, which is native on the 4xe, so for the Tesla I actually use an adapter (supplied with the car), works great though.

·
Registered
2022 Rubicon 4xe
1,218 Posts
I didn't know plaid was also spaceballs. And his targeting a share price of 420 at one point... He is funny!

Ludicrous and plaid mode are from space balls

he does all sort of stuff like that

love elon, and it’s the furthest thing from being a delusion fan boy. I love the guy for what’s he’s accomplished. He genuinely is “amazing”

I don’t see how it’s possible to dislike unless they were persuaded by some social media/billionaire hate BS literally grasping at anything negative they can.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yeah, Tesla vehicles can all do J1772 communication, as well as PLC (for CCS charging) on some new builds. My Y is among them, so I'm anxiously waiting the release of the CCS adapter in the US from Tesla. Any day now...

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
but the guy could have started any business he wanted to. What does he chose….literally the most impossible businesses to succeed specifically because they advance humanity
To be a bit pedantic, musk didn't start tesla. He bought his way in and then took over as the ceo 5 years after it started.

·
Registered
428 Posts
To be a bit pedantic, musk didn't start tesla. He bought his way in and then took over as the ceo 5 years after it started.
I’m well aware.Yeah but small startup companies hand building cars are a dime a dozen.

tesla hadn’t built a single car or even designed a drivetrain until musk came on board. It was basically in the “idea” phase.

For all intents and purposes, he deserve every ounce of credit for what they are

·
Registered
428 Posts
Back to the original post, I've floored it with 2H and 4Auto, It's a substantially faster in 4A, like bonkers, two hands on the wheel, something this top heavy shouldn't be this fast, faster.
High center of gravity always makes things feel faster.

More fun launching a cherokee trackhawk than a model s p100d (p100d is much quicker)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Back to the original post, I've floored it with 2H and 4Auto, It's a substantially faster in 4A, like bonkers, two hands on the wheel, something this top heavy shouldn't be this fast, faster.
The 4xe seems to limit power output in the lower gears while in 2WD. I’m sure that I read about this on the boards a few weeks ago. It will definitely surprise you when shifting to 4Auto. The acceleration feels crazy in something with such a high center of gravity.

·
Registered
428 Posts
It’s more economical to leave it in 2WD. I use 4Auto when driving on slick surfaces. Leaving it in 4Auto will decrease range and or fuel economy.
You test that?

someone needs to do a mpg test, it’s difficult to have identical conditions though

it’s effect how range depends how jeep setup the 4auto. It’s possible it has zero effect. But it could also cause like a 1mpg drop.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You test that?

someone needs to do a mpg test, it’s difficult to have identical conditions though

it’s effect how range depends how jeep setup the 4auto. It’s possible it has zero effect. But it could also cause like a 1mpg drop.
No I haven’t tested it on my on my Rubicon. There is a description on page 163 of the owners manual but it it doesn’t provide specifics. It seems logical though. I’m assuming this was tested by the designers of the vehicle. I would be curious to see testing results as well. If I had to guess; I wouldn’t be surprised if the 4Auto efficiency penalty is in the 5% - 10% range. I think the mode that we select is more of an owner preference thing. Im assuming that all 4xe models are equipped with the 4Auto transfer case.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts