Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Sahara 4xe
246 Posts
My reading from the manual… 2H disconnects front. 4H Auto “engages” front but only sends it power if it detects loss of traction. Acceptable to daily drive in this mode. According to some reviewers this mode requires for fastest acceleration. 4H PT - fully engaged front axle with equal power wheel spin speed front and rear.

Reactions: monkeynuts

·
Registered
428 Posts
The manual says “greater fuel economy benefits”. Without actual testing data, we’re guessing.
Well, unlike most vehicles we have a high resolution instant readout of consumption, the kwh display,

in all electric mode, with the car fully warmed up, look at kw usage in 2wd with cruise control on whatever speed you’d like

turn around, go back to starting point, drive on same stretch of road same direction (to account for wind and pitch), do the same thing in 4wd auto.

probably more accurate at higher speeds

i really doubt its 10% drop.
My reading from the manual… 2H disconnects front. 4H Auto “engages” front but only sends it power if it detects loss of traction. Acceptable to daily drive in this mode. According to some reviewers this mode requires for fastest acceleration. 4H PT - fully engaged front axle with equal power wheel spin speed front and rear.
I have not heard that anywhere, that yoh need to be in traditional 4hi for full power

·
Registered
2021 Sahara 4xe
246 Posts
Well, unlike most vehicles we have a high resolution instant readout of consumption, the kwh display,

in all electric mode, with the car fully warmed up, look at kw usage in 2wd with cruise control on whatever speed you’d like

turn around, go back to starting point, drive on same stretch of road same direction (to account for wind and pitch), do the same thing in 4wd auto.

probably more accurate at higher speeds

i really doubt its 10% drop.

I have not heard that anywhere, that yoh need to be in traditional 4hi for full power
Car and Driver test drives mention it.

In Car and Driver testing, a $62,415 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 4xe hit 60 mph in 5.5 seconds, which makes it quicker than anything with recirculating-ball steering needs to be. (The Rubicon 392, a vehicle designed around absurd excess, should be about a second quicker, but we haven't tested one yet.) You'll have to shift into 4WD Auto if you want to hustle the plug-in hybrid that hard, because in two-wheel-drive mode the Wrangler throttles the torque, resulting in a 60-mph time that's 1.3 seconds slower.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Do the 4xe's have the front axle disconnects like the rest of the JLs? Is it only disconnected in 2H?
Yup. It's that metal box thing on the passenger side, opposite the diff. In 2H, the disconnect... disconnects and the front driveshaft isn't spinning. In 4Hi auto, it's connected and spinning from the ground pushing on the front wheels, thus sapping a little energy, and a computer-controlled clutch in the transfer case sends torque forward as needed. From what I can tell, the MP3022 case also has a regular manual dog clutch that opens in 2Hi, so the computer clutch and chain aren't spinning at all.

Something tells me it's worth a little efficiency to use 2hi when everything is nice and dry.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Yup. It's that metal box thing on the passenger side, opposite the diff. In 2H, the disconnect... disconnects and the front driveshaft isn't spinning. In 4Hi auto, it's connected and spinning from the ground pushing on the front wheels, thus sapping a little energy, and a computer-controlled clutch in the transfer case sends torque forward as needed. From what I can tell, the MP3022 case also has a regular manual dog clutch that opens in 2Hi, so the computer clutch and chain aren't spinning at all.

Something tells me it's worth a little efficiency to use 2hi when everything is nice and dry.
that’s similar to my sierra only mine doesn’t have the manual engagement dog clutch, mine is just a dial that’s turned is all electronic actuation.

i take about a 1mpg hit in 4wd auto

I wonder how the tazer forces 2wd in 4auto mode. Wonder if it just disconnects the front driveshaft, or if it just tells the computer not to send any power forward. There’s a video on youtube of a rubicon 392 doing a rwd burnout, and I believe that has the same transfer case, only difference being it doesn’t have the option of 2hi.

·
Registered
2021 Sahara 4xe
246 Posts
They mention 4wd auto

that is totally different than traditional 4wd hi

4wd auto = awd
4wd hi = locked front and rear, cant be used on dry pavement
Yes, my point is though that you can’t be in 2WD and get 0-60 in 5.5. You need to be in 4H Auto.

Our true 4Hi with locked front to rear is called 4H Part Time. The naming is a mess.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Yes, my point is though that you can’t be in 2WD and get 0-60 in 5.5. You need to be in 4H Auto.

Our true 4Hi with locked front to rear is called 4H Part Time. The naming is a mess.
Oh you posted this a few posts up

“According to some reviewers this mode requires for fastest acceleration. 4H PT - fully engaged front axle with equal power wheel spin speed front and rear.”

ig uess the 4h pt sentence was seperate

·
Registered
2021 Sahara 4xe
246 Posts
Oh you posted this a few posts up

“According to some reviewers this mode requires for fastest acceleration. 4H PT - fully engaged front axle with equal power wheel spin speed front and rear.”

ig uess the 4h pt sentence was seperate
Yeah, first post was just a summary of the modes, the other post was a link to the article with direct quote. Sorry for the confusion. The C&D quote calls out 4H Auto.

Reactions: Bzinsky

·
Registered
192 Posts
I haven't pushed the 4xe super hard, but so far it feels about the same as my 2019 JL 6 cylinder. Especially have not noticed the instant torque everyone talks about. Am I doing something wrong or is it the Jeep? Or just my expectations? I just leave it in hybrid mode and have never felt what others describe. I am coming from a Model 3 SR+ which is not much faster, but that may be it. Anyone else here coming from a Tesla?
I'm going to ask the question as I didn't see it any where after reading through the entire thread. Did your dealer take it out of "Shipping Mode"? The dealer is supposed to go in through the radio and take it out of Ship mode....when the vehicle is shipped it is in a de-rated HP/TQ through the computer...I don't know why Jeep does this (also other vehicle options will not work) maybe so if it gets stolen it won't drive very fast....who knows. I have heard of a dealer not taking a Ram TRX out of ship mode and the customer said his previous Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi was faster than the TRX....when the Tech realized the issue and took it out of ship mode it really unleased the HP/TQ...I think the vehicles with the Hellcat, Demon big Hemi's....the dealer has to remove in the radio and then connect the scan tool to release the de-rated HP/TQ mode......Not sure if this is the case with a 4Xe and other smaller engine's....but I do know all Stellantis/FCA vehicles have ship mode but I don't think all are de-rated HP/TQ but could be...

Reactions: New4XEMan

·
Registered
2021 Jeep Rubicon 4XE
16 Posts
I haven't pushed the 4xe super hard, but so far it feels about the same as my 2019 JL 6 cylinder. Especially have not noticed the instant torque everyone talks about. Am I doing something wrong or is it the Jeep? Or just my expectations? I just leave it in hybrid mode and have never felt what others describe. I am coming from a Model 3 SR+ which is not much faster, but that may be it. Anyone else here coming from a Tesla?
Put it in 4H Auto and turn off traction control. Also, have it in Hybrid mode. Then, rapidly press the accelerator to the floor and enjoy! It is quick, for a Wrangler. Even with my large 37x12.5 tires and Fuel Rebel 18” wheels I embarrassed some kid the other day in his tuner car. 😁

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I used to own a coyote mustang, 2011, rented a ‘16 camaro ss on vaca for a week, and my first day back home I test drove a p100d and an m3p.

the mustang will whoop on that model 3 on the highway. Mustang traps the 1/4 mile around 118-119mph. Model 3 Perf traps around 114-115.

On that tesla test drive I took those cars to their limits. The M3P is hands down the most fun car I’ve ever driven for running errands at sub 60mph speeds. Famously fun cars like a miata, s2000, boxter, all trumped by the m3p. The only thing
i’ve ever driven with more fun factor is my gsxr600.

As soon as you get that model 3 on the highway it was boring AF. All the fun happens below 60mph.

incase anybody is interested. I had a rare series of events happen that probably gives me one the best perspectives in the world on tesla handling.
-i was driving essentialy the car with the best handling dynamics in the world for an entire week right before my tesla test drive. The 2016+ camaro is on gm’s billion dollar alpha chassis. Literally every car on this chassis is just incredible at handling.
-my appointment is the same day I get back from vacation
-and then another extremely rare circumstance, I drive both the p100d and the model 3p back to back, and take them to their performance limits. Surely no automotive reviewer has ever had the opportunity to get such a perspective on how 3 amazing vehicles compare to each other.

-number of people on earth that understand handling dynamics as much or more than me= 1 million
-Number of people in that million that had an opportunity to completely rip on a model 3 performance and p100d back to back? = i dunno maybe 20-30? How many of them actually publish a review on that experience? 0? I dunno
-number of people that did this with a gm alpha chassis, m3p, p100d = probably 0

just want you to understand the value of the perspective

My result
-the p100d model S is a boring AF boat. The handling is much worse than I expected. The interior was worse than I expected. The acceleration was a riot. I really did not like this car at all. It was just so blah. Could not possibly be more of a one trick poney.
-model 3 performance
This car was incredible. I immediately bought stock in tesla after driving it. The interior was way way cooler than the model S. It felt surreal, straight out of a movie. The seating position was great, very sporty. The acceleration below 60 was every bit as fun as the p100d. Above 60 the m3p felt pretty boring. 114 trap speed is not slow so not sure if it that has change. I drove the 1st year m3p.
M3p handling - steering was super quick, not too much feedback, but it was great 8/10. Initial turn in and direction changes were very fast. Not quite porsche boxster fast, but pretty damn fast.
Mid corner is where this thing was pretty sloppy. It wasn’t even on the same planet as the camaro. This is also why the m3p is definitely not a canyon carver. Any sort if sustained g loading, sloppy and not composed is all I can say.
Corner exit however, there is no production car that comes close to the way this thing pulls out of a corner. My lord that was awesome.
I would not be surprised the m3p is the fastest production autox cars ever built. Everything it does is perfect for autox. Like I wouldn’t be surprised if it beat hypercars and maybe even gt3 cars (real gt3, not “porsche gt3”)

that being said, everything great about the model 3P atleast in 2018, happened at low speed. I would not want this car for rural driving. I mean it would still be “ok” for rural driving. But for $60k gimme something else.

but if you live in a major metropolitan area, and like me going 10 miles takes you 20 minutes and you probably hit 30+ stop signs and/or traffic lights on the way, model 3 performance is arguably the greatest car ever built for that. (Unless the plaid handling is nothing like the p100d handling.)

there is one thing I recommend everybody upgrade on the m3p, and that’s the suspension with some aftermarket coilovers. Not too expensive, and it will fix literally the only aspect of driving it that leaves a lot to be desired.

damnit why did I get this 4xe, i shouldn’t just bought a m3p
I rented a M3P for a month while my 4xe was in the shop. I do miss it. Ideally I'd like to own both.

Passing on the highway, going from 40 to 70 mph is quite startling. It looked like all the cars around me came just came to a stop.

I'd like to try one with Ludicrous mode.

Off the line, with no transmission shifting, and no sound is also exhilarating. My Mustang would have lost control from the wheel hop.

61 - 77 of 77 Posts