Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone watch the TFL vids that show the 4xe getting about 3 miles of electric range on tough trails. Seems to make sense Jeep went the PHEV route instead of full electric at that rate.

Registered
It would be crazy expensive to do an all electric Wrangler with any kind of range right now. Manufacturers have to get to scale to bring that cost per kWh down. Since the Wrangler is so inefficient, it would take a HUGE very expensive battery to go all electric at this point. I suspect this is one of the reasons why GM brought the Hummer back to be their electric super truck. That way, it's a stand alone model that doesn't have to compete agains a cheaper gas version of itself. If the average consumer walked on the lot and saw a $100,000+ Wrangler sitting next to a $65,000 gas model, that's going to be a tough sell.

Registered
TFLCar is one of my favorite channels, but I might just be biased since I'm not far from Boulder!

I do really wonder how the upcoming EV trucks will do off-road. So, going from ~26.6 miles to 3.4 means almost 8x less range - that's crazy! Maybe they'll be more efficient somehow, but I'm thinking a lot of that energy loss is from bouncing off rocks at low speed and not being able to regenerate, things no EV can really avoid.

Registered
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
I drove about 15 miles on a off-road trail yesterday in all electric, with max regeneration on. It was about 1500-2000 feet of elevation change. The road was a well maintained fire service gravel road, and there was not many rocky obstacles or washouts.

I think the range will depend on which off-road trail you will take it on, and you obviously will not get the same range as a low rolling resistance paved road.

Towing in all electric will also significantly lower your range too.

Registered
The one issue I had was they didn't rate the drive back down. I bet the ICE hardly came on and they regained several miles of range.

On a drop of just 3,000 feet I was able to pick up 5 miles.

Registered
TFLCar is one of my favorite channels, but I might just be biased since I'm not far from Boulder!

I do really wonder how the upcoming EV trucks will do off-road. So, going from ~26.6 miles to 3.4 means almost 8x less range - that's crazy! Maybe they'll be more efficient somehow, but I'm thinking a lot of that energy loss is from bouncing off rocks at low speed and not being able to regenerate, things no EV can really avoid.
Probably similar or even worse for gas since gas engines need to throttle up to get the needed torque.

Registered
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
The one issue I had was they didn't rate the drive back down. I bet the ICE hardly came on and they regained several miles of range.

On a drop of just 3,000 feet I was able to pick up 5 miles.
Agree, Max Regeneration will probably buy them a few more miles on the downhill. They did say they want to retry the test, and were quick to get off the mountain because of lightning, so their analysis might be rushed, and unfinished.

Registered
I went wheeling up a mountain with 90% charge in hybrid mode using mostly electric although the gas did kick on a couple of times. Pretty steep trail 14 miles to the top and battery lasted most of the way. Got to <1% probably 1/2 mile from the top.

Registered
Jeep claims to have run the Rubicon Trail on electric only mode. So I'd expect the 3.5 miles they got was a bit low? I can't really comment since my order just went in last week.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts