Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be installing a 2.5” Metalcloak lift kit with 37” Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT at the end of the month. Has anyone re-geared their 4XE after lifting it and putting 37s or 38s? If so, did you go with 4.88 or 5.13 gears?

·
Registered
2021 4xe Rubicon sting grey
258 Posts
Following this as I'm doing a 3.5" and 37's as well...

From my internet sleuthing the consensus seems to be 4.88 on a daily driver / weekend warrior and 5.13 on a heavily loaded rig / dedicated trail machine.

With our torque numbers I'm doing 4.88's. If I jump to 40's then I'll to tons and 5.13's.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

From my internet sleuthing the consensus seems to be 4.88 on a daily driver / weekend warrior and 5.13 on a heavily loaded rig / dedicated trail machine.

With our torque numbers I'm doing 4.88's. If I jump to 40's then I'll to tons and 5.13's.

Agreed. 4.88 seems to be the ideal ratio for 37s and anything bigger will be 5.13 or 5.38 with 60s

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

My Metalcloak 2.5 Gamechanger lift arrived today. I am hoping to get it installed within the next couple weeks after the new tires and wheels come in.

Attachments

·
Registered
258 Posts
Your Jeep looks awesome! Well done 👌
Unfortunately, I finally got hit with COVID and I’ve been out of commission the past three weeks. The plan is get the lift on as soon as my symptoms clear.
Shit, that's rough. Definitely make sure to check your lower ball joints! I chased a squeak for hours... swapped all 8 control arms to stock and back... I remembered others having loose ball joints. BAM, nailed it.

Best wishes on that covid shit.

Maybe mine can be your motivation to finish off the coof and then lift er up.

·
Registered
258 Posts
So,

Many have been wondering about 8th gear on the highway with 37's and stock 4:11 gears.

For me at 75-80mph I can hit and hold 8th with 37's.

Stock tires at 75mph my revs were about 2100. Now I'm 1800 to 1900 but will regear at some point...

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have 37" Toyo Open Country's and no lift on my 21' 4XE and had bought a JL Mini Tazer from Z Automotive to adjust the speedo. A month or so later I decided I wanted to get 8th gear back and add 5.13's. I checked the Z Auto website and found the re gear was available and no mention of any issue what so ever. There were warnings of course for other "differences" that affected the 4XE that were available for other Wrangler models. But nothing (at that time) mentioning any problem on the 4XE gearing. So I bought Yukons and spent around $1,000.00 per axle to have them installed. Next thing I know my dash is lit up like the 4th of July and I lost ABS, TCS, Max Regen and several other systems. I contacted Z Auto and when they finally did respond they told me to attempt it again but to make sure I followed the programming with several sleep cycles. They couldn't figure out why it didn't work!. Then after a few weeks a light bulb went off over there and they said "Oh, I'm sorry, I just realized the issue. You can't go over 4.5 on the 4XE". Thats something you would think to include on any information or maybe don't advertise that it will work on a 4XE if you haven't even checked out what the system is. So I suggested they pay for my old gears (which I kept) to be reinstalled knowing full well their limited liability policy. Meaning they have ghosted me. This is a shady company. I don't believe they have any customer service, one rep actually thought it was funny. I have all the texts and email's showing their lack of empathy. Now I have to decide if I want to keep driving it hoping I don't hit a slick spot in Wyoming in the middle of winter(heavy sarcasm here). Or I pay to have my old gears reinstalled and hope a company comes along with a programmer that knows what they're doing. I'd be careful. Z Automotive doesn't stand behind their products at all.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I have 37" Toyo Open Country's and no lift on my 21' 4XE and had bought a JL Mini Tazer from Z Automotive to adjust the speedo. A month or so later I decided I wanted to get 8th gear back and add 5.13's. I checked the Z Auto website and found the re gear was available and no mention of any issue what so ever. There were warnings of course for other "differences" that affected the 4XE that were available for other Wrangler models. But nothing (at that time) mentioning any problem on the 4XE gearing. So I bought Yukons and spent around $1,000.00 per axle to have them installed. Next thing I know my dash is lit up like the 4th of July and I lost ABS, TCS, Max Regen and several other systems. I contacted Z Auto and when they finally did respond they told me to attempt it again but to make sure I followed the programming with several sleep cycles. They couldn't figure out why it didn't work!. Then after a few weeks a light bulb went off over there and they said "Oh, I'm sorry, I just realized the issue. You can't go over 4.5 on the 4XE". Thats something you would think to include on any information or maybe don't advertise that it will work on a 4XE if you haven't even checked out what the system is. So I suggested they pay for my old gears (which I kept) to be reinstalled knowing full well their limited liability policy. Meaning they have ghosted me. This is a shady company. I don't believe they have any customer service, one rep actually thought it was funny. I have all the texts and email's showing their lack of empathy. Now I have to decide if I want to keep driving it hoping I don't hit a slick spot in Wyoming in the middle of winter(heavy sarcasm here). Or I pay to have my old gears reinstalled and hope a company comes along with a programmer that knows what they're doing. I'd be careful. Z Automotive doesn't stand behind their products at all.
That sucks to hear!

If you flash back to stock do the issues remain? Besides the speedo being incorrect do the systems become functional?

I'm looking at doing the exact same thing with my 4xe on 37's but for whatever reason mine holds 8th no problem. I'm more interested in slowing her down in 4lo at least closer to stock when wheeling.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That sucks to hear!

If you flash back to stock do the issues remain? Besides the speedo being incorrect do the systems become functional?

I'm looking at doing the exact same thing with my 4xe on 37's but for whatever reason mine holds 8th no problem. I'm more interested in slowing her down in 4lo at least closer to stock when wheeling.
No. If you don’t change the ratio in the computer then the wheel speed sensors don’t agree with what the transmissions putting out and it shuts down all of the systems that get information from the wheel speed sensors. It will go into limp mode around 30mph until you adjust the ratio. At which point it shuts down all of those systems.

Which they blame the manufacturer saying they’re the ones who dropped the ball. I blame Z Automotive for not validating their product. All I asked for was for them to fix my jeep. I didn’t ask for money for the kit I bought or money back from having them installed. I just wanted my Jeep fixed until they could find a programming fix. SMH

·
Registered
258 Posts
No. If you don’t change the ratio in the computer then the wheel speed sensors don’t agree with what the transmissions putting out and it shuts down all of the systems that get information from the wheel speed sensors. It will go into limp mode around 30mph until you adjust the ratio. At which point it shuts down all of those systems.

Which they blame the manufacturer saying they’re the ones who dropped the ball. I blame Z Automotive for not validating their product. All I asked for was for them to fix my jeep. I didn’t ask for money for the kit I bought or money back from having them installed. I just wanted my Jeep fixed until they could find a programming fix. SMH
Well... shit

·
Registered
258 Posts
Yes sir. 2021 JLUR Rubicon Sting Grey 37" Toyos 18" Hutchinson Tru Beadlocks No lift 5.13 Yukon Gear Sets
I dig the rock monsters!

What made you choose 5.13? 4:88 is numerically closer to stock... looking for hard launches?

Also 37's no lift is a bold choice

·
Registered
258 Posts
Actually bold is an understatement!

You had better get extended bump stops... I could only imagine how much tire rub you will see at full stuff...

I'm probably going to roll 4.88 to keep the pinion strength... 5.13 and 5.38 pinions get kinda small... then again I have munched several R&P...

JL 5.13 on the right...
Automotive tire Camera accessory Synthetic rubber Camera lens Tread

·
Registered
15 Posts
Actually bold is an understatement!

You had better get extended bump stops... I could only imagine how much tire rub you will see at full stuff...

I'm probably going to roll 4.88 to keep the pinion strength... 5.13 and 5.38 pinions get kinda small... then again I have munched several R&P...

JL 5.13 on the right...
View attachment 3904
I went with the Hutchinson WA 2401 wheel pattern. They look great and easy to assemble but they're heavy buggers. Thats one of the reasons I went with the 5.13 ratio because I wanted to spin those tires and wheels with some purpose. And at the time I was getting everything sorted into priority and I really need a good set of snow tires. Just moved to WY. and the Toyo Open Country AT III are three peak rated and had good reviews for on road and off. My goal though is to do 60% road, 30% trail and 10% technical. There weren't any lift's out at the time and spacers aren't really a possibility and I knew from past experience 37's would clear fine as long as they aren't flexed to the stops. But the lifts are starting to show up so I will probably go that route soon but I'm gonna go with a minimum lift size to only get clearance at full tilt. I'm really liking the stance and stability of the 37"s @ factory height.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Well...

I'm still bent about the tazer! The functionality of tazer on a 4xe was already limited and now the gear ratio change function is useless...

And Jeep for limiting the max ratio to 4.50... WTF!

I'm not completely stoked about keeping my 4.11's but I guess they will stay for now... ugh

After all it is a software code limitation...

Then again, I'm not super impressed with the world today. It seems like 90% of the interactions I have with people lead me to believe human intelligence has taken a sharp decline.

My occupation puts me right at the convergence between hardware and software. No matter how good the hardware is a bad line of code can turn the hardware useless.

My coworker sent me this, totally on point!
Product Wood Font Flooring Art

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well...

I'm still bent about the tazer! The functionality of tazer on a 4xe was already limited and now the gear ratio change function is useless...

And Jeep for limiting the max ratio to 4.50... WTF!

I'm not completely stoked about keeping my 4.11's but I guess they will stay for now... ugh

After all it is a software code limitation...

Then again, I'm not super impressed with the world today. It seems like 90% of the interactions I have with people lead me to believe human intelligence has taken a sharp decline.

My occupation puts me right at the convergence between hardware and software. No matter how good the hardware is a bad line of code can turn the hardware useless.

My coworker sent me this, totally on point!
View attachment 3914
Thats about right!

Who would ever think 4.5 as an upper limit on Jeep gears would ever be a good choice. They need to get it fixed or 4xe sales are gonna take a hit when people who are wanting to wheel em' realize they're hamstrung at 4.5.

How's that Metal Cloak working out for you? Ride, cornering, nose dive,,,,etc?

1 - 20 of 72 Posts