Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2021 4xe Rubicon sting grey
258 Posts
Realistically 98% of 4xe owners will never upgrade their vehicles. The 2% who will are stuck in limbo.

I went with Rubicon Express and am quite pleased.

Ride is just like stock on the road but only the wife cares about that. I'm happy with getting my skid plates up out of the rocks. I was hammering them pretty hard.

Can't yet get it on the hard stuff just yet... I need the beadlocks, rockers, bumpers and winch that will be coming soon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I will be installing a 2.5” Metalcloak lift kit with 37” Mickey Thompson Baja Boss AT at the end of the month. Has anyone re-geared their 4XE after lifting it and putting 37s or 38s? If so, did you go with 4.88 or 5.13 gears?
You happen to have any pictures with the 37's and no lift? I'm thinking of doing the same with the xr recon wheels.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You happen to have any pictures with the 37's and no lift? I'm thinking of doing the same with the xr recon wheels.
It hasn't scrubbed yet but I'm sure if it went full tilt it would rub somewhere. The lower COG with the Hutch Beadlocks and the battery mounted mid frame make it hold the slippery stuff like glue. I'll probably put a minimum amount of lift on it this Spring but I'll probably keep it between 1.5"-2.5" and bump stop it accordingly. I'm not planning on wheeling it too crazy right off the rip where I would need to go much higher. At that point in a few years I'll get some RCS shafts for insurance and probably lift it on up. But this computer issue with the gearing is gonna have to be resolved before I do much else.

Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Car

·
Registered
15 Posts
Realistically 98% of 4xe owners will never upgrade their vehicles. The 2% who will are stuck in limbo.

I went with Rubicon Express and am quite pleased.

Ride is just like stock on the road but only the wife cares about that. I'm happy with getting my skid plates up out of the rocks. I was hammering them pretty hard.

Can't yet get it on the hard stuff just yet... I need the beadlocks, rockers, bumpers and winch that will be coming soon.
Can you send me the item number on your RE lift so I can see what all came with it? Was it specifically for the 4XE's or lift they said was compatible?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Can you send me the item number on your RE lift so I can see what all came with it? Was it specifically for the 4XE's or lift they said was compatible?
Compatible is relative...

Jl Jeeps all have the same suspension components... the spring rate varies based on engine type, 2 vs 4 doors.

I used the entire kit with all 8 control arms and top line shocks. I also added an adjustable rear track bar.

Nobody said it was "compatible"
I've done this long enough to know exactly what needs to be done. As if the internet has all the answers...

Rubicon Express Part JL7147 - Rubicon Express 3.5" / 4.5" Super-Flex Suspension Lift Kit (No Shocks) - JL7147-SLVMSWS-P03

Anyway this is just my jump off point... I fully intend to do full coilovers in the future. Last I checked both King and Fox have massive lead times.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It hasn't scrubbed yet but I'm sure if it went full tilt it would rub somewhere. The lower COG with the Hutch Beadlocks and the battery mounted mid frame make it hold the slippery stuff like glue. I'll probably put a minimum amount of lift on it this Spring but I'll probably keep it between 1.5"-2.5" and bump stop it accordingly. I'm not planning on wheeling it too crazy right off the rip where I would need to go much higher. At that point in a few years I'll get some RCS shafts for insurance and probably lift it on up. But this computer issue with the gearing is gonna have to be resolved before I do much else.

View attachment 3982
I really appreciate the profile picture. It gives me a better understanding of what I would be looking at. The only reason I'm wanting to fit 37's before a lift is bc this time around I will be in a rubi as opposed to a sahara which I just sold that had 35's. The garage height at the rental that i"m presently staying at isn't very tall. The sahara I had before had a 2 inch lift with 35 and was very close to the top. Considering the rubi 4xe is a tad taller than the non 4xe on top of 37's makes me nervous. Ideally, I would give it a 2.5 inch lift on 37's but i need to take baby steps before I would fit in the garage. Love the hutchinsons btw. I was very close to getting the rock monsters when i had my sahara but feared the weight of them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
@Bodell
I was reading through the forums since I have 2 4xe Rubi's and wanted to regear one, but as you already found out, Tazer doesn't support it and just updated the website to say 4.11 is the lowest ratio supported now, not 4.50.
Superchips doesn't support the 4xe at all - same issues, people tried it and all sorts of problems

I asked ECRI what they were capable of, same issue - 4.50 max - but ECRI has had some experience with spoofing the ecu on JK's for ford axle swaps
You are the only person I found so far who has already regeared.

Kevin at ECRI has offered to send a unit for testing if you want to work with him - all experimental of course so no guarantees. I'm a computer engineer by trade and asked him some questions about how the ESC system actually calculates the lookup for the wheel sensors and transmission sensors, and if the ESC computers could be tricked into allowing everything to work within the 4.50 limit. Speedo would be wrong since it's an ECU hard limit, but he wants to try some things out.

If you still have the 4xe geared and sitting, let me know if you are interested and I'll put you in contact.
Is there anyone else here that is having the same issue that has 4.56 or 4.88 already in their 4xe?

I just joined so can't PM - send me a message with contact info for anyone interested.

I do want to reiterate ... Kevin said it was a "long-shot idea of tricking a sensor" and MAYBE fix the issue. But the only way he can program and test is with a 4xe that is already regeared.

Randy

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Finally got the 2.5” metalcloak lift put on my 4XE. I went with Fox 2.0 shocks, and 37” Baja Boss on Method 703s. So far I’m very happy with how it turned out.
Automotive parking light Sky Wheel Tire Vehicle

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Car

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Sky Land vehicle Car

Tire Wheel Sky Automotive parking light Car

Tire Wheel Sky Cloud Vehicle

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
1,223 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Flexing the new suspension out on the trail
Looks awesome! You do any driveshaft mod??
I have not swapped out the factory driveshafts for new driveshafts yet. I’m keeping the stock driveshafts on until they’re busted, which shouldn’t take long with the type of wheeling I do 😂

·
Registered
258 Posts
Well it looks like I still can't jump to tons with gears for 40's. Getting impatient...

I decided to get working on her a bit... I'll call it stage 1.5...

Mock up
Wood Gas Machine Electrical supply Metal

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Hood Trunk

Blue Hood Motor vehicle Trunk Bag

Custom touches and paint. I'll be getting the sting grey mopar rattle can soon. This grey isn't very close.
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive tire Gas Bumper

Motor vehicle Aircraft Automotive exterior Gas Aviation

Hood Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior Automotive tire

Final fit and finish
Tire Vehicle Wheel Car Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive lighting

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

37's fit great in the trunk. 40's will require taking the tailgate panel out. Meh.

Trail gear beadlocks coming soon. Dam tax return was over 11k thanks to the rebate... I got back every dollar I paid in federal taxes! Hell yeah! $7500 rebate rules.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Well it looks like I still can't jump to tons with gears for 40's. Getting impatient...

I decided to get working on her a bit... I'll call it stage 1.5...

Mock up
View attachment 4580
View attachment 4583
View attachment 4584

Custom touches and paint. I'll be getting the sting grey mopar rattle can soon. This grey isn't very close.
View attachment 4587
View attachment 4586
View attachment 4585

Final fit and finish
View attachment 4590
View attachment 4588
View attachment 4589

37's fit great in the trunk. 40's will require taking the tailgate panel out. Meh.

Trail gear beadlocks coming soon. Dam tax return was over 11k thanks to the rebate... I got back every dollar I paid in federal taxes! Hell yeah! $7500 rebate rules.
Jeep looks awesome!

What other mods have you done?

Man, I don’t understand why Jeep put this lame hard code in the 4XE to prohibit gear swaps.

I’m seriously looking at D60s with 40s, but now we have to wait until an aftermarket company figures out a way to bypass the hard code before I can pull the trigger on new axles and bigger tires.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Thanks man!

I did the license plate relocation as well. Should get some images posted up soon.

So far...
3.5 inch lift
37's
Spare tire carrier
License plate relocation
Stripped the front bumper skids
Spiderweb shade

Next up...
Fender chop
Slim drl mod
Trailgear beadlocks
Front and rear bumpers
Rockers
Winch
Gmrs radio [already have the FCC license]
Sway bar flip [probably this weekend]

Back burner...
Tons
40's
Coilovers
3 link long arm front [got a local SoCal guy that can do it]

·
Registered
258 Posts
It occurs to me that there are at least 2 work around options. Probably more...

Narrative...
When regeared the drivetrain sensor outputs don't match the PCM expected values [cannot be changed ATM]. To the best of my knowledge there are 5 tone rings that measure speed [for this discussion] . 1 in the transfer case or transmission and 4 at the wheel hubs 1 placed at each corner.

The tone ring pickup measures speed and turns it into a variable frequency increasing with rotation speed.

Since the transfer case tone ring is before the differentials it's output wouldn't be affected by a regear. The wheel hubs however are after the ring and pinion. Therefore after a regear the wheel hubs now report a different and now [out of range] speed or frequency.

1. Tone ring tooth count at the wheel hubs and or transfer case. Modifying the tooth count could bring the values back into range expected by the PCM.

2. Use a raspberry pi to intercept the wheel hub tone ring frequency and report a corrected value back onto the canbus.

3. Petition Mopar to allow for regear up to 5.38 this would be the lowest ratio possible for a Dana 44 and anything lower is not particularly worthwhile.

Both options 1 and 2 would not correct the speedo but I believe the JL tazer could be used to change the tire size and perhaps get close. I personally don't care if it is off. A GPS speedo is ok with me.

Option 2 could be particularly unstable but super easy to install as all you would need to do is create a daughter board capable of adding input and output connectors (for vehicle plugs) and writing the code capable of translating corrected frequency.

That being said... the raspberry pi could crash or a loss of power (to the raspberry pi) could cause the PCM to freak out and might shut down systems or the whole vehicle.

Whereas option 1 will always be stable just like the OEM design. Replacing tone rings is a PITA but entirely doable.

Hell, even limited to 5.13 gears gets us pretty close. For stock at 4.11 that's 4.1 rotations of the driveshaft for every 1 rotation of the wheel. 5.13 would be really close to 1 complete additional driveshaft rotation.

Both routes could very well be a marketable item... I would be inclined to pay up to $2500 in additional costs to get my tons and 40's.

Of course there are additional costs to add steering assist, driveshafts, new wheels, yada yada yada.

Any additional thoughts or comments?
What would you be willing to live with or pay to get your tons?

My $.02 I yield the floor...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
It occurs to me that there are at least 2 work around options. Probably more...

Narrative...
When regeared the drivetrain sensor outputs don't match the PCM expected values [cannot be changed ATM]. To the best of my knowledge there are 5 tone rings that measure speed [for this discussion] . 1 in the transfer case or transmission and 4 at the wheel hubs 1 placed at each corner.

The tone ring pickup measures speed and turns it into a variable frequency increasing with rotation speed.

Since the transfer case tone ring is before the differentials it's output wouldn't be affected by a regear. The wheel hubs however are after the ring and pinion. Therefore after a regear the wheel hubs now report a different and now [out of range] speed or frequency.

1. Tone ring tooth count at the wheel hubs and or transfer case. Modifying the tooth count could bring the values back into range expected by the PCM.

2. Use a raspberry pi to intercept the wheel hub tone ring frequency and report a corrected value back onto the canbus.

3. Petition Mopar to allow for regear up to 5.38 this would be the lowest ratio possible for a Dana 44 and anything lower is not particularly worthwhile.

Both options 1 and 2 would not correct the speedo but I believe the JL tazer could be used to change the tire size and perhaps get close. I personally don't care if it is off. A GPS speedo is ok with me.

Option 2 could be particularly unstable but super easy to install as all you would need to do is create a daughter board capable of adding input and output connectors (for vehicle plugs) and writing the code capable of translating corrected frequency.

That being said... the raspberry pi could crash or a loss of power (to the raspberry pi) could cause the PCM to freak out and might shut down systems or the whole vehicle.

Whereas option 1 will always be stable just like the OEM design. Replacing tone rings is a PITA but entirely doable.

Hell, even limited to 5.13 gears gets us pretty close. For stock at 4.11 that's 4.1 rotations of the driveshaft for every 1 rotation of the wheel. 5.13 would be really close to 1 complete additional driveshaft rotation.

Both routes could very well be a marketable item... I would be inclined to pay up to $2500 in additional costs to get my tons and 40's.

Of course there are additional costs to add steering assist, driveshafts, new wheels, yada yada yada.

Any additional thoughts or comments?
What would you be willing to live with or pay to get your tons?

My $.02 I yield the floor...
Option 3…Mopar/Jeep should deactivate the code in the PCM that prohibits re-gearing the 4XE. To my knowledge, all the other Wrangler trims do not have a hard code blocking owners from properly re-gearing their Jeeps to accommodate larger tires. So why did Jeep do this to the 4XE?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Typically these things are done for a reason... this being an oversight is possible but unlikely.

Something like torque vs weight vs axle strength. Before you say but wait the hemi JL has no limit, it also does not have the 4:1 transfer case! Not apples to apples.

This may have to wait for the aftermarket...

·
Registered
258 Posts
Ya... I'm only 6 hours into an +8 week lead time... my patience isn't what it used to be...

Gearing up for a summer wheel on John Bull!

21 - 40 of 72 Posts