Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
So I'm just checking in on this thread as I haven't been on it in awhile b/c there haven't been any new developments on the regear issue. I have started a conversation with FCA/Stellantis on the limit they have built in to the brain on the 4xe's. Alexander with the Stellantis Customer Care team seems to be sympathetic to the issue. He has sent my correspondence to one of his (top) mangers and I'm hoping there's an easy fix and that it won't just be brushed off.

Since these Jeeps have the potential to be some of the most capable wheelers that have hit the highway with the lower CG and instant torque I think it would be crazy to hobble these with a stupid coding problem. I could see their sales numbers getting hit hard if the off-road guys turned their backs to the 4xe. I'm sure the R&D on these were extensive and not cheap. Hope they make it right soon.
I want to help on this. I have the same issue. What do you recommend that I do here?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would assume it's some kind of mistake. I can't imagine Jeep would do anything to stop people from modifying their vehicles. Aside from emissions related things that would get them in trouble. Would be crazy to disturb their aftermarket potential.
I happen to be a lawyer and I can think of a bunch of things that weigh the other way. There was never any disclaimer that said re-gearing was impossible when I bought the rig. Nor was there any information that said that if you did it (presuming you had knowledge that the 4xe was hobbled and the other models were not) that you would lose and and traction control, which is itself, not the most safe. I would have gone with a regular Rubi if it was going to be impossible to re-gear my current rig.

·
Registered
2022 Rubicon 4xe
913 Posts
I won't hold your occupation against you... I think you're overthinking it. Or at least i hope you are. While you're not wrong I'm hoping it isn't an intentional change. Or, if it is, that it's something like the electric motors wouldn't be able to handle the gearing for whatever reason. Although, mechanically, i can't think of a reason they wouldn't be able to. And i think traction control really just needs to know tire size and have wheel speed sensor input - i don't think it's too complicated.

I happen to be a lawyer and I can think of a bunch of things that weigh the other way. There was never any disclaimer that said re-gearing was impossible when I bought the rig. Nor was there any information that said that if you did it (presuming you had knowledge that the 4xe was hobbled and the other models were not) that you would lose and and traction control, which is itself, not the most safe. I would have gone with a regular Rubi if it was going to be impossible to re-gear my current rig.

·
Registered
2021 4xe Rubicon sting grey
258 Posts
So a class action suit? This reminds me of the Ford mustang track pack class action where the vehicle overheats due to lack of oil cooler available as a separate option.

Class action suits get their attention pretty quickly...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I replaced the Mopar lift with a Metalcloak 3.5 a few weeks ago. Now the 37's look undersized. I can't find 38s, or the KM3s in 39, so I am going to take a risk and do 40s - Mickey Thompson MT's.

I called AEV yesterday and they don't have a timeline on their re-gear solution. I am going to try to get through with a dealership and see if I can get anyone's attention at Jeep to get a software solution. To me it feels like we would need to agree that we would lose some of our warranty if we got a Jeep solution. I am fine with that outcome. It is insane that we have no stability, ABS, traction control, regen, cruise control all because Jeep hobbled the ECU. It is also alarming that no one anywhere seems to be able to program a solution or offer anything to resolve the situation.

To me, the 4XE is a sign of the times, and people will modify them with increasing frequency in the future. Jeep knows many of them will be more heavily modified and as such, it must know that it deprived owners of value by including a specific software issue to limit the diff gears to 4.50. That limit doesn't make sense since you can't even get a 4.50 gear set.

·
Registered
21 JLURe
90 Posts
I replaced the Mopar lift with a Metalcloak 3.5 a few weeks ago. Now the 37's look undersized. I can't find 38s, or the KM3s in 39, so I am going to take a risk and do 40s - Mickey Thompson MT's.

I called AEV yesterday and they don't have a timeline on their re-gear solution. I am going to try to get through with a dealership and see if I can get anyone's attention at Jeep to get a software solution. To me it feels like we would need to agree that we would lose some of our warranty if we got a Jeep solution. I am fine with that outcome. It is insane that we have no stability, ABS, traction control, regen, cruise control all because Jeep hobbled the ECU. It is also alarming that no one anywhere seems to be able to program a solution or offer anything to resolve the situation.

To me, the 4XE is a sign of the times, and people will modify them with increasing frequency in the future. Jeep knows many of them will be more heavily modified and as such, it must know that it deprived owners of value by including a specific software issue to limit the diff gears to 4.50. That limit doesn't make sense since you can't even get a 4.50 gear set.
At some point, is the answer to stop thinking software, and think hardware?

Assuming the issue is the hub mounted speed sensors seeing different output than the computer expects, it may be easier to just adjust that sensor output. Something like adjust the sensor to accommodate the gearing (so 4.88s from 4.10s, the sensors would need to see 20% increase) , adjust the tire size to accommodate the sensor adjustment and the tire size.(so 40s from 33s, +21% for tires -20% for sensor, ). Tried to figure the math quickly, probably did it wrong.

I'm sure it's unlikely a reputable manufacturer would take on the liability to sell the device (Dakota Digital specifically clarifies their devices should not be used for ABS adjustment), but something like:
EDIT, or maybe just modified ABS Tone Rings?

·
Registered
312 Posts
i don’t understand why anybody wants a regear for a jeep that has 475ft lbs of torque, that has the same gearing as a jeep with 300ft lbs of torque

do you actually do the math on how necessary it is or do you just do it because thats what people do when they upgrade tires.

·
Registered
21 JLURe
90 Posts
i don’t understand why anybody wants a regear for a jeep that has 475ft lbs of torque, that has the same gearing as a jeep with 300ft lbs of torque

do you actually do the math on how necessary it is or do you just do it because thats what people do when they upgrade tires.
Cause a fast brick is more fun than a kinda fast brick?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Cause a fast brick is more fun than a kinda fast brick?
I’m not sure it would be slower, 4xe first gear is too short imo. At least it feels like it is with 4.10’s and 33’s.

My sierra has the same torque and is heavier than the 4xe, it hauls the mail with 3.42’s.

if you already did the tire upgrade without the diffs and it feels slower then I’m wrong

·
Registered
21 JLURe
90 Posts
I’m not sure it would be slower, 4xe first gear is too short imo. At least it feels like it is with 4.10’s and 33’s.

My sierra has the same torque and is heavier than the 4xe, it hauls the mail with 3.42’s.

if you already did the tire upgrade without the diffs and it feels slower then I’m wrong
I'm on 37s with stock gearing. I'm not a super aggressive driver, and, although there was noticeable impact, I think most would find the drivability fine with the 4.10s. Would be nice to get the crawl ratio down.

I don't plan on regearing now, really I'd prefer keeping the stronger 4.10s.

EDIT: I'd also add, the Jeep is quicker to fire up the ICE in hybrid mode now, even when it really isn't necessary/requested.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have stock 3.73 gearing on HA with 37” all terrain tires. Plenty of power. Does freeway in electric. With gas only vehicle does not go into 8th gear until 70mph. (61mph on my dash)
I did not spend the $250 for service plan to adjust speedometer. Vehicle is traveling 15% faster than shown on display. I haven’t found a reason yet to pay for adjustment.
I do not intend to do any serious off road driving so crawl ratio isn’t important to me.
I highly recommend 2” Mopar lift and 37” tires on stock wheels. Tires stay under vehicle and total height increase is almost 6” in front and 5.25” in rear. Looks awesome and drives great.

·
Registered
2021 4xe Rubicon sting grey
258 Posts
I

Regearing is deliberate. This is done for 2 reasons.

1. Bring the crawl ratio back down
2. Get closer to stock final drive ratio

Just because we have enough horsepower to not regear is an invalid argument.

For me #1 is critical. I have the 4:1 tcase, after 37's it's faster than I like in 4lo. Plus my beadlocks are heavy.

Others may prefer to get the final drive ratio back for mileage.

Some jeep owners wheel their whips. Others use as a dd. Both benefit from regear at 37's ideally 4:88... I'd prefer 5:13

61 - 72 of 72 Posts