Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most of my 4xe driving is short and mostly electric, but occasionally I'm going to want to go for a longer road trip? Has anyone tried this yet and seen what your real world full charge+ full tank range is? Jeep talks about a 370 mile range, but my gas range is only reporting to be around 250 miles. Even if I add the 20-25 electric miles, that's only 270-275, 100 miles short of their claims. Am I missing something? Had anyone gotten 345-350 miles in gas?

·
Registered
32 Posts
You’re right the estimates have been reading pretty low. I just did a MPG test and got 30MPG so with that and the tank capacity it seems feasible, but the estimates def give me reason to doubt that. But I’m up for doing that test!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah the mpg estimate the jeep tells you is a gas) electric combo. There doesn't appear to be a true gas mpg estimate in the display. On my first fill up when I divided the reported gas miles by gallons added I was only getting around 16-17mpg, but I'm in a very hilly area. I hope the improves as the engine breaks in.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yeah the mpg estimate the jeep tells you is a gas) electric combo. There doesn't appear to be a true gas mpg estimate in the display. On my first fill up when I divided the reported gas miles by gallons added I was only getting around 16-17mpg, but I'm in a very hilly area. I hope the improves as the engine breaks in.
well - I will be driving all over in one this summer... so I can report back on it. But I don't start for another few weeks. I'll be loaded down and have extra fuel (somehow - still figuring that out) as not only will I see both US Coasts, I will be going from the Southern US back up through Canada and into Alaska... I bet for a a few weeks I may have more miles on a 4XE then 95% of all of them out there.

·
Registered
333 Posts
well - I will be driving all over in one this summer... so I can report back on it. But I don't start for another few weeks. I'll be loaded down and have extra fuel (somehow - still figuring that out) as not only will I see both US Coasts, I will be going from the Southern US back up through Canada and into Alaska... I bet for a a few weeks I may have more miles on a 4XE then 95% of all of them out there.
You should do a video blog on YouTube!

Someone reported 1000 miles. I've got 622 miles in 12 days. On second tank of gas with a little under 3/4 left, of which most of the second tank was used driving to go off roading. First tank had 200 miles back from the dealer.

I've actually been driving more just to stress test it after some issues were being reported.

Where in the south will you be?

·
Registered
28 Posts
My gas mileage has been around 16-17 MPG, when driving on gas. If you drive a lot on electric then the MPG the Jeep calculates goes up, but it costs me almost the same since a fill up of electric cost ~$2.45 by the time you factor in all the taxes and additional charges for electric. A gallon of gas is ~$2.74.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The real answer I'm trying to figure out ishow far can you go between gas fill ups on a long road trip. Jeep said 370 me range, but it's looking to me that the gas range is closer to 270-290, so closer to only 300 miles if you had a full battery charge too.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I would agree. I'm not doing a long road trip until June but if you were planning to be remote I would plan for the low side. Especially with extra weight. Speed is also a huge factor given the poor aerodynamics.

I've seen real time MPG readings range from 21 to 24 MPG with the engine running on the highway. But I don't know how truthful that reading is. At the time I was manually shifting around to vary the RPM for break in. I was also sticking to speed limit (or speed limit +4 when there was traffic), which was between 50 to 69 MPH. Getting over 70 it was dipping to 19 to 20 mpg as per computer.

Given the past week of my normal driving I would be looking at a 1000 to 1600 mile range.

·
Registered
43 Posts
You should do a video blog on YouTube!

Someone reported 1000 miles. I've got 622 miles in 12 days. On second tank of gas with a little under 3/4 left, of which most of the second tank was used driving to go off roading. First tank had 200 miles back from the dealer.

I've actually been driving more just to stress test it after some issues were being reported.

Where in the south will you be?
Picking it up in Vegas. Most of my stops are at that latitude or higher up. I'm not really a vlogger or I would.

I'm not really planning on being able to do a lot of charging on this trip. I will if I can though. Our volt even after a similar drive in 2014 still averaged over 100mpg over the 30k miles or so I had it. The 800 miles a day of driving there isn't a lot of time to fill the battery up.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have only burned two tanks of gas through the Jeep. Both trips started out with full electrical charge. I have a Rubicon, so I have a 4.10 rear axle and bigger tires. I got 19.2 mpg from these two tanks. Some caveats, mileage will be getting a little better (0.5 mpg, maybe0 as the engine breaks in and both tripa were to Phoenix from Prescott. So plenty of up and down mountains in the drive. 200 mikes round trip. both involved a climb from 900’ to 5200’. You should expect to get better mileage on flatter ground.
‘My mileage was 19.2 mpg, a mix of highway nd city, including the electric charge. I got 16.2 gallons into the gas tank, didn’t want to run out.
‘So for me, range on a full electrical charge and a full tank of gas, about 311 miles.
BTW, for those who know IH17 in that area, when I got to the Sunset Point Rest area, the start of the steep downhill, I was on <1% Battery left and on full Regen. I coasted on full Regen as much as I could. When I got to the bottom of the mountain, I was still on <1% battery reading So I must have recharged that portion of the battery between 15kW and 17.3kW. I was On hybrid mode during the trips.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I currently drive the 19 Rubicon 4cyl turbo waiting for my 4xe to be built. So I can really only comment on the motor. First I felt like it took closer to 10k miles to really break in and getting better miles. Also my MPG is really sensitive to lower quality gas. We have a lot of ethanol gas in my area which hurts performance. So find good gas and with engine break in, MPG should improve beyond 0.5 MPG. Maybe closer to 3-4 MPG more with break in.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The real answer I'm trying to figure out ishow far can you go between gas fill ups on a long road trip. Jeep said 370 me range, but it's looking to me that the gas range is closer to 270-290, so closer to only 300 miles if you had a full battery charge too.
So I’m on a road trip right now and shooting a video on this exact question. At the start I had a full tank and full charge and stopped to fill up after 350 miles and the range estimator said I still had 68 miles of range. I filled up again and didn’t have a full charge and stopped for my next fuel stop after 245 miles and had a reported 51 miles remaining. Seems like those first miles with the full battery and in hybrid mode are the make or break miles for max range.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmm, that's really interesting that the full charge seemed to make way difference that the 21-25 miles the first time.

·
Registered
333 Posts
So I’m on a road trip right now and shooting a video on this exact question. At the start I had a full tank and full charge and stopped to fill up after 350 miles and the range estimator said I still had 68 miles of range. I filled up again and didn’t have a full charge and stopped for my next fuel stop after 245 miles and had a reported 51 miles remaining. Seems like those first miles with the full battery and in hybrid mode are the make or break miles for max range.
I know you are dealing with a CEL now but that initial range was crazy for one charge. Was that all highway?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hmm, that's really interesting that the full charge seemed to make way difference that the 21-25 miles the first time.
So before this road trip I had done a lot of city and noticed that in Hybrid mode it pretty much burns all the battery immediately and then just leaves you with engine. On this trip I noticed that it had a more balanced attack and didn’t just burn all the battery. Instead it seemed to do more of an electrical “fill” and used the battery pretty efficiently until it was out. I’m also noticing the engine getting better mileage as it breaks in.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts