Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4xe Rubicon, just added new 17x9 wheels with offset 0 / backspacing 5. Replaced 33” BFG KO2s with 35”Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T (35x12.5x17).

I plan on 70% on road, 30% off-road

Tires feel more planted than the KO2s, but they are louder and a bit rougher ride. But I can tell they will be better in the dirt.
No rubbing on the pavement so far.

Here is where I need guidance. I am not loving the look of the tires sticking out past the fenders. (At least 1”) And the jeep looks/feels like it needs a lift.

So what should I do?
  • get 2” mopar lift with fox shocks? Or will this be too much and then I will wish I had 37” tires
  • get 1” spacer lift?
  • Or go back to stock wheels with 10-11.5 wide tires to keep them tucked.

Any comments or guidance appreciated. Just trying to figure out my options at this point to achieve the look I want.
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Land vehicle Automotive side marker light
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Land vehicle Automotive side marker light

Automotive side marker light Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have a 4xe Rubicon, just added new 17x9 wheels with offset 0 / backspacing 5. Replaced 33” BFG KO2s with 35”Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T (35x12.5x17).

I plan on 70% on road, 30% off-road

Tires feel more planted than the KO2s, but they are louder and a bit rougher ride. But I can tell they will be better in the dirt.
No rubbing on the pavement so far.

Here is where I need guidance. I am not loving the look of the tires sticking out past the fenders. (At least 1”) And the jeep looks/feels like it needs a lift.

So what should I do?
  • get 2” mopar lift with fox shocks? Or will this be too much and then I will wish I had 37” tires
  • get 1” spacer lift?
  • Or go back to stock wheels with 10-11.5 wide tires to keep them tucked.

Any comments or guidance appreciated. Just trying to figure out my options at this point to achieve the look I want. View attachment 3226 View attachment 3227
View attachment 3228
Personally I would go with the mopar lift. Check out ExtremeTerrain.com
The sell the mopar lift cheaper than the dealer. This way you know it’s a perfect fit!!! Great look Jeep!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Jeepster - you’re off to a great start. I have a very similar setup (exact same offset and tires), but I installed the Terra flex st1 lift and upgraded suspension (shocks, front LCAs). I think with that amount of offset a mild lift looks right. Let me know if you have any questions I’ve tinkered a lot with this…
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive parking light

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Personally I would go with the mopar lift. Check out ExtremeTerrain.com
The sell the mopar lift cheaper than the dealer. This way you know it’s a perfect fit!!! Great look Jeep!!
I am hearing the 2” Mopar Lift for the 4xe is only gaining about 1” over the stock Rubicon 4xe lift. Any insight to that?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jeepster - you’re off to a great start. I have a very similar setup (exact same offset and tires), but I installed the Terra flex st1 lift and upgraded suspension (shocks, front LCAs). I think with that amount of offset a mild lift looks right. Let me know if you have any questions I’ve tinkered a lot with this…
View attachment 3234
View attachment 3235
View attachment 3233
View attachment 3234
View attachment 3235
View attachment 3233
@Jwashburn - thank you for your reply. Love to see more pics from front, rear, side.

So would love more detail on your lift/suspension. Why tereflex over mopar? How many inches did you go? How many inches inches did you gain over the stock lift?

thanks again

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sure thing - I can get more pics when I’m home later.

I went with the Terraflex lift because of some negative things I read about the mopar lift: 1) people not getting advertised lift height 2) wanting adjustable lower control arms and 3) it appeared at least in a few instances people were having issues with springs bowing.

The st1 lift is a spacer lift that’s installed above the coils - so the lift amount is exactly what the spacer is. 2” in the front and 1.5” in the back. After I installed the bumper/winch it’s sitting at 1.5” front and back.

In addition to the coil spacers and longer bump stops that come in the st1 kit I used:
- terraflex lower control arms (caster set just shy of 7 degrees)
-fox 2.5 dsc’s tuned by accutune
-mopar extended sway bar end links

My goal with the build was to have a lot of control over the vehicle - on the road and off without it being harsh. One thing I have always noticed is that when the wheels get pushed out (lower offset) you need to compensate with more dampening because of the increased leverage the wheels and tires have.

I may at some point swap the springs out for longer springs once they are fine tuned for the 4xe weight…but I haven’t seen a need to for the off-roading I’ve done so far. When I installed the lift no lift manufacturers had released 4xe compatible lifts.

Let me know what other questions you have and I’ll get some additional pictures this evening.

·
Registered
2021, Jeep, Wrangler, Rubicon, 4xe
13 Posts
I am hearing the 2” Mopar Lift for the 4xe is only gaining about 1” over the stock Rubicon 4xe lift. Any insight to that?
I can verify the 1" lift from the Mopar kit on a 4xe Rubicon. I measured very carefully and saw 1" in front and 1.125" in back. I have no spring bow, and the kit was easy enough to install by myself in my overly crowded garage. The Fox shocks are a definite improvement over the stock units.

The Mopar lift isn't a complete waste of money, but if you only want 1", a spacer lift should work well enough. You might also consider replacing the LCA's with the longer parts from Mopar.

In my case, I read reports on the forums that the Mopar lift might not give the full 2" lift before ordering. The reports were inconsistent and many folks continued to include the extra ride height gained from larger diameter tires in the "lift" they achieved. I decided to take a chance, ordered the kit, installed it and found it to be short. For my current purposes and the mini-37's (the KO2's are about 35.5"diam) it's sufficient. I do get slight rubbing at extreme articulation. If I ever upgrade to a true 37, or find myself needing more articulation on a regular basis, I'll look at replacing the kit with one of the complete systems by MetalCloak, RockKrawler, etc.
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive side marker light

Automotive parking light Sky Wheel Tire Cloud

·
Registered
2021 Sahara 4xe
218 Posts
I can verify the 1" lift from the Mopar kit on a 4xe Rubicon. I measured very carefully and saw 1" in front and 1.125" in back. I have no spring bow, and the kit was easy enough to install by myself in my overly crowded garage. The Fox shocks are a definite improvement over the stock units.

The Mopar lift isn't a complete waste of money, but if you only want 1", a spacer lift should work well enough. You might also consider replacing the LCA's with the longer parts from Mopar.

In my case, I read reports on the forums that the Mopar lift might not give the full 2" lift before ordering. The reports were inconsistent and many folks continued to include the extra ride height gained from larger diameter tires in the "lift" they achieved. I decided to take a chance, ordered the kit, installed it and found it to be short. For my current purposes and the mini-37's (the KO2's are about 35.5"diam) it's sufficient. I do get slight rubbing at extreme articulation. If I ever upgrade to a true 37, or find myself needing more articulation on a regular basis, I'll look at replacing the kit with one of the complete systems by MetalCloak, RockKrawler, etc. View attachment 3308

View attachment 3309
Looks great. I should measure the Sahara and check the same. I’d heard that all the 4xe’s had the extra clearance to counter act the battery weight, but would be good to confirm.

Also…are all 4xe’s on Dana 44s by default? I noticed on my Sahara build details reference to M210/220 which seems to be the Dana 44 axles if I understand correctly. Are others seeing the same?

·
Registered
49 Posts

In my case, I read reports on the forums that the Mopar lift might not give the full 2" lift before ordering. The reports were inconsistent and many folks continued to include the extra ride height gained from larger diameter tires in the "lift" they achieved. I decided to take a chance, ordered the kit, installed it and found it to be short. For my current purposes and the mini-37's (the KO2's are about 35.5"diam) it's sufficient. I do get slight rubbing at extreme articulation. If I ever upgrade to a true 37, or find myself needing more articulation on a regular basis, I'll look at replacing the kit with one of the complete systems by MetalCloak, RockKrawler, etc.
Gazelle great set up! I think that looks perfect!!

·
Registered
2021, Jeep, Wrangler, Rubicon, 4xe
13 Posts
Looks great. I should measure the Sahara and check the same. I’d heard that all the 4xe’s had the extra clearance to counter act the battery weight, but would be good to confirm.

Also…are all 4xe’s on Dana 44s by default? I noticed on my Sahara build details reference to M210/220 which seems to be the Dana 44 axles if I understand correctly. Are others seeing the same?
Thanks, Naylia. I like the height with the current tires.

All 4xe's have the M210/M220's to account for the extra weight and torque. The 4xe axles also have CV joints due to the 4WD Auto mode.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Buyer beware on mopar lift. It is truly horrible and mopar and Jeep cares doesn’t support it. Mine lifted the Jeep .75” and then collapsed. Worst consumer experience ever. A few dealers wouldn’t even work on it, and there does not appear to be a supported warranty. It is a know issue, many folks have complained; and no money back or fix. It is truly a horrible product

·
Registered
51 Posts
Jwashburn-what valving did you go with on those Fox 2.5’s from Accutune? Adventure, dual sport or trail?
And what’s your main use?
Terrible one line descriptions until you click and read the learn more link. I’m leaning dual sport even though it’s an on road daily driver, but will be using it to explore the backroads of Colorado, not a hardcore crawler, thinking it’d be better with more on road control vs the softer Adventure valving geared toward on road but can go off-road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
REF4xe - I went with adventure valving and recommend it. You can always increase high and low speed compression with the DSC shocks if you want stiffer valving for off-road or carrying more weight. Even with the adventure valving there is lots of control.

I daily drive the vehicle, and go off road a few times per month. I’m in northern Virginia so when I’m off-road I’m in slow, rocky terrain. I suspect the higher valving setups from accutune have a place in higher speed desert type off-roading, but I really don’t know.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I installed my Jeep 4xE with Old Man Emu 4" BP-51 lift kit by ARB, The handling is amazing, these are High-Performance Shocks with Internal Bypass. And you can choose different springs for the additional weight of accessories.

I added a 35" Nitto Ridge Grappler and 22x12 Fuel Blitz Wheels

Highly Recommended!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
What wheels are you running? Really like them. I'm leaning toward Mopar lift, but it's backordered with no expected ETA. Our Rubicon's can take these BFG KO2 35's with no lift, no problem, right? Want to at least get these going before I can order the lift.

Also - how noticeable is the ride difference between 35's and the stock setup? Acceleration, cornering, ride?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts