Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I purchased a 2021 4xe Rubicon a few weeks ago and have an odd issue going on. It drives great when the battery has some life, but once it drops to <1 I start to experience what feels like the transmission slipping. It only happens when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear (pretty much from the stop position). The shift is very rough (pretty much slams into gear) and happens in both Hybrid and E-Save mode regardless if it's in 2WD, 4AUTO, H, L. It's currently in the shop being looked at and the techs are able to feel/experience what's happening, however they are at a loss on what to do. Currently they are opening a case with Chrysler. Has anyone experienced this too?

Mike

·
Registered
27 Posts
That happened to me once. I needed to accelerate quickly so I smashed the gas pedal and it went into gasoline engine mode. Tranny felt like it was slipping and the RPMs wasn't going past 2000. Happened only once and then never again.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I'd be curious what it did if you start from 2nd in manual.

My shifts so far are almost imperceptible.

·
Registered
264 Posts
That sounds like an odd case for sure. At the <1% state, there is still about 15% of the battery left so that makes me think one of those clutches on either side of the P2 motor is bad. I’m no mechanic but that sounds less like a transmission issue and more like one of the clutches. Since it shifts through the gears in both electric and hybrid mode, any slipping in the transmission would occur equally in both.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon Unlimited 4xe
2 Posts
I had similar symptoms. Took delivery and after it went to <1% it would make a loud clunk every time it went from electric to gas in hybrid mode under throttle. Has feeling and sound similar to drive shaft clunk but it's not that. Also would do same thing to a lesser degree sitting at light in drive with foot on brake. Felt like starter motor kicking in every 10 seconds. Shifting into neutral it would go away. Took it back to dealer. Based on factory Techline input, they drained battery, pulled fuse (rebooted), and recharged it to 100 percent. Put 500 miles on it from AZ to Los Angeles with no further issues to date. This vehicle has a March production date for reference. Software glitches should be expected.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had similar symptoms. Took delivery and after it went to <1% it would make a loud clunk every time it went from electric to gas in hybrid mode under throttle. Has feeling and sound similar to drive shaft clunk but it's not that. Also would do same thing to a lesser degree sitting at light in drive with foot on brake. Felt like starter motor kicking in every 10 seconds. Shifting into neutral it would go away. Took it back to dealer. Based on factory Techline input, they drained battery, pulled fuse (rebooted), and recharged it to 100 percent. Put 500 miles on it from AZ to Los Angeles with no further issues to date. This vehicle has a March production date for reference. Software glitches should be expected.
Thanks. That is exactly what is happening to mine. I've experienced the same idle issue too. I'll reference this when I talk to the dealership on tomorrow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That sounds like an odd case for sure. At the <1% state, there is still about 15% of the battery left so that makes me think one of those clutches on either side of the P2 motor is bad. I’m no mechanic but that sounds less like a transmission issue and more like one of the clutches. Since it shifts through the gears in both electric and hybrid mode, any slipping in the transmission would occur equally in both.
Thanks for the input. It seems odd it shifts fine when there is battery life left. Didn't realize there was 15% left even though it's displayed as <1%.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That happened to me once. I needed to accelerate quickly so I smashed the gas pedal and it went into gasoline engine mode. Tranny felt like it was slipping and the RPMs wasn't going past 2000. Happened only once and then never again.
Very odd. The service manager said my RPMs were running high as well. Thanks for the input

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks. That is exactly what is happening to mine. I've experienced the same idle issue too. I'll reference this when I talk to the dealership on tomorrow.
Just purchased my 4xe yesterday and I’m having this same idle issue. Any updates from your experience? Thanks!

·
Registered
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4xe
9 Posts
Hey all,

I purchased a 2021 4xe Rubicon a few weeks ago and have an odd issue going on. It drives great when the battery has some life, but once it drops to <1 I start to experience what feels like the transmission slipping. It only happens when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear (pretty much from the stop position). The shift is very rough (pretty much slams into gear) and happens in both Hybrid and E-Save mode regardless if it's in 2WD, 4AUTO, H, L. It's currently in the shop being looked at and the techs are able to feel/experience what's happening, however they are at a loss on what to do. Currently they are opening a case with Chrysler. Has anyone experienced this too?

Mike

My wife says hers is doing the same thing. The engine is running high rpm’s when shifting. I told her I need to take out for a day to understand more about when it’s doing this. Keep us posted if the service group finds resolution.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My wife says hers is doing the same thing. The engine is running high rpm’s when shifting. I told her I need to take out for a day to understand more about when it’s doing this. Keep us posted if the service group finds resolution.
Still waiting for a callback from the dealership. The service manager said the issue is with the techline. I told them how 'Backcountry Explorers' rectified the issue via Techline, however they can't do anything until they hear back from JCDR. The starter motor kicking in every 5-10 seconds has seemed to stop, however the high RPMs and rough shifting (1st to 2nd) still exists.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Still waiting for a callback from the dealership. The service manager said the issue is with the techline. I told them how 'Backcountry Explorers' rectified the issue via Techline, however they can't do anything until they hear back from JCDR. The starter motor kicking in every 5-10 seconds has seemed to stop, however the high RPMs and rough shifting (1st to 2nd) still exists.
I checked the fuses and over half of them weren’t seated fully.
  • check your fuse box (right side in front of the passenger seat)
  • let battery run down to <1
  • charge to 100%

My idle issue is gone, mpg is improved. Haven’t gotten down to under 1% batter to verify jerky shifting from 1st to 2nd. But I’ll share when I verify!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I checked the fuses and over half of them weren’t seated fully.
  • check your fuse box (right side in front of the passenger seat)
  • let battery run down to <1
  • charge to 100%

My idle issue is gone, mpg is improved. Haven’t gotten down to under 1% batter to verify jerky shifting from 1st to 2nd. But I’ll share when I verify!
Jerky shifting from 1st to 2nd is also gone. Try the steps above to see if you issue is resolved. The parking assist lines are also back on the back up camera since doing this!

·
Registered
610 Posts
Jerky shifting from 1st to 2nd is also gone. Try the steps above to see if you issue is resolved. The parking assist lines are also back on the back up camera since doing this!
I'll be a pessimist on the backup lines. Speculation is that it's a software issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Day two of ownership and finally ran the batter down to <1. The 1-2 shift takes forever. Thought it was something we did wrong. Until finding this forum. Seems software related. Any word back from dealership?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Day two of ownership and finally ran the batter down to <1. The 1-2 shift takes forever. Thought it was something we did wrong. Until finding this forum. Seems software related. Any word back from dealership?
Since checking my fuse box and fully seating over half of my fuses, I’ve had zero issues. After you seat them, let your 4xe get down to <1% and charge it back up to 100%. I did not see an immediate difference after seating the fuses, I had to charge it fully first.

Prior to doing this, I was getting a strange revving when sitting idle - sounded like it was switching between the gas and electric engines every few seconds and very jerky shifting from 1st to 2nd after getting to <1%. Since seating all of my fuses, the only issue I have is the guide lines disappearing from the backup cam.

Give it a shot! Hope this helps. 500 miles later and I’ve had no issues 👍🏽👍🏽

·
Registered
17 Posts
I experienced this (even have video of it) -- at <1% and at a stop in drive, it would 'clunk' and the vehicle would literally torque. This would happen as long as I sat there. This only happened with <200 miles on the odometer, and it happened 2-3 times. I made a service appt, but by the time my appt rolled around a week later this stopped happening. Weirded me out tho.

·
Registered
610 Posts
The hybrid engine will operate in different ways than a traditional engine. Sometimes the RMPs remain constant and higher or appear to hang. You can be accelerating or stopping with an elevated and constant RPM. I think the engine may actually be disconnected from the transmission. Could that be what you are feeling?

All the above is just speculation on my part from what I've noticed. It's like it takes advantage of warmup or low engine loads to charge the battery.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts