Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Twice now, I have been traveling at about 55 to 70 mph on a highway or freeway (both times I was climbing a hill at the time of the failure) when the Jeep has lost power and I have to pull over and shift the Jeep into Park and restart. The dashboard lights up like a Christmas tree and the D is flashing. Each time I was in hybrid mode.

The first time it happened was around 6,500 miles while traveling uphill on I-90 in Montana. I managed to coast to the shoulder and was able to put the Jeep into Park and turn off the ignition. When I started back up the problem cleared itself. Took it to the dealer and they said they had never heard of this happening. They completed software updates and replaced the JL PHEV HV cable connector seal and called it good.

This last time it happened was just shy of 14,000 miles while traveling uphill on a very narrow Baja road with no shoulder at about 55 to 60 mph. It was a bit hairy trying to find a place to safely stop, put it back in Park, turn off and restart before the semi coming up behind us turned us into a grease spot on the road.

I have an appointment coming up with my dealer. Anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
2021, Jeep, Wrangler, Rubicon, 4xe
13 Posts
Mine did this on Tuesday while driving on my way to work. Hybrid mode, electric power, about 25MPH, full gas tank, 83% battery, ACC not active. It felt like the transmission dropped into first, the IC engine kicked on, a loud whurring sound (like a cavitating pump) came from somewhere under or behind me, and the display lit up with a multitude of error messages.

Restarting was ultimately unsuccessful despite being able to get the engine on, twice, but it would lock up within 1-2ft of movement. After about 4 tries, it stopped re-starting. I checked fuses and even pulled the negative battery terminal in an attempt to reset the computers. I was able to move the gear selector into Park, but the display continued to show D3. I eventually pulled the transmission release cable and pushed it to a safe parking spot.

My Jeep is at the dealership now, so I'm looking for clues or solutions. I hope you can get yours fixed without any further issues, pkm0822.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Twice now, I have been traveling at about 55 to 70 mph on a highway or freeway (both times I was climbing a hill at the time of the failure) when the Jeep has lost power and I have to pull over and shift the Jeep into Park and restart. The dashboard lights up like a Christmas tree and the D is flashing. Each time I was in hybrid mode.

The first time it happened was around 6,500 miles while traveling uphill on I-90 in Montana. I managed to coast to the shoulder and was able to put the Jeep into Park and turn off the ignition. When I started back up the problem cleared itself. Took it to the dealer and they said they had never heard of this happening. They completed software updates and replaced the JL PHEV HV cable connector seal and called it good.

This last time it happened was just shy of 14,000 miles while traveling uphill on a very narrow Baja road with no shoulder at about 55 to 60 mph. It was a bit hairy trying to find a place to safely stop, put it back in Park, turn off and restart before the semi coming up behind us turned us into a grease spot on the road.

I have an appointment coming up with my dealer. Anyone else have this issue?
So you were still able to drive it? Mine was first driveable but then I ultimately had to have it towed. Been in shop since Oct 27. They replaced wiring harness and they think that will help. I’ll keep everyone posted if I get it back.

·
Registered
901 Posts
There is the random shutdown on the highway that's part of normal operations.

Then there are those that happen from more serious issues.

Op seems to be getting it uphill on the highway. Montana hills can be steep with fast traffic.

@pkm0822, did you have Max Regen on? I'm trying to figure out what about driving on the highway makes these Wranglers turn off so often.

Did the service department provide codes that were logged? For me the TCU (transmission computer) told the ECU (engine computer) to turn off. Jeep nor the service department seemed to know why.

I think it's just bad control systems software.

·
Registered
168 Posts

Op seems to be getting it uphill on the highway. Montana hills can be steep with fast traffic.

@pkm0822, did you have Max Regen on? I'm trying to figure out what about driving on the highway makes these Wranglers turn off so often.

Did the service department provide codes that were logged? For me the TCU (transmission computer) told the ECU (engine computer) to turn off. Jeep nor the service department seemed to know why.

Given the number of these reports vs the low number of these vehicles currently on the road, it’s a real problem. It would be nice of JEep to figure it out and put out the fix.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sadly, many of these "it just shut down" posts are from first time posters. Never seen anything like this with any other car forum - ever - where there are so many first posters with a supposed deadly problem. Just not sure what to think here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Given the number of these reports vs the low number of these vehicles currently on the road, it’s a real problem. It would be nice of JEep to figure it out and put out the fix.
With the amount of problems reported with the Wrangler 4xe - this one being one of the primary examples - it is quite astonishing that Jeep still hasn't collected enough data to solve this serious issue, especially since it's been going on for almost a year? As pointed out in other forum threads as well: This defect could potentially put your life in danger.

In a lot of reported cases on the forum I see @JeepCares asking for more info via DM, which is good, but how is all this information being managed? What has it led to? The way I see it - and please excuse me for being somewhat harsh - we see the same problems with factory new vehicles today as we did ~1 year ago. I really don't understand how this is even possible and would kindly like an explanation. Care to comment @JeepCares ? Or anyone else for that matter...

·
Registered
901 Posts
Sadly, many of these "it just shut down" posts are from first time posters. Never seen anything like this with any other car forum - ever - where there are so many first posters with a supposed deadly problem. Just not sure what to think here.
I had hundreds of posts on here before I got it. I even reported first on the JL Wrangler forum first since most of the posts here were on the negative/problem side.

In this thread's case I'm curious if the OP was giving it hard throttle when regen braking may have been in progress. Like let off the pedal for a second and then give more throttle. Many of these cases seem to happen in heavy/fast traffic. Montana driving can get crazy.

But there is a bit of noise as legit failures happen outside of the "random shutdown for no reason".

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, new to the form as well. I had this same issue when going to work this morning, jeep turned off got a message to service the hyrbid system. I was using the cruise control and I did have the regen on and was in all electric mode. This happened right after going up a large hill/mountain pass. My error code (CEL) was (P0CA6). I have made a form post and will post updates from my service dep as they come.

·
Registered
2021 Sahara Unlimited 4xe
94 Posts
Of all the issues posted with this model the sudden shutting down is by far the most disastrous, 95% of my driving is in town, by myself under 45mph so I’m overly concerned but I can’t imagine letting my teenage daughter drive this jeep or having my family going on the interstate. Not sure what it’s going to take for jeep to take this serious.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Of all the issues posted with this model the sudden shutting down is by far the most disastrous, 95% of my driving is in town, by myself under 45mph so I’m overly concerned but I can’t imagine letting my teenage daughter drive this jeep or having my family going on the interstate. Not sure what it’s going to take for jeep to take this serious.
They may be, it's just been quiet.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Hello, new to the form as well. I had this same issue when going to work this morning, jeep turned off got a message to service the hyrbid system. I was using the cruise control and I did have the regen on and was in all electric mode. This happened right after going up a large hill/mountain pass. My error code (CEL) was (P0CA6). I have made a form post and will post updates from my service dep as they come.
Only thing I can find on that is a generic hybrid code for "Hybrid battery system - charging current too high"

·
Registered
| 2012 JKU Sahara | 2021 4xe Sahara |
159 Posts
Only thing I can find on that is a generic hybrid code for "Hybrid battery system - charging current too high"
There’s also this, the programmed response to that error code, picture taken from the training manual for the Subaru crosstrek phev specifically but they seem to share hybrid codes across makers for the most part:

Font Line Parallel Rectangle Pattern
Font Technology Screenshot Rectangle Number

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So you were still able to drive it? Mine was first driveable but then I ultimately had to have it towed. Been in shop since Oct 27. They replaced wiring harness and they think that will help. I’ll keep everyone posted if I get it back.
Yes, both times it started right back up. I had about 7,000 miles between incidents.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Yes, Max Regan was on. And no, I didn't get a code from the service department. The service department had never heard of this happening.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts