Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner

4xe stuck at 98% charge.

9K views 31 replies 15 participants last post by  michail 
#1 ·
Anyone else having issue with charging. It has happened with level 1 and level 2 charger. I get it can take longer but burning through electricity at home is not saving on gas.

#6 ·
Mine shows 99% after being plugged in all night with a level 1, still waiting on my chargepoint to arrive. Seems the state of charge % is linked to the battery display incorrectly showing 1% when things are depleted, but it really has more like 15% in reserve.
Sort of seems like FCA should have just had the display report the actual numbers instead of this false algorithm, then just go into a battery reserve mode at 15%.
Kinda reminds me of VW with dieselgate, I had a 2010 Golf TDI, great little car, but in the end I couldn’t refuse their buyback offer, and I didn’t want to loose the performance by them re-flashing the ECU, I know it wouldn’t have effected it all that much, but all the same I took the $…..The most unfortunate and ironic thing about the TDI’s wasn’t the emissions it was actually putting out, but the unobtainable and skewed emissions standards that are in place that needed to be cheated in order to show us it’s possible to make a small, peppy, economical and at the same time, fun to drive diesel auto. Anyway, rant over…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 · (Edited)
the 4xe has a 400-volt, 17-kWh, 96-cell Samsung lithium ion battery pack . if we do the math to 98% total charge. 95 cell divided to 96 cells = 99%, 94 cells div to 96 cells = 98%.
so it can be 1 or 2 bad cells or 96 cells with less then 100%. each. or the jeep computer counts wrong. or the charger gives to less power at the end of charge to the jeep and the 4xe just says "thanks i'm full, see you later" and cuts off the charger.

forget the battery, the jeep will always show 100% even if the total capacity is reduced.

#9 ·
Perhaps, problem is it was still trying to charge all night. Woke up this morning after plugging it in at midnight to see the charging dash lights still on. So basically I wasted a lot of electricity and I am not sure why it didn’t charge to 100%. First time it has happened, experimenting more today.

#25 ·
I don’t have my 4xe yet, but I would guess this is the answer…on all of my modern vehicles—motorcycles and cars/SUVs from BMW, Jaguar, Jeep, etc. the best you can can hope for on onboard instrumentation is accuracy within maybe 5% or so when it comes to speed/mileage/tire pressures/oil levels/whatever. It drives the OCD part of me a little nuts, but it’s a nearly universal phenomenon.

#23 ·
I've seen some odd things up 98%+

The last bit of charging time can vary and sometimes my battery will be less than 100% after it shuts off.

I have a smart charger now, so it's interesting to get the graphs and see what's going on with those last few percentage points near full charge.

#26 ·
Thanks for all of the replies. My reason for the question is that after getting stuck at the 98% for over 20 hours it seems to be still trying to charge and then of course drawing more electricity. I must unplug, wait and replug to finish the last 2% of the battery.

#29 ·
I would assume that is not drawing electricity once it stops at 98%. If it were and it weren't charging that energy would have to go somewhere. It would wind up being dissipated as heat. That much heat in a lithium battery would easily cause thermal runaway. Which, in turn, would ignite anything near, or above, the vehicle as the vehicle self-immolated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.