Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I was looking at the winter tires options and for the Sahara the recommended wheels are 18"? Is there a reason we cannot go to 17" wheel / tire combo on the Sahara 4xe?

Also, any suggestions on winter tire sizes to stay within the OEM specs?

Thanks,
George

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hello George,

You can put 17 inches wheels, and tires of the overall diameter of your choice ! within oem specs is quite debatable, but the oe tires are 32 inchers, so between 31 and 33 should be good ! I’m thinking putting Nokian R3 SUV, 255 70 18 - same diameter, narrower, cheaper.

Let us know what you’ll choose !

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hey- same boat, obviously all of us proud Canadian easy to figure out since we are already talking about winter tires 😅 for me will be keeping the original rims and buy 20 Michelin’s winter tire, yup very pricey I.e 1200 plus tax but I feel it with the few extra hundreds $. for 17 or 18 plus rims will come to the same. I can afford 100$ for tire changes per year.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi ! Obviously, only Canadians and truely Northern Americans have (sadly) experienced rock hard AT tires at minus 25, and want Nokian dedicated winters ! The R3 SUV P-rated is 33" in 20", so that is a very good idea for a stock 4xe ! I guess it would be better to have 255 or even 235s, but the 4xe is about 15% heavier than the gas JLU(R) so it should even things out, traction-wise.

You've got me thinking about the choices I make ! and maybe do like you and grab 18x8 offset 30 wheels for 33-34" AT tires for summer...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I forgot to mention that my 4Xe came with 20" tires stock. Size is 275/55R20. Looks like it's 31.9" so 32".

I assume one option would be to keep the wheels and just get 20" tires but I would need to rebalance and reinstall twice a year.

Trying to see if I can avoid that and get 18" with more rubber for comfort and potholes in the winter and spring. :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi George,
It is indeed a hassle to take an appointment to dismount and remount tires on the same wheels twice per year, as opposed to changing your already-mounted tires and wheels yourself in your garage, when it is convenient for you ! Sam has got me thinking if it would be best to keep the 20" for summer and have cushier 17-18" for winter, or the opposite (20" for winter and 17-18" AT for summer). I guess the sidewalls aren't that bad on the 20s for winter potholes, so I may do like Sam, if I can make my mind about having 275 width winter tires (can't get much narrower in 20")
Let us know what you plan to do !

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi George,
It is indeed a hassle to take an appointment to dismount and remount tires on the same wheels twice per year, as opposed to changing your already-mounted tires and wheels yourself in your garage, when it is convenient for you ! Sam has got me thinking if it would be best to keep the 20" for summer and have cushier 17-18" for winter, or the opposite (20" for winter and 17-18" AT for summer). I guess the sidewalls aren't that bad on the 20s for winter potholes, so I may do like Sam, if I can make my mind about having 275 width winter tires (can't get much narrower in 20")
Let us know what you plan to do !
Same here in Montreal. Still in limbo about getting 20'' winter tires and spending $200 a year getting them off and back...... OR buying a 17 or 18'' wheel set and tires and switching them in my garage. After 5 years the wheels are paid for (or so).......unless you don't intent to keep the 4Xe for that long........another option would be to put on some summer/winter tires on and drive them all year long until they are finished but that can come fast. And don't forget guys that we have to buy 5 of each (tires and wheels), not like the mortals..:)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi,
I went with 275 60 20 Nokian Hakka 10 on the stock wheels, and Rubicon 17in take offs. Only bought 4 winter tires because I'm keeping the 33" spare since all the tires are of similar diameter. All tires are compromise, but I think in Montreal A/T tires will suck when it's time to brake in cold temps (they will be hard as a rock) or on ice. Trying to save $1500 on a $65K truck seems a bit silly for me, endangering other drivers (especially the ones driving in front of you), the car, and yourself. If you lived somewhere else, sure, 3 Peaks tires can be safely driven all year long - except Northern Canada, Alaska, Russia...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey All... doing the exercise right now. Really stuck between sticking to the 20" OEM mags and adding Hakka's as per above or going down to 18" for the winter. The $$ is not an issue for either option, so it's not about savings, just what is better for our wonderful Montreal roads. If I go down to 18" I will likely still stick to Hakka or Michelin X-Ice as have had very good multi-year experiences with both.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey All... doing the exercise right now. Really stuck between sticking to the 20" OEM mags and adding Hakka's as per above or going down to 18" for the winter. The $$ is not an issue for either option, so it's not about savings, just what is better for our wonderful Montreal roads. If I go down to 18" I will likely still stick to Hakka or Michelin X-Ice as have had very good multi-year experiences with both.
Hi Agean

The biggest Nokian winter tires are 33" and they are made for 20" wheels (well, there are the LT3 tires, but I they are D or E load rated so I thought I was gonna lose my fillings with 20 inchers, potholes, and such stiff tires !) I think the 275 60 20 Hakka 10 would have more than enough sidewall though for MTL potholes, especially compared to all the Audi and VW cars with very low profile winter rubbers !

Then, I got Rubicon take offs in 17" so I stay at 33" all year long. The 17" and 18" Nokians are all 32" or smaller, so keep that in mind too. And since I own 2 sets of wheels, I prefer to rock crawl with enormous 17" sidewalls and have "okay" 20" sidewalls for winter, rather than the opposite and breaking my 20s on a hard trail.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Agean

The biggest Nokian winter tires are 33" and they are made for 20" wheels (well, there are the LT3 tires, but I they are D or E load rated so I thought I was gonna lose my fillings with 20 inchers, potholes, and such stiff tires !) I think the 275 60 20 Hakka 10 would have more than enough sidewall though for MTL potholes, especially compared to all the Audi and VW cars with very low profile winter rubbers !

Then, I got Rubicon take offs in 17" so I stay at 33" all year long. The 17" and 18" Nokians are all 32" or smaller, so keep that in mind too. And since I own 2 sets of wheels, I prefer to rock crawl with enormous 17" sidewalls and have "okay" 20" sidewalls for winter, rather than the opposite and breaking my 20s on a hard trail.
Hey 95... Yeah I have burst my fair share of low profiles on my Bimmers and Audis in the past. As a real estate broker I am constantly on the road so for winter prefer more of a "street" tire. I don't mind buying wheels for the winter, just trying to figure out the best sizing. On my previous cars I always went down a size or two (even on my SUV's) but this is my first Wrangler so not sure of the winter dynamics and what is best.

·
Registered
39 Posts
First Wrangler here too. People ride 255s to narrow the tire footprint, but at 5300 lbs I think it shouldn't float too much with the stock 275 width... Like I said, I prefered 33" Nokians, but if you stay stock at 32" you can downsize to 17 or 18 wheels. You will gain some sidewall, although I think it's a false win since the sidewalls are already beefy enough in 275 60 20 for potholes (but not enough for serious offroading, which explains why I bought 17" Rubicon take offs for summer)

Let us know what you decide ! But I think it's a good decision to stay with "street" winter tires instead of LT3s for your needs.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wanted to provide an update. I have no affiliation with the products I ordered but happy with the results.

Go the Blizzak DMV2 at Costco for a killer price. ($120 off still on). 255-70 R18 which is basically the 32" stock tires size that come on the Sahara non-4Xe.
The wheels I went for 18" RWC RM555 perfect fit black finish. Can use OEM bolts and it is a perfect fit, no washers needed. You can use the OEM caps too.

All in after taxes, install, etc. was around 2k CAD. Not too bad considering just the 20" tires were 1,200 plus install.

Super happy. Will post pics soon. Looks awesome.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I wanted to provide an update. I have no affiliation with the products I ordered but happy with the results.

Go the Blizzak DMV2 at Costco for a killer price. ($120 off still on). 255-70 R18 which is basically the 32" stock tires size that come on the Sahara non-4Xe.
The wheels I went for 18" RWC RM555 perfect fit black finish. Can use OEM bolts and it is a perfect fit, no washers needed. You can use the OEM caps too.

All in after taxes, install, etc. was around 2k CAD. Not too bad considering just the 20" tires were 1,200 plus install.

Super happy. Will post pics soon. Looks awesome.
Nice!! I ended going with 265/70 r17 Michelin X-Ice. Canadian Tire had a crazy sale at $159 +tx (and 4% back on the CT card) and I found 1 year old EOM 17" wheels from a Jeep owner that had upgraded his wheels. Just got them on before the December 1 deadline here in Quebec. Had I not found these, I was looking at the Costco Blizzak's as well in 18" (which I did just buy for my wife's GTI)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I haven't used them yet, but I got a set of 18" Sahara wheels and got 265/70-18 General Grabber Arctic LT for my JLUR. Same diameter as the stock tires, 32.6 or so. I got them with TPMS, but I've recently been reading about a change in the TPMS system that's probably going to make that non functional. I got the set of 4 wheels from Craigslist for under $200, so that seems preferable to trying to swap tires on one set of wheels. Also there is a bit more selection of tires for the 18s than the stock size.

·
Registered
2021 Granite Grey , H.A Sahara 4xe
16 Posts
Hey Guys ,
Not a mechanic here but what are the meanest winter A/T I can throw on the stock black 20’s ?
275/55-20 right ?

Heres what I was thinking ?

BF Goodrich KO2 (Classic)
Pirelli scorpion AT Plus (flashy)
General Grabber ATX (crazy)

Got mine in October , really happy so far!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not a mechanic here but what are the meanest winter A/T I can throw on the stock black 20’s ?
275/55-20 right ?
A/T tires are NOT Winter tires. A/T tires are horrible in the winter unless it's a FL winter. LOL. In QC for example winter tires are required by law and they need to have the snowflake on them.
A/T rubber compound get hard in the winter below -6C and are dangerous when icy. Not recommended at all.

·
Registered
2021 Granite Grey , H.A Sahara 4xe
16 Posts
A/T tires are NOT Winter tires. A/T tires are horrible in the winter unless it's a FL winter. LOL. In QC for example winter tires are required by law and they need to have the snowflake on them.
A/T rubber compound get hard in the winter below -6C and are dangerous when icy. Not recommended at all.
Thanks my Friend see that’s why I am here . Yeah am in Quebec it’s bylaw by Dec.1st …. Ok then I guess my questions what the meanest safe winter tire out here for a wrangler ?

·
Registered
39 Posts

Being from Quebec, I can sadly attest that a lot of Jeep people want to be legal, but not moral. Some don’t care about braking distances in freezing cold temps (where 3 peak ATs aren’t up to the task). Some don’t care about not being to brake and hurt people in a smaller car in front of them. Some say they drove shitty ATs for 25 winters and never had an accident (yet). Well, I could have driven 25 years w/ my seatbelts airbags and crumple zone and I’d still be alive. The majority of them are cheap, lazy, or both and don’t want to spend $1K on a $60K car, or change tires and store them.

The difference between good ATs like ko2 and at3w and good winter tires like Nokians R3 or studded Hakka9s is night and day once you’ve tried, but some people don’t to want to try, or even look at objective braking distances comparisons… Free public healthcare, no-fault road accidents (which means that even if you are drunk and get disabled in an accident, Quebec will pay for your hospital care and even for years after for medical costs) - can you USA people believe that ?!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Thanks my Friend see that’s why I am here . Yeah am in Quebec it’s bylaw by Dec.1st …. Ok then I guess my questions what the meanest safe winter tire out here for a wrangler ?
My favorite 3 are Nokians, Hakkas or Blizzaks. I picked Blizzaks because they never let me down nut the other are amazing as well. You don't have to go crazy. Just go with the ones that you can get in your size. Honestly even the A/T tires that are winter rated, which is a very small number, are not a good compromise. The 4xe is heavy and if you don't have good winter tires your braking distance on ice will be horrible and dangerous. Keep the mean looking A/T tires for the summer or trails.

===> Winter vs. AT Winter

1 - 20 of 24 Posts