Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have test driven the 4xe twice, once with my wife who was determined to hate it and loved it. So I will build my new 4xe in the next week or so. I have read a lot on this site and gotten amazing info. I have some questions.

• Trim. I am debating a High Altitude vs a Rubicon optioned to be nearly identical to a HA. If I had a Rubicon, I’d take it on rocks just so I wasn’t the guy who had all the capability but didn’t know how to use it. But I’d still be the guy who barely used it. Northeast driver who will see some trails, some mud, but more snow than other things. Things I like about the Rubicon: Resale, look, capability to do everything. Things I like about HA: people seem to indicate it’s better in snow. Assume I’ll be on stock tires.

• Top. One touch vs 3 piece hard top. How often will I go completely bare? Not too often but definitely a few times a year. Question for the hivemind: How is the wind and road noise hard top vs one touch? The Wrangler is not a Lexus but I wonder if the top choice here makes a big difference. Same question about the leaks that Wranglers are known for.

• Build now or wait for 2022 models. This one speaks for itself. Should I submit the build now or wait for 2022. From things I’ve read here, 2022 looks to be little different from 2021. My only real hope here is more about working out a few more kinks because this forum will scare the hell out of a guy with all the problems people talk about. Highway shutdowns in a 1000 mile old car…WTF? Anyways any thoughts about waiting vs build now?

• Highway speeds. I see people comment about highway speed concerns. Is it really that bad? I took the 4xe Rubicon up to 70 on my test drive and didn’t notice anything exciting. More wind and road noise than my current VW GTI but nothing I wouldn’t expect. Can you cruse along at 79 for 5 hours without concern?
Looking forward to the customization and go-anywhere mindset.

·
Registered
286 Posts
So I live in the NE and similarly wont do a ton of off-road, but I am excited to start to do a little, especially with my kids.

- I went with the Rubicon for exactly why you like it

- I can't speak to the SOT roof on sound vs the hard top, but the main thing I don't like about it is you can't really take the whole top and back window off easily. I do like to remove the entire roof in the summer. As for leaks, I have never had a leak in my hard top or soft top

- Really just a judgement call IMO. There is not expected to be much difference

- I have accidentally been diving my 2019 JLU at 85 and didn't realize it. (I know it isn't the 4xe, so not sure if the extra 800lbs will affect that)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Long time (multiple) Jeep owner opinion:
  • Rubicon: always in demand so easy to sell/trade in the future; better gear ratios, great stock AT tires, shocks
  • 3pc Hard Top: add a soft top relatively cheap, not the other way around; it's quieter; security; climate protection
  • Tow package: resale value; bike racks utilized; wiring already in (it's a pain) if you ever need a trailer for whatever
  • Cold Weather: gives you remote start and toasty hands/buns and is also a resale value
  • Proximity: loved this every day since my 2011 Grand Cherokee; better than using new "fat keys"; resale value
  • Leather: easier to keep clean; adds the fold-down cup holders in armrest in back seat - very convenient

In regards to snow, all Jeeps go well in snow. I never opted for the LSD in the rear axle because all Jeeps have BLD (brake-lock differential) to prevent excessive spinning wheels in slippery conditions; I like that better BLD control over the LSD option which I did have in a couple vehicles. The BFG KO2 on the Rubicon are very good snow tires with good road manners AND you won't be stressing hurting the lips of your wheels on things. If conditions get ugly on or off-road, the Rubicon can lock the differentials...win. The LSD axles require additive to the lube when servicing and I would bet my left nut if you don't do that lube service yourself, it will be overlooked by a tech.

I did buy a 2012 Wrangler 2-door Sport when the new interior/3.6 came out in the JK. Loved it, but I did wish I had spent a bit more for a Rubicon. Did that again and again and finally, with a Rubicon and then for the Rubicon 4xe. You will get whatever more the Rubi costs over the Sahara or High Altitude at resale time, and with a lot more interested buyers. No regrets.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.