Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m getting bids to run electrical from the service panel to my garage. I have plenty of space on my panel. It’s about a 50 foot run through an exposed ceiling then up and into the garage. My electric service provider has a $750 rebate for the purchase and installation of a networked Level 2 charger (which is great because I’m thinking about the Juicebox 40).

Here is the question…NEMA 6-50 or NEMA 14-50? I’ve read that the 6-50 is one less wire so probably cheaper for installation. Is one better than the other? Pros/cons?

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think the jeep can only charge at a max rate of 32 amps anyway. The juicebox I am looking at only has the Nema 14-50. You should also see if they offer other rebates. Mine gives me $1,000 credit just for buying a new hybrid and then a juicebox for $369 but no rebate on installation.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I got a charge point, but it does not matter really which one, because the 4XE charges at 28 amps.

You also get a federal tax credit to install everything up to $1000 https://www.chargepoint.com/incentives/federal-charging-incentives

As far as NEMA plugs 6-50 (3 pins) are currently coming back into fashion as apposed to NEMA 14-50 (4-pins). The reason is because running copper 6 gage wife is expensive, like 3 to 4 times the price more than aluminum wire. When you run the NEMA 6-50 you are running 3 wires and not 4 wires with the NEMA 14-50. I chose to run 4 gage aluminum wire with NEMA 14-50 with a 60 amp breaker because I wanted to future proof my home because eventually everyone will be charging at 48 amps like Teslas. The reason you use a 60 amp breaker is because the further you run from you breaker box the more degradation you will face. Generally it is 10%, so if you had a 50 amp breaker you will be charing at 45 amps from your wall plug.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts