Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! We just bought a new Sahara 4XE and we are figuring out the best charging situation. Is it possible to buy a 240V Adapter to plug into the 110V charger that comes with the 4XE? Just want to make sure I dont blow anything up (or buy an unnecessary $50 adapter!)

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hello! We just bought a new Sahara 4XE and we are figuring out the best charging situation. Is it possible to buy a 240V Adapter to plug into the 110V charger that comes with the 4XE? Just want to make sure I dont blow anything up (or buy an unnecessary $50 adapter!)
You have an available 240v outlet? Can you post a photo of the receptacle and the circuit breaker? With that info, we can make some recommendations.

·
Registered
34 Posts
A 120 volt charger works only on a 120 volt circuit. To take advantage of faster charging you need a 240 volt circuit with higher amperage rating AND a 240 volt charger. The 240 volt charger pulls more power thus yielding faster charging.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Most 120V L1 chargers (including from the Chrysler Pacifica plug-in) will work on 240V input. EVDoctor - #1 Expert on the Web. The Amazing EVDOUBLER for Level 1 Chargers, EV Charger Repairs and Upgrades, New & Used Repair Parts has a list of L1 chargers he tested. If you don't have a 30A dryer outlet, you can make a split plug with inputs from 2 120V out-of-phase (on 2 different bus) sources. The same website has instructions on how to make the adapter with parts you can get from normal HW stores. If the 4xe's charger is the same as the Pacifica's, it should work. If not, it's trial and error. Most places (eg. garage) doesn't have two 120V out-of-phase outlets close together. So make sure you check the sources with a multi-meter before making the adapter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You have an available 240v outlet? Can you post a photo of the receptacle and the circuit breaker? With that info, we can make some recommendations.
Getting installed shortly by landlord! Thank you for your help, I will post once it has been built

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Most 120V L1 chargers (including from the Chrysler Pacifica plug-in) will work on 240V input. EVDoctor - #1 Expert on the Web. The Amazing EVDOUBLER for Level 1 Chargers, EV Charger Repairs and Upgrades, New & Used Repair Parts has a list of L1 chargers he tested. If you don't have a 30A dryer outlet, you can make a split plug with inputs from 2 120V out-of-phase (on 2 different bus) sources. The same website has instructions on how to make the adapter with parts you can get from normal HW stores. If the 4xe's charger is the same as the Pacifica's, it should work. If not, it's trial and error. Most places (eg. garage) doesn't have two 120V out-of-phase outlets close together. So make sure you check the sources with a multi-meter before making the adapter.
Thank you! This is helpful

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A 120 volt charger works only on a 120 volt circuit. To take advantage of faster charging you need a 240 volt circuit with higher amperage rating AND a 240 volt charger. The 240 volt charger pulls more power thus yielding faster charging.
Makes sense - thank you!

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you are talking about doing something like this to use the adapter that comes with the 4xe, it does not work. You will get an error as soon as you plug it in. I use my husband’s charging adapter from his Volt and it takes about 5-6 for a full charge.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts