Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sticker says battery charger cord level 2 , see attached ... anyone know what this means ? Am I suppose to have a level 2 cord ?
A25CEE80-8379-4DB1-BD75-D4A52B212BCE.png

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think its miss wording on Jeep's part. The charge port is a level 2 the included charger is a level 1.
I have a generic level 2 "Juice Box" from amazon charing my wife's 4xe currently.
The included level charge adapter/cord is nice and portable and works on standard 110v outlets, all US-based level 2 requires 220v (like a home AC, electric dryer, electric water heater) and not an outlet most people have already wired in their garage.
For those that camp/RV the juice box uses the same 4 prong 50amp plugin as RVs and campgrounds everywhere have 50amp outlets, so quick charging while your camping is a breeze

·
Registered
8 Posts
Before everybody runs out and drops $180 for the Tesla to SAE adapter, know that the Tesla charger has the option to be programmed to only charge Teslas.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I think its miss wording on Jeep's part. The charge port is a level 2 the included charger is a level 1.
I have a generic level 2 "Juice Box" from amazon charing my wife's 4xe currently.
The included level charge adapter/cord is nice and portable and works on standard 110v outlets, all US-based level 2 requires 220v (like a home AC, electric dryer, electric water heater) and not an outlet most people have already wired in their garage.
For those that camp/RV the juice box uses the same 4 prong 50amp plugin as RVs and campgrounds everywhere have 50amp outlets, so quick charging while your camping is a breeze
That's awesome since I have a couple of 50 amp RV plug-ins at the house and sold my RV last year! This 4xe is going to become the most popular TOAD.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’m using a Juicebox on my 4xe and the Jeep’s fan turns on and runs at a loud high speed about 30 mins into charging. It will only run for 5 or 10 seconds and turn off, sometimes it’s done this a couple times. No issue with the charging or charger that i can see and no error codes. Have you had this happen at all?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Actually, the Level 1 charger doesn't work on any standard 110v outlet. It will only work on a GFCI peotected outlet. Most newer homes will have that in the garage and you can buy a plug-in GFCI at most major home improvement stores if you find that you dont have the proper outlet in your garage.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Actually, the Level 1 charger doesn't work on any standard 110v outlet. It will only work on a GFCI peotected outlet. Most newer homes will have that in the garage and you can buy a plug-in GFCI at most major home improvement stores if you find that you dont have the proper outlet in your garage.
well that's confusing, because you are not supposed to plug a Tesla charger into a GFI outlet. I didn't think that Level 2 Tesla chargers could be programmed to only charge Tesla vehicles. I'll have to ask around on that. I know my UMC that came with my Tesla doesn't have any options at all. Granted most chargers around me are J1772 and not vehicle specific.

·
Registered
8 Posts
well that's confusing, because you are not supposed to plug a Tesla charger into a GFI outlet. I didn't think that Level 2 Tesla chargers could be programmed to only charge Tesla vehicles. I'll have to ask around on that. I know my UMC that came with my Tesla doesn't have any options at all. Granted most chargers around me are J1772 and not vehicle specific.
This is the new Tesla Level 2 charger I installed for a neighbor. He programs it thru his phone...

·
Registered
131 Posts
How would it "know", a GFCI outlet is basically just a fault circuit built into the outlet (or in the same series as the outlet in use, i.e., we have exterior outlets that are GFCI'ed by way of an interior outlet), I mean, I get that it might be recommended, but I'm certain it would operate[?]

·
Registered
8 Posts
How would it "know", a GFCI outlet is basically just a fault circuit built into the outlet (or in the same series as the outlet in use, i.e., we have exterior outlets that are GFCI'ed by way of an interior outlet), I mean, I get that it might be recommended, but I'm certain it would operate[?]
Nope. Tried 2 different non-GFI, then a GFI and it worked. Must have a checking circuit. Try it out for yourself.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Nope. Tried 2 different non-GFI, then a GFI and it worked. Must have a checking circuit. Try it out for yourself.
No shit[?] I will and report back, I've got our outlets pretty decently documented, so I think I can get to one that's not on a GFCI circuit. I just can't figure out how it would, I could understand if it was not a grounded outlet (like surge protectors will show this as a ground fault), but if it's a regular grounded outlet, with a GFCI inline somewhere (as the outlet itself doesn't need one, only to be between a GFCI outlet and the panel), that seems like some mystery voodoo.

Then again, I'm not an electrician, I don't even play one on TV :D

[edit]

What's the indicator when it "doesn't work", is it a fault light of some sort on the charger (without it being plugged in)? I just took an extension cord I've been using, and plugged the charger into every outlet (like 8 different ones) I could reach on the first floor, and that includes a number of them on interior walls, i.e., non-bathroom/kitchen outlets, and I always got the 3-4 green light blinks then solid green (like it would charge if I plugged it in).

·
Registered
8 Posts
No shit[?] I will and report back, I've got our outlets pretty decently documented, so I think I can get to one that's not on a GFCI circuit. I just can't figure out how it would, I could understand if it was not a grounded outlet (like surge protectors will show this as a ground fault), but if it's a regular grounded outlet, with a GFCI inline somewhere (as the outlet itself doesn't need one, only to be between a GFCI outlet and the panel), that seems like some mystery voodoo.

Then again, I'm not an electrician, I don't even play one on TV :D

[edit]

What's the indicator when it "doesn't work", is it a fault light of some sort on the charger (without it being plugged in)? I just took an extension cord I've been using, and plugged the charger into every outlet (like 8 different ones) I could reach on the first floor, and that includes a number of them on interior walls, i.e., non-bathroom/kitchen outlets, and I always got the 3-4 green light blinks then solid green (like it would charge if I plugged it in).
I got a flashing fault light on the control box. Haven't tried a non-GFI elsewhere, but the old farmhouse and barn are on separate circuits with different ground rods and neither worked. I need to try it on a NON-LIFE outlet at my house.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Your understanding is correct. The charging cable has no ability to know if there is a GFCI.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My level 1 charger that came with my 4xe is charging on a non-GFC outlet (but grounded correctly). No problem after two complete charges after my first week.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That's the one I found it on to begin with. I was teasing my neighbor about stealing his juice and he sent me a screenshot of the option.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts