Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This seems to be a tech savvy group so I figured I've give a heads up on this. Something about Android Auto on the Uconnect 8.4 display has been bothering me. The DPI and resolution is just way too crammed to be usable. I was unable to use Spotify unless I could get the google assistant to actually play the content I wanted.

I stumbled on an app available from xda called ODB2AA. It's been around for a few years but I somehow missed it. The primary purpose of the app is to add ODB2 readouts to Android Auto (using Torque Pro). But it has a couple other cooler features that are a game changer.

1. you can eliminate the tap limitation
  2. you can change the DPI AA uses

Eliminating the tap limitation means you can actually find things on any Android Auto app. You have full Spotify! You can find all your saved locations in maps, etc.

The default 140 DPI it sets also allows you to display much more information on the screen. The info content looks about doubled to me. This improves safety by requiring fewer taps.

The app is $2 and must be downloaded to the phone as an apk file and developer mode must be turned on for Android Auto. .

In my opinion the default Android Auto limits are more of a danger than a safety feature. I've found myself sometimes struggling with AA and getting so frustrated that I've gotten distracted.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sadly, I'm actually having some stability issues with it. I'm going to see if I can debug the problem.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not what I expected, but pretty cool. Thanks for sharing.

Have you found any way to sync Android Auto day/night modes with the vehicle? In my Camaro, it's linked to the automatic headlights, but in the 4xe android auto stays in day mode regardless of the headlights, absolutely blinding me at night! I've forced android auto to dark mode via developer settings, but would love to have the automatic functionality back!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, check your dimmer setting! At top it will turn on day mode. Yes that is blinging. One more click up the interior lights are also on.

Another thing you can do if you enable developer mode in AA is to set an always on day/night mode. I also think Uconnect has a setting to control if it's headlight headlight based.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also to add, there is another setting for brightness in day/night mode in Uconnect that helps with that crazy intensity.

I'm still getting blinded at night when I turn the power off.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Back to my original topic, I've figured out what was causing the issues and have been in touch with the developer. It has to do with the app crashing on the phone shortly after asking for permissions. I've since got all the permissions set and it has been stable.

Best $2 I've ever spent on an app! I'd recommend to anyone if they were tech savvy and also knew what XDA was.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts