Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my new 4xe Rubicon about a month ago and love it. Checked shortly after I got it that the fuses were seated. Probably 1/3 of them were not). Haven't had any problems at all at about 1800 miles. I have a trip planned next month that involves some offloading so I decided to take it on a local trail first to make sure everything is ok. Well, going up the mountain it performed flawlessly. I was very pleased. Stopped for lunch at the top for about 45min. Went to start it to continue on and it appeared to start but died right away. Check Engine Light on, Elect Throttle Control Light on, Screen going back and forth between Service Charging System and Service Electronic Stability Control. Also the charge light was pegged and it thought it was charging. Was finally able to get it going and into Drive and it went about 40ft and died. Hit SOS and No Reception. Was finally able to get in Neutral (both trans and transfer case) so had buddy tow me down the mountain which was burning up my brakes because I had to keep braking. On the way down, everything electrical went crazy. Seems like all of the warning lights came on at some point... sway bar disconnect light came on and sway bar not disconnected. Windshield wipers came on and I never had them on. All of the lights then started flickering and shortly after lost all electric. Had it towed to the dealer Sunday Night and have just been leaving them messages back and forth. They say they only have 2 4xe mechanics and are booked with appointments into August but they will fit me in. After 3 days and several voicemails, I got voicemail from the dealer today saying it looks like the battery is dead so they are working on replacing it so they can test. But we are booked out with appointments into August...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys...

Another interesting fact... a relative of mine who got his Sahara 4xe a few weeks before I got mine came on trip also and his check engine light came on on the trail but went off on his way home.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
524 Posts
Almost sounds like the 12v wasn’t connected properly or the cables were loose from the terminals. Did you check that when it first acted up??

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, Also tried two times disconnecting battery for 10 minutes to try to reset but that didn't work.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Something else... I was out of battery about 5 minutes before I stopped. When I went back to start it, along with all of the warning lights the charge dial was pegged and it thought is was charging and said that I had 6% battery. When I opened hood it said something to the effect that it had to stop charging while the hood was open.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Curious what info you could have gotten from the Hybrid screen on battery usage showing - or + kW
Well, they are fun to drive, until they don't.
Nothing like working to make the payments on a vehicle you can't drive and trust. Sorry, in the same sinking boat waiting for mine to get fixed also. Yours sounds way worse though.
Did they put you in a loaner?

Yes, if it is in run and you open the hood, the engine will always start, well... it's suppose to. If it's not in Run, it cannot be charged with the hood open so that part is normal in my understanding.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Several people that have had issues like this had them off-road or on dirt roads makes me think something is coming loose or shorting when things get roof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Couldn't even get to other screens. It's like it was locked up. It was actually stuck in RUN with the engine not running. That's why I disconnected battery - to try to reset so maybe I could start.

Dealer has replaced both batteries and still doesn't know what's wrong!
Don't have a loaner yet but I'm going to need one pretty soon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got my new 4xe Rubicon about a month ago and love it. Checked shortly after I got it that the fuses were seated. Probably 1/3 of them were not). Haven't had any problems at all at about 1800 miles. I have a trip planned next month that involves some offloading so I decided to take it on a local trail first to make sure everything is ok. Well, going up the mountain it performed flawlessly. I was very pleased. Stopped for lunch at the top for about 45min. Went to start it to continue on and it appeared to start but died right away. Check Engine Light on, Elect Throttle Control Light on, Screen going back and forth between Service Charging System and Service Electronic Stability Control. Also the charge light was pegged and it thought it was charging. Was finally able to get it going and into Drive and it went about 40ft and died. Hit SOS and No Reception. Was finally able to get in Neutral (both trans and transfer case) so had buddy tow me down the mountain which was burning up my brakes because I had to keep braking. On the way down, everything electrical went crazy. Seems like all of the warning lights came on at some point... sway bar disconnect light came on and sway bar not disconnected. Windshield wipers came on and I never had them on. All of the lights then started flickering and shortly after lost all electric. Had it towed to the dealer Sunday Night and have just been leaving them messages back and forth. They say they only have 2 4xe mechanics and are booked with appointments into August but they will fit me in. After 3 days and several voicemails, I got voicemail from the dealer today saying it looks like the battery is dead so they are working on replacing it so they can test. But we are booked out with appointments into August...
@JeepCares

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hopefully you can get it fixed! I had a dead battery after 600 miles and dealer found nothing on a load test. Drove it home and am having horrible gear shifts and NVH from the trans even at idle. Had about 20 fuses not set correctly and that seems to have fixed the extreme NVH but the gear shifts are still horrendous.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Thanks for tagging us here, dwes. When you have a moment, please send our team a private message with the current status of your vehicle and we can discuss the next best route for assistance!

Kate
Jeep Cares

·
Registered
| 2012 JKU Sahara | 2021 4xe Sahara |
70 Posts
@dwes
Any updates or progress you can share with us. Did they at least get you in a loaner to drive.

I am not dwes, but, I’ve noticed you’ve also posted on his update thread a few days ago so just providing link here in case he’s not around to respond yet:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Major issue, pressed the dealer to buy it back. See my post.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts