Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to order a 4xe Rubicon today but became very concerned on the number of 4xes that are having issues with completely shutting down due to various issues. Thinking of diesel instead of their are too many issues. Anyone have regrets? Thanks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
None. I love having a roomy, comfortable, 4 door electric convertible that is easy to drive and maneuver in tight areas during my day-to-day urban excursions around the Bay Area. There's nothing else like it in that scenario. It's also great to know I can go on practically any trail I want, anywhere I want, either stock or with some simple upgrades like Rubi wheels/tires. Again, there's nothing else on the market that can do all of that. I've not had any significant issues and, having been a FCA/Stellantis customer for years, I'm mostly confident they will address any problems that arise. I do feel for people on this board who have had issues, but I've owned numerous other makes/models of cars with well-document Achilles heels and I always plan for the worst and I'm happy when everything is great. Like all of those other cars, time always wins, the known problems will be discovered and addressed, and these cars will be no less reliable than any other modern car on the road. My $.02.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I regret getting one. I understood there might be minor hiccups with a new vehicle, but my transmission was completely shot at 600 miles due to an issue at the plant. The dealer and Jeep haven't shown any real effort in getting anything resolved over the last 60 days I've been without the vehicle. The whole thing has been a massive waste of my time as I am fighting to get the dealer to even look at the car while no one from any side answers a phone call or gives me updates without provoking. Replacement parts are continuously delayed and they blame Covid. There's no end in sight and I feel stuck with the vehicle long-term and at their mercy every step of the way.

·
Registered
52 Posts
No regrets here. We love our 4XE. It's fun, fairly practical, easy to drive, fun, no issues... did I mention it was fun? Currently getting 38.5 mpg on top of that given a lot of our driving can be done in electric.

·
Registered
4xe Sahara
2 Posts
Love it. No issues (knock on wood) at 8k miles. My only “regret” right now is not getting a rubicon instead of the Sahara. But that might just be a case of “the grass is greener.” I commute a lot, so realistically the Sahara is better for me than a rubicon. I just like the more off-road/utilitarian look of the rubicon than the street-oriented look of the Sahara.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I am about to order a 4xe Rubicon today but became very concerned on the number of 4xes that are having issues with completely shutting down due to various issues. Thinking of diesel instead of their are too many issues. Anyone have regrets? Thanks.
Yes, I have regrets!!!!!!! I regret I did NOT get my order in earlier.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I regret getting one. I understood there might be minor hiccups with a new vehicle, but my transmission was completely shot at 600 miles due to an issue at the plant. The dealer and Jeep haven't shown any real effort in getting anything resolved over the last 60 days I've been without the vehicle. The whole thing has been a massive waste of my time as I am fighting to get the dealer to even look at the car while no one from any side answers a phone call or gives me updates without provoking. Replacement parts are continuously delayed and they blame Covid. There's no end in sight and I feel stuck with the vehicle long-term and at their mercy every step of the way.
That sucks. Sounds like luck of the draw.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xE, White
146 Posts
It may be too early to tell expect for those exceptions that are having the issues you see on the forums. It sucks, but this happens with all cars (just check other forums). I am couple of weeks into my Rubi and am obsessed with it (and so are the kids). If you know what you are getting (and that's what you want) you will absolutely love it

·
Registered
57 Posts
The two things that have always kept me away from buying a Jeep were that they are too sluggish, and they are extremely inefficient. The 4XE solves both of those problems in spades! And, with the $7500 tax credit, it is also an extreme bargain compared to the other choices in the market. So, yes, I have absolutely no regrets.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The two things that have always kept me away from buying a Jeep were that they are too sluggish, and they are extremely inefficient
This is my first Jeep and I was always turned off by the JKU interior noise and cheapness of materials, handling, sluggishness, and the threat of Pentastar cylinder head failures. Those things never seemed to affect peoples' adoration of Wranglers, so I doubt these current problems will have long-term negative effects on the 4xe. I have no doubt I'll get most of my $$ back if I ever trade it for an even more problematic Defender!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I can speak as a former JK owner and current owner of a 4xe that is in the shop because of engine shutting down while driving. I actually loved this vehicle and I hope to get it back. If I had to do it again I can say I’d wait for the 2022 because hopefully by then they would have the kinks worked out. I really enjoyed driving it and I wouldn’t want to go back to a non 4xe. But since I don’t have any Jeep right now I can say I would wait because what’s the difference to me - I’m Jeep-less either way.

·
Registered
97 Posts
We now have 2 in the household.

Sahara 4xe ordered last winter, and delivered around April. It's pretty early build, and has had some issues. Check engine light has been on almost persistently waiting for a fix to the gas cap issue. This doesn't effect operation of the vehicle, so it's fine. Ball joints are clicking and dealer says they need to be replaced. Dealer says it's safe to drive while they wait for parts so annoying, but fine. Throttle Control and Low Oil Pressure warnings came on once after a long (all day) drive, but cleared by morning and haven't been seen since. Figuring this stuff out took multiple trips to the dealer, and those are particularly nerving warnings on a long drive so it's frustrating, but Jeep has been working with us to make it right.

2nd one was picked up this weekend, 4xe Rubicon. Knock on wood but this one feels better sorted than the Sahara, obviously a much later build. Dealer re-seated the fuses in front of me when I picked it up and they all needed to be seated, so that's not a great start. Paint coating coming off where the gas cap screws on, knowing this is the trigger for the gas cap issue I've cleaned it up and been very particular about putting the gas cap on correctly and tightly. After ~500 miles it drives wonderfully.

As long as they work, they're an amazing vehicle. Coming from Tesla, I cant help but think they're still a bit old fashioned. Rivian and Cybertruck will both feature ~2s 0-60 acceleration and all the touchscreen tech toys. This isnt that. It's a hybrid drivetrain but it's also a hybrid of the old Jeep rawness and new tech. It's a Jeep that learned some new tricks and those tricks just happened to address some of the worst aspects of a Jeep (acceleration and efficiency).

I'm coming from a Model 3 performance and a JK (manual, 2 door). I wanted those two vehicles to be one vehicle, and I feel like that's what I got - so I'm happy. I'll be glad when these things have more usable range and faster charging, but this is a pretty compelling package in the meantime, and I wanted to vote with my wallet here toward more / better electrified Jeeps.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I’m actually dealing with the same dilemma. While one side says electric is the future and I want to be part of that, the other side of me says (and my local dealer too) buy a diesel Wrangler. If I go 4xe it’s a lease, diesel would be purchase. This is a toy for me not primary transportation. For now I’m waiting for:

-Dealer service personnel to be better trained.

-Jeep to learn from the problems and make corrections.

-$12,500 EV tax credit, my luck I’d order one it’ll show up in 3 weeks and 2 weeks later the increased tax credit will pass.

·
Registered
51 Posts
A few years ago my 2017 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins was part of a half-million vehicle recall because the water pump bearings would overheat and burn the truck to the ground. I knew about the recall, they sent me a letter, and it took 6 months to get a part to fix it. I was driving 1500 miles a week for work and had a quick escape plan in mind for when it decided to blow up. That was a water pump on a diesel engine, both of which have been in mainstream motor vehicles for 130 years. My point is bad engineering, lax quality control, and just bad luck can happen at any time in any product. It sucks to be on the losing side of that equation, but I still loved that truck and I love this Jeep.

that said, Rivians do look great... I followed one from Santa Cruz last week and I'm a fan.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I’m actually dealing with the same dilemma. While one side says electric is the future and I want to be part of that, the other side of me says (and my local dealer too) buy a diesel Wrangler. If I go 4xe it’s a lease, diesel would be purchase. This is a toy for me not primary transportation. For now I’m waiting for:

-Dealer service personnel to be better trained.

-Jeep to learn from the problems and make corrections.

-$12,500 EV tax credit, my luck I’d order one it’ll show up in 3 weeks and 2 weeks later the increased tax credit will pass.
I am going to same way of leasing 4xe and would buy the diesel. I loved the 4xe torque. I use to own a touraeg with diesel and liked that engine more than the Jeep. Seem to have more torque to me. of course when you cheat, the engine would seem better:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
One month since we got the car. No regrets so far. Working as expected. Wished that battery range is little more than 25 miles but oh well, it's a bonus any way.

·
Registered
17 Posts
No regrets (knock on wood). There is nothing like top and doors off and absolutely no engine noise. It really is zen like. Rarely go over electric range in a day, but such a bummer when I do and the engine kicks on.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts