Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

While, my Red JLUR 4xe is getting built (ordered 5/29, expecting delivery by end of july), I am researching on RTT+Roof Rack(RR) for overlanding build.

At this time I am narrowing down to iKamper 2.0 on a Rhino rack platform (RCL legs) with backbone system as a first choice, as it seems to be more sturdier and versatile to carry stuff on the roof.

I like to know any of you have already installed a RTT or planning to install one soon and hear from your experience and what make/model you have chosen ? Also, what hoist system you are using to life/store the hardtop with RTT+RR still attached.

(Btw, I am currently using Recor hoist to store my JLU sport S hardtop and it works perfectly fine. I am not sure, whether it can hold the weight of RTT+RR that I am planning to add to my 4xe).

Also, if you are planning to lift and add bigger tyres, what make/model you are looking at and why? Again, reading in the jlwranglerforums, people are talking about choosing the lift should consider the additional weight from RTT+rack+battery etc, along with other overland gears.

Any comments ?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Personally, I'm planning to go with the rhino rack. However, I contacted rhino rack CS and they indicated that they haven't yet validated the strongback fit on the 4xe models. I'd kind of doubt there's any model differences between the standard JLUR and the 4xe, but personally I'm going to wait till they verify a fit.

·
Registered
88 Posts
We thought about a RTT but because of the high cost and weight and decreased gas mileage, we decided to go with a bed platform in back and a ground tent for now. We want to find out more about RTTs from users with experience before we invest that that much money in a tent, plus the rack to put it on.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We thought about a RTT but because of the high cost and weight and decreased gas mileage, we decided to go with a bed platform in back and a ground tent for now. We want to find out more about RTTs from users with experience before we invest that that much money in a tent, plus the rack to put it on.
Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello,

While, my Red JLUR 4xe is getting built (ordered 5/29, expecting delivery by end of july), I am researching on RTT+Roof Rack(RR) for overlanding build.

At this time I am narrowing down to iKamper 2.0 on a Rhino rack platform (RCL legs) with backbone system as a first choice, as it seems to be more sturdier and versatile to carry stuff on the roof.

I like to know any of you have already installed a RTT or planning to install one soon and hear from your experience and what make/model you have chosen ? Also, what hoist system you are using to life/store the hardtop with RTT+RR still attached.

(Btw, I am currently using Recor hoist to store my JLU sport S hardtop and it works perfectly fine. I am not sure, whether it can hold the weight of RTT+RR that I am planning to add to my 4xe).

Also, if you are planning to lift and add bigger tyres, what make/model you are looking at and why? Again, reading in the jlwranglerforums, people are talking about choosing the lift should consider the additional weight from RTT+rack+battery etc, along with other overland gears.

Any comments ?
When you install the platform system with the backbone, will you be able to pull off the hardtop still?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Automotive tire I have a rhino rack on my jku, with the tent on top you definitely notice the weight difference and wind drag, but it’s not as noticeable as a light bar tbh. When I trade in for my 4xe I’m going to get their 3 bar system so the tent is easier to take on and off. I had to do some custom mounting to get it to work with the rhino rack.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When you install the platform system with the backbone, will you be able to pull off the hardtop stil
When you install the platform system with the backbone, will you be able to pull off the hardtop still?
I think i should be able to take off the hardtop along with roof rack/backbone system. I currently have Racor rack to hoist my 2018 JLU hard top. I am thinking i can use the same to lift my 4xe hardtop along with rhino rack roofrack/backbone.
I am thinking i might have to install another hoist for RTT as my racor hoist would not be able to handle both roof rack weight and roof top tent weight.
I am looking for suggestions.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think i should be able to take off the hardtop along with roof rack/backbone system. I currently have Racor rack to hoist my 2018 JLU hard top. I am thinking i can use the same to lift my 4xe hardtop along with rhino rack roofrack/backbone.
I am thinking i might have to install another hoist for RTT as my racor hoist would not be able to handle both roof rack weight and roof top tent weight.
I am looking for suggestions.
Do you just strap the top to the bottom of the garage hoist? How did you set it up to use their system?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do you just strap the top to the bottom of the garage hoist? How did you set it up to use their system?
Yes, thats exactly what I do. I use Topsy strap/hinge hooks to tie the hardtop under the hoist.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts