Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to order a receiver and I've seen conflicting reports about issues people encounter on other JLs, such as weldnuts and bumper brackets.

Anyone here added one yet? Also debating if I should put in the wiring harness while I'm at it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
How would you tow without the wiring harness?
Maybe use it for an extra cargo carrier?

My 4xe came with a receiver hitch so I guess that was an option and not standard equipment?

I presume if the OP orders the hitch from Mopar then it should fit?

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I need one for a bicycle rack.

I don't have any towing needs yet. But I've heard you can tap into external 12v power that way.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I installed one the other day…. Super easy. Took like 20 mins. It was remove the two main bolts holding on the center rear bumper support.. two bolts in underside of bumper, slide the bumper bracket so I was able to put the bolts welded on to the hitch and then bolt it back in place with the two bolts I removed and two that came with the hitch. I needed mine for my bike rack as well. I didn’t hookup the light cable as I don’t need it, but if you want too, you just unscrew the drivers side rear light lens, plug in the harness and run it down to the hitch. I got the rugged ridge one I think. Like 76 bucks on Amazon. Super easy

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, what exactly was it you had to do with the welded bolts? Some JLs don't have them and others do. I've read of people having a hard time with the welded bolts.

I got the Curt one as it seemed slightly longer. I'm hoping between the bike rack and the curt hitch I'll clear the spare.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The welded bolts on the hitch needed to have the bumper bracket slid over them, Then put back into place as it was factory. That’s why you have to loosen the bracket. Once it’s loose, just position it angled with the two holes facing downish. Then, I slid the hitch welded bolts into the bracket holes somewhat and just pushed the hitch upwards. The bracket went back into place perfectly. I lined the hitch bolt holes and the bumper hanger holes up , Then bolted the factory bolts back and used the bolts from the kit on the other two. No nuts needed.

On my rack, I use a dropper extension. I forgot how much of a drop, but I would say 2 inches. It fits perfectly. I have a Thule T2 pro for my Mountain bikes.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I installed the Draw Tite 76104 hitch and the Tekonsha 118786 wiring harness. I needed to tow a utility trailer so I needed wiring for the lights. I watched the reviews and installation video for the wiring harness from etrailer.com website.
They also recommended the Draw Tite hitch for the increased tongue weight/tow capacity. What I liked about it too was the pre drilled mount the 4 pin wiring bracket holder (bought separately). Made for a clean install without wires dangling about.
For the actual hitch installation I followed the video from the extremeterrain.com website. The video tackles the issue with the bumper bracket my Sahara had.
The hitch was easy to put in. The wiring took more time spent running the power wire to the battery.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I’ll have to take a picture of mine tomorrow. With a new without the bike rack. Either way super easy and quick. Doesn’t take much skill to do it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just to add to the discussion, I reinstalled the hitch that was previously on my JK Wrangler on the 4xe. I'm also not towing it's just for a bike rack. It fit fine and I guess it would be ok for light towing but I don't have the light hookups because the harness configuration is different on the JL so I can't say.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got my hitch installed today, mostly. I didn't have enough clearance with the muffler to get one of the bolts in. Every video they just seem to pop them in, dropped muffler or not. At least I understand the support bracket situation now.

I tried to drop the muffler too and got nowhere with that. That's something else that looks effortless in the videos. May need to go to my mechanic and get some help with that.

Good new at least is the Allen rack I got clears the camera by a couple inches with the Curt hitch.

Rack:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N8VJPTP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hitch

·
Registered
13 Posts
I didn’t have to touch the muffler. The setup looks very similar to the one I bought and I didn’t have to touch the muffler. I just slid the bolts in above to get them in the hole. It really was easy, even with the bumper bracket.

That nice the rack clears everything. My type of rack wouldn’t unless I have the dropper as well.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I didn’t have to touch the muffler. The setup looks very similar to the one I bought and I didn’t have to touch the muffler. I just slid the bolts in above to get them in the hole. It really was easy, even with the bumper bracket.

That nice the rack clears everything. My type of rack wouldn’t unless I have the dropper as well.
Those ones do a better job holding the bikes though.

This model seemed to be aimed at wranglers but I didn't trust it would actually work because many don't seem to factor the camera. They make another model that is even longer but it doesn't fold flat. The Curt hitch may also add another inch. Happy with it so far!

I may actual be able to still see some from the camera.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts