Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only saw one or 2 posts about the Tazer Mini on a 4xe, does anyone else have it. Any issues? I'd really like to get some input before I order one up. Any info would be great.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
I have one. I’ve done a couple of things to the light configuration, like keeping the fogs on when high beams are illuminated. It takes a bit of practice to get the hang of toggling the options. Also, when you first marry it to your Jeep you’ll likely end up with an alarming display of malfunction lights and error codes when you restart, but that’s fixable within the Tazer’s menu structure…once the codes are cleared, it’ll all be good.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Good to hear other people are using it. I had such a hard time getting to the wires that I decided to buy the adapter cable that makes it easy to switch out before dropping it off at the dealer. But as far as the system itself, I purchased mainly to configure the new tire size (went with stock Rubicon tires which were .8" taller) and to lower the TPMS tire pressure to 32psi because of the new tires as well.

I would really like to be able to disable that annoying alert when walking away from the vehicle with the engine running!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Bought one, but having problems and tech support is a robot that gets hung up.

1. I got the Jeep software update and found that the max regen button stays in its last state....until I added the Tazer, now it's buggy. It comes on when I start out, but randomly shuts off which is kind of unnerving when you expect regen braking and it isn't there.

2. Like the feature of rear lockers in 2wd and 4wd hi, but I always have to shift back the 2wd to get it to unlock. This one is no big deal, just odd.

3. One of the features I really wanted is the sway bar staying disconnected above 20mph. That hasn't changed with the install.

I've rebooted twice and been through several start-stop cycles, but no fix. Anyone else having these issues?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bought one, but having problems and tech support is a robot that gets hung up.

1. I got the Jeep software update and found that the max regen button stays in its last state....until I added the Tazer, now it's buggy. It comes on when I start out, but randomly shuts off which is kind of unnerving when you expect regen braking and it isn't there.

2. Like the feature of rear lockers in 2wd and 4wd hi, but I always have to shift back the 2wd to get it to unlock. This one is no big deal, just odd.

3. One of the features I really wanted is the sway bar staying disconnected above 20mph. That hasn't changed with the install.

I've rebooted twice and been through several start-stop cycles, but no fix. Anyone else having these issues?
I ended up getting one a bit ago, the sway bar, tire size and locker functionality was what I really wanted, though there are a few other things I liked. My sway bar was acting stock still, but once I saved it to a quick function using one of the cruise control buttons it seems to stay disconnected above the 17 MPH OE limit. I haven't had a chance to use the lockers yet so I'm not sure how that will work. I don't really use the max regen so I can't speak to that either.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I ended up getting one a bit ago, the sway bar, tire size and locker functionality was what I really wanted, though there are a few other things I liked. My sway bar was acting stock still, but once I saved it to a quick function using one of the cruise control buttons it seems to stay disconnected above the 17 MPH OE limit. I haven't had a chance to use the lockers yet so I'm not sure how that will work. I don't really use the max regen so I can't speak to that either.
Thanks. I'll try the button assignment for the swaybar and see if that works.

It took me a while to get used to it, but I love the max regen. Would be happy if it just always stayed on. Definitely had to re-learn driving. I actually get aggravated when I have to use the service brake because I missed a turn or somebody jams on their brakes in traffic. Maybe Tazer could increase the regen limit? I'd like that, but I'm guessing it's a factor of the charging circuit limits.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Maybe Tazer could increase the regen limit?
Max regen doesn't effect how much regen is occurring. It simply changes the user input to initiate the regenerative braking system from pressing on the brake pedal to letting off the accelerator. In theory, something like a tazer could adjust that mapping to change how quickly it ramps up as you let off the accelerator, but it wouldn't be able to ever increase the regen limit.

People often mistake the max regen selection as behaving similarly to the variable regen on something like a tesla. In those, increasing regen actually increases the amount of energy recaptured. They don't use a blended braking system though.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Max regen doesn't effect how much regen is occurring. It simply changes the user input to initiate the regenerative braking system from pressing on the brake pedal to letting off the accelerator. In theory, something like a tazer could adjust that mapping to change how quickly it ramps up as you let off the accelerator, but it wouldn't be able to ever increase the regen limit.

People often mistake the max regen selection as behaving similarly to the variable regen on something like a tesla. In those, increasing regen actually increases the amount of energy recaptured. They don't use a blended braking system though.
I get that about the ramp which I think is pretty good until you get below 30mph, then it seems to flatren be less effective, presumably, for driver comfort. I've noticed you never really get above around 40% on regen. What limits the amount of regen? The capacity of charging circuit? I'd like it to actually stop the vehicle instead of using the service brake at 5mph and below.

·
Registered
2022 Rubicon 4xe
579 Posts
There's a software limit that regen turns off at 3mph requiring the service brake. I have less than no idea why! Seems strange to ALMOST allow one peddle driving.

I get that about the ramp which I think is pretty good until you get below 30mph, then it seems to flatren be less effective, presumably, for driver comfort. I've noticed you never really get above around 40% on regen. What limits the amount of regen? The capacity of charging circuit? I'd like it to actually stop the vehicle instead of using the service brake at 5mph and below.

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
I'd like it to actually stop the vehicle instead of using the service brake at 5mph and below.
The motor is essentially using back emf to slow the vehicle, which is a direct function of how fast the motor/generator is turning. As it slows down and approaches 0, the motor spins slower (and eventually stops), and the only holding force available would be from actively energizing the windings.

Long story short, the generator stops being an efficient means to slow/stop the vehicle as you come to a stop, which is why it hands off to the mechanical brakes.

·
Registered
292 Posts
The motor is essentially using back emf to slow the vehicle, which is a direct function of how fast the motor/generator is turning. As it slows down and approaches 0, the motor spins slower (and eventually stops), and the only holding force available would be from actively energizing the windings.

Long story short, the generator stops being an efficient means to slow/stop the vehicle as you come to a stop, which is why it hands off to the mechanical brakes.
Gotcha. Regen is new to be. We used resistive braking on drives back in the day to slow equipment down. Almostall that power dissipated as heat, then the physical brakes came on at the end to stop and lock the machine for tool changes. Would be nice if the 4xe applied the service brakes at the end to make it true 1-pedal driving. Any idea how Tesla does it?

·
Registered
1,899 Posts
Any idea how Tesla does it?
So interesting history there. It looks like the earlier models couldn't. When the model 3 came to be, even it couldn't at first. There was a software update that added the capability for the vehicles with the DC synchronous motors. Now, the other models get the model 3 front motor and are able to. It sounds like they're basically energizing the winding and using power to come to a complete stop. It seems to be a trade off of efficiency vs driver experience.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a BMW i3 and they have very aggressive regen. it will bring the vehicle to a complete stop, and hold it.
it's become a game when driving it to try and never touch the brake.
Not sure how the tech works, but I do love it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts