Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
5 months 2700 miles and not impressed with the audio on the Rubicon and Alpine sub. I am not a huge audio person but I am looking for a good sounds that doesn't crackle like. Service and Sales at dealership say this a normal jeep sound quality. I am looking for anyone who has replaced the factory alpine amp with something better or upgraded a head unit to something better. I am skeptical on upgrading the head unit on a 4xe due to all the integration and settings.

I am hoping for a better amp and I plan on upgrading speakers with the oen audio plus kit.https://oemaudioplus.com/jeep/

· Registered
80 Posts
While not a top tier system the Alpine is not bad. It does not "crackle" or "distort" at all - if it does the problem is your audio source.

With that being said if you choose to replace it, plan to go all in. That includes new amps, speakers, and subwoofer. You can integrate to the factory head unit relatively easily using an AP4-CH41. To do something decent DIY your prob still in the $1,500 range to start.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looking at the linkswell 12" for replacement
-Replacing Alpine amp
Undecided
-AddingnJL audio stealth box driver side
-Replacing Alpine speaker on passenger side
-Replacing speakers in sound bar
Replacing front dash speakers- looking at Terra Acoustics

2 hrs labor to re-wire for new speakers.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
While not a top tier system the Alpine is not bad. It does not "crackle" or "distort" at all - if it does the problem is your audio source.

With that being said if you choose to replace it, plan to go all in. That includes new amps, speakers, and subwoofer. You can integrate to the factory head unit relatively easily using an AP4-CH21. To do something decent DIY your prob still in the $1,500 range to start.
Yep posted below I am going all in..still not sure on amp. Local shop carries linkswell going out Saturday to talk specific configuration

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What do you mean by crackle? I've had mine turned up pretty loud and been semi-impressed by how it sounds considering the acoustics of a Wrangler interior. I wonder if there's something wrong with yours.
Crackles yes..low hum yes...distorts turning up half way...

Not complaing just replacing components and wiring. I am looking to stay under 1000 watts.

· Registered
579 Posts
5 months 2700 miles and not impressed with the audio on the Rubicon and Alpine sub. I am not a huge audio person but I am looking for a good sounds that doesn't crackle like. Service and Sales at dealership say this a normal jeep sound quality. I am looking for anyone who has replaced the factory alpine amp with something better or upgraded a head unit to something better. I am skeptical on upgrading the head unit on a 4xe due to all the integration and settings.

I am hoping for a better amp and I plan on upgrading speakers with the oen audio plus kit.https://oemaudioplus.com/jeep/
Looking at the linkswell 12" for replacement
-Replacing Alpine amp
Undecided
-AddingnJL audio stealth box driver side
-Replacing Alpine speaker on passenger side
-Replacing speakers in sound bar
Replacing front dash speakers- looking at Terra Acoustics

2 hrs labor to re-wire for new speakers.
-Headunit = hell no
-Alpine sub ring? No, stock enclosure is too small and worthless. You don’t need two subs.
-Pointless to have a wattage target.
-Most of us do not have any crackle or distortion

· Registered
80 Posts
Crackles yes..low hum yes...distorts turning up half way...

Not complaing just replacing components and wiring. I am looking to stay under 1000 watts.
There is an issue with your system. Go see another dealer, this usually ends up being a software issue and they re-flash the amplifier. Very common on the vehicles with the HK stereo systems.

As a former professional MECP certified installer for 15+ years here is some advice: Run, run, and hide from the Linkswell. It looks like garbage, performs like shit and does not retain all factory information. I would bet $1000 you will not be happy with it. Go with the Stinger Heigh10 or the Alpine ReStyle both of these look OEM.... if you must change out the headunit. I personally wouldn't and use the CH41 mentioned above.The only benefit to going aftermarket is a larger screen. The CH41 will give you perfect and simple amplifier integration.(It is also plug and play)

Subwoofer - stick with one and go with it. Otherwise you have two subs in different enclosures. It is a recipe for failure and disappointment. You mentioned a stealthbox but posted something that looks like I made in my garage when I was 16. That BRP box is hideous. This is the real stealthbox: SB-J-JL4DPAS/10TW1-4

The rear speakers brackets look really good - but not sure if they are needed. I haven't even looked at the 4xE alpine system - but most of the Jeeps already have 6.5s so this may not be needed.

Everything you posted will sound like dogshit compared to working Alpine factory system. If they are re-wiring the speakers than that means they are by-passing the amp. That means your factory tweeters and 6.5s are tied together with a cheap bass blocker running 15 watts of the Linkswell, rear speakers are getting the same power. Not sure where power for sub is even coming from.

If a shop recommended all this - run and hide from them. Sounds like a ghetto backyard shop to me, probably will end up being messed up and broken panels. You have a $60,000 vehicle - don't cheap out on this project.

· Registered
17 Posts
I've had the Terra front speakers for about 6 months. Took about 30 minutes to install. Make sure tuck the excess wire under the speaker otherwise it'll ratlle on higher volumes if the wire is draped over the top of the speaker cone (duh on me). Sound diff is noticeable - crisper vocals and bigger sound stage.
I'm now looking at replacing the sound bar speakers with 6x9s. The MB bracket is $80 on Amz; I found some Infinity Ref series for $80 as well. Just haven't pulled the trigger yet since the car is a lease. Not practical for sure, but I've spent more money on less impactful things than this.
Another member mentioned the best bang is the front dash, then the lower front speakers, then the sound bar. The lower front requires removal of the dash which sounds like a PITA.

· Registered
7 Posts
I did two upgrades. First replaced the front dash with kickers (plug and play). Second I replaced soundbar speakers with JL/JT pods with Alpine component speakers. All in all approx $350 and a very good improvement in clarity and bass response. Also, everything is reversible to OEM in about 30 min.

Soundbar set up:

Font Audio equipment Circle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Front Dash speakers:

Font Automotive tire Audio equipment Motor vehicle Screenshot

Attachments

· Registered
53 Posts
I've had the Terra front speakers for about 6 months. Took about 30 minutes to install. Make sure tuck the excess wire under the speaker otherwise it'll ratlle on higher volumes if the wire is draped over the top of the speaker cone (duh on me). Sound diff is noticeable - crisper vocals and bigger sound stage.
I'm now looking at replacing the sound bar speakers with 6x9s. The MB bracket is $80 on Amz; I found some Infinity Ref series for $80 as well. Just haven't pulled the trigger yet since the car is a lease. Not practical for sure, but I've spent more money on less impactful things than this.
Another member mentioned the best bang is the front dash, then the lower front speakers, then the sound bar. The lower front requires removal of the dash which sounds like a PITA.
I installed the Terra dash speakers in my 21 last month. They are a little pricey, but sound great. I’m thinking about installing a pair in my 23. I‘m happy with the overall performance of the Alpine system.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There is an issue with your system. Go see another dealer, this usually ends up being a software issue and they re-flash the amplifier. Very common on the vehicles with the HK stereo systems.

As a former professional MECP certified installer for 15+ years here is some advice: Run, run, and hide from the Linkswell. It looks like garbage, performs like shit and does not retain all factory information. I would bet $1000 you will not be happy with it. Go with the Stinger Heigh10 or the Alpine ReStyle both of these look OEM.... if you must change out the headunit. I personally wouldn't and use the CH41 mentioned above.The only benefit to going aftermarket is a larger screen. The CH41 will give you perfect and simple amplifier integration.(It is also plug and play)

Subwoofer - stick with one and go with it. Otherwise you have two subs in different enclosures. It is a recipe for failure and disappointment. You mentioned a stealthbox but posted something that looks like I made in my garage when I was 16. That BRP box is hideous. This is the real stealthbox: SB-J-JL4DPAS/10TW1-4

The rear speakers brackets look really good - but not sure if they are needed. I haven't even looked at the 4xE alpine system - but most of the Jeeps already have 6.5s so this may not be needed.

Everything you posted will sound like dogshit compared to working Alpine factory system. If they are re-wiring the speakers than that means they are by-passing the amp. That means your factory tweeters and 6.5s are tied together with a cheap bass blocker running 15 watts of the Linkswell, rear speakers are getting the same power. Not sure where power for sub is even coming from.

If a shop recommended all this - run and hide from them. Sounds like a ghetto backyard shop to me, probably will end up being messed up and broken panels. You have a $60,000 vehicle - don't cheap out on this project.
Stinger not supported it is documented on their site for all 4xe vehicles. I just found OEM plus audio dropped them an email let me see what they say. It appears like all upgraded Alpine gear

· Registered
80 Posts
Stinger not supported it is documented on their site for all 4xe vehicles. I just found OEM plus audio dropped them an email let me see what they say. It appears like all upgraded Alpine gear

It doesn't retain the Hyrbid screen - all other features are retained (and a lot more than the Linkswell). This is why I recommend sticking with the factory 8.4" If you have direct questions about the HEIGH10 and 4XE - I have direct contacts inside their company I can ask.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It doesn't retain the Hyrbid screen - all other features are retained (and a lot more than the Linkswell). This is why I recommend sticking with the factory 8.4" If you have direct questions about the HEIGH10 and 4XE - I have direct contacts inside their company I can ask.
I have a call with OEM plus today to talk about what their upgrade does.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts