Jeep Wrangler 4xe Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my 2018 Rubicon, the taillights lit the area when I was reversing. The 4xe is dark with a smidge of red light, I can’t see sh!t. Is it a bug since I see people having line problems or is that stock?

·
Registered
192 Posts
In my 2018 Rubicon, the taillights lit the area when I was reversing. The 4xe is dark with a smidge of red light, I can’t see sh!t. Is it a bug since I see people having line problems or is that stock?
Yeah I don’t like that either. Doesn’t show much backing up at night.

·
Registered
701 Posts
My backup camera has a smudgy look to it. Sometimes the way light hits the camera can impact it. I figure I have either internal lens dirt or sensor contamination.

Is there a difference in the lights on the 2018 or the camera?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’ll research more but didn’t see anything immediately but the 2018 had lighting. Assuming from the reverse lights on blast. The 4xe is dull and because so dark, it’s grainy.

·
Registered
21 Rubicon 4xe
35 Posts
I know that the camera mount is different on the rear if you have the front camera from the style most JL have. I don't know if the sensor is the same in the camera or not.

·
Registered
2021 Rubicon 4xe
596 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Very strange, all European cars have white reversing lights and have had for as long as I can remember....

·
Registered
91 Posts
@stewartld
Yes, we have DOT requirements in the States for white lights on the rear of the vehicle to illuminate when backing. This is mostly for indication of vehicle direction with minimal illumination requirements. The red brake lights, when illuminated, overpower the white LEDs on the Jeep and cause the poor view from the camera at night in my opinion.
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive side marker light Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've driven many times in the US in rental cars and never noticed, our reversing lights are much bigger...I wonder why the US ones are so small?
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Vehicle

·
Registered
701 Posts
I've driven many times in the US in rental cars and never noticed, our reversing lights are much bigger...I wonder why the US ones are so small? View attachment 2597
US Automotive laws can be dumb and out of date. Most of the times Euro spec stuff will be allowed here, so I don't know why manufacturers go with multiple options when one is better.

I though you had to have amber turn signals in the rear over there?

Also, is that a Sahara or Rubicon?

·
Registered
701 Posts
@stewartld
Yes, we have DOT requirements in the States for white lights on the rear of the vehicle to illuminate when backing. This is mostly for indication of vehicle direction with minimal illumination requirements. The red brake lights, when illuminated, overpower the white LEDs on the Jeep and cause the poor view from the camera at night in my opinion.
So likely, the OP's 2018 Rubicon didn't have as bright of taillights. There may have been a switch to LED.

The red wash out is quite bad in the camera.

·
Registered
47 Posts
US Automotive laws can be dumb and out of date. Most of the times Euro spec stuff will be allowed here, so I don't know why manufacturers go with multiple options when one is better.

I though you had to have amber turn signals in the rear over there?

Also, is that a Sahara or Rubicon?
Yes, amber turn signals which are in the white lens but with amber LEDs so they light up as amber. That's a Rubicon but I have a Sahara JL too with identical lights

·
Registered
701 Posts
Yes, amber turn signals which are in the white lens but with amber LEDs so they light up as amber. That's a Rubicon but I have a Sahara JL too with identical lights
Wasn't sure if the 21 Saharas had the blue hooks over there. The Euro spec Sahara looks like a Rubicon.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts